Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Lord

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hi again,
I opened the editor in the HL, and I saw there are lots of options to add things, but I havent seen the option to change existing things. is it possible ? how ?
For example: in my campaign, the duplicare power enables the character to produce a max of rank duplicates, the autofire extra is capped at half the PL, improved critical feat can be taken only hald the PL times, and we have some more "house rules" that I would like to insert (change some caps on skills, feats and powers).
Thanks,
Lord is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:11 AM
There are a series of tutorials you can access, but basically, to replace a feat, note the original ID of the feat, assign a unique one to your new (probably a copy of the old) feat/extra/etc, and then write in the old ID. I've attached an example where I've changed two Extras and a Feat.

For the Duplicates power, you'll have to read the player's PL and change progression accordingly in the Eval Rules. Ditto with the AutoFire rule. Depending on your aim there, you'll either be setting the Eval Rules to disallow it to be taken at ranks higher than PL, or you'll just restrict it to two ranks so they can either get "every 2, up to half ranks of effect" or "every 1, up to half ranks". And lastly, same with Improved Criticial.

All of those are Core powers, and therefore should be easy to modify. Things in the supplements are a bit trickier to copy, and generally require you to copy and paste multiple fields. ^_^ They're trying to avoid people copying the entirety of Ultimate Power and sharing it with their friends who haven't bought it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example Rules.zip (1.3 KB, 20 views)
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I tried it and succeeded.
Thaks
Lord is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 27th, 2010, 05:16 AM
General things that I know I didn't pick up on when I started:

While you generally have to compile your files (or individual parts of them) before using them, those changes will be present as long as the .user files are there. If you're replacing official IDs, that can get tricky. ^_^ Even more so if they become official files and suddenly you're facing conflicts between your custom files and the official ones.

Also, once you start making rules changes, you have to be careful when sending people your characters because the reference checking isn't all that great in terms of making sure that a given character has the correct rules attached.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old July 27th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
General things that I know I didn't pick up on when I started:

While you generally have to compile your files (or individual parts of them) before using them, those changes will be present as long as the .user files are there. If you're replacing official IDs, that can get tricky. ^_^ Even more so if they become official files and suddenly you're facing conflicts between your custom files and the official ones.

Also, once you start making rules changes, you have to be careful when sending people your characters because the reference checking isn't all that great in terms of making sure that a given character has the correct rules attached.

Hi,
Thanks for the warning, I think you are absolutely right.
I wont change any official rule, all I'll do is add a rule with the same name + the word "Mod". for example, I changed the "shapeshift" power, so now I have both "shapeshift" and "shapeshift Mod" powers. I sent the rules file to all the players with the HL and instructed them to take only the Mod version of a power/extra/feat/skill if exist.
Thanks again,
Lord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BardMorgan

Old September 21st, 2013, 11:18 AM
This is something I've had some luck with.

Basically, I wanted to create a Ranged Combat skill that didn't require the player to pick a particular ranged attack.

I created the skill I wanted, gave it a new unique ID that was similar but not the same as the original skill, and created a new Source for it. Then, in the Preclude tab, I added the old skill ID and the source I created, so that when the new source is loaded, the new skill shows up, and the old skill is hidden as long as the source is loaded.

Hope that helps.
BardMorgan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote