Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

crowofpyke

Old May 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Any word from Lone Wolf Development if there will be a SR5 package available for purchase by GenCon?
crowofpyke is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:51 AM
As John said earlier in this thread, it will be announced in the newsletters when we're ready to make an announcement.
Mathias is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Belirahc

Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
Not sure if anyone has looked at the Shadowrun teasers that Catalyst has been putting out, but they are moving back to the original Priorities systems for creating characters. SR4 is the only edition that I can remember that had a Build Point system, with editions 1 through 3 having Priorities. I cannot verify this as I cannot find my second edition rulebook, but I suspect since it was still FASA back then, they were still using Priorities.

Not sure if it is any faster, but it will force you to make choices about your character. Check out the 3rd SR5 preview release if you want to know more about it.
Belirahc is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old June 4th, 2013, 12:18 PM
So the character creation section preview is up,

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...n-Preview-%233

Where's my dataset for HL!?!?!?!?

Just joking ;P
nylanfs is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
crowofpyke

Old June 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belirahc View Post
Not sure if anyone has looked at the Shadowrun teasers that Catalyst has been putting out, but they are moving back to the original Priorities systems for creating characters. SR4 is the only edition that I can remember that had a Build Point system, with editions 1 through 3 having Priorities. I cannot verify this as I cannot find my second edition rulebook, but I suspect since it was still FASA back then, they were still using Priorities.

Not sure if it is any faster, but it will force you to make choices about your character. Check out the 3rd SR5 preview release if you want to know more about it.
Errrrr... I played 1st and 2nd edition back-in-the-day. I don't recall 1st ed creation entirely, but I am pretty sure it was the Priority system they are bringing back for 5th edition. And I am 99% certain that 2nd ed had the BP system as a "new option" way back then. I might have those two reversed in my old memory block.... I never played 3rd edition, so I don't what the creation system was like then.

I guess the main point is that the Priority System for creation is not new to SR.
crowofpyke is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Peter Smith

Old June 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowofpyke View Post
Errrrr... I played 1st and 2nd edition back-in-the-day. I don't recall 1st ed creation entirely, but I am pretty sure it was the Priority system they are bringing back for 5th edition. And I am 99% certain that 2nd ed had the BP system as a "new option" way back then. I might have those two reversed in my old memory block.... I never played 3rd edition, so I don't what the creation system was like then.

I guess the main point is that the Priority System for creation is not new to SR.
3rd Edition had the priority system in the core book.
Peter Smith is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mad Hamish

Old June 8th, 2013, 07:20 PM
The 5th ed priority system is a lot different from the old versions though.
Mad Hamish is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
nextekcarl

Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:05 PM
I'm reading through the PDF right now. So far my impression is that the priority system is pretty interesting and pretty crunchy. It would be worth an in depth analysis, as you have a reason now (maybe even a good one) to make race your highest priority but then pick human since you get a bonus you didn't used to get. I'm just reading the matrix rules now. I used to love deckers, but fourth edition made the rules too vague to work as written. I've heard this is better, and I hope so.
nextekcarl is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
The priority system in 5 looks approximately equivalent the the one in 4th found in the runners companion, the major difference being that the system supports street level and prime runner level games and has even more variants in the game master chapter. For the most part, it's the same and would require a little modification from 4 to work into hero lab, and the limits are just formula calculations easily handled in hero lab's compiler. The rel changes to the game are really in the rules and how things work, like hacking. Commlinks no longer have millions of pieces of software to buy, the operating system is built into the link now and handled by the device rating. Not a huge change, but implementation could take a little time. The SR 4 Hero Lab already has should be modifiable to handle the changes.

This close to the convention (GenCon) I'm not sure if they've even started working on it though. There's a lot of convention prep to worry about.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
RavenX is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
SunRunner

Old July 28th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Having had a chance to read through the most the the 5th Ed PDF I can tell you the changes are pretty substantial. They have gone old school on initiative and Made serious changes in most other areas of the game. It is still very recognizable as Shadowrun but I would describe it as closer to 2nd & 3rd Ed SR then 4th honestly.

It will require a completely different program to handle. I will also say the for the most part I like what I see, they have put together an interesting system with some good choices players will have to make. I have not identified alot of you should be doing/using this bar none and your a moron/gimping your self if your not doing / using this. The only thing I will say falls into this category is Initiative enhancers but then SR has always had that from the word go. Faster is always BETTER in SR!

Last edited by SunRunner; July 28th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
SunRunner is offline   #20 Reply With Quote