Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

ScottGamer

Old September 27th, 2018, 03:26 AM
I often play at game stores where there is no or only spotty WiFi coverage.
ScottGamer is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 27th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGamer View Post
I often play at game stores where there is no or only spotty WiFi coverage.
Unfortunately LWD don't see this as a realistic scenario that is going to last long. WiFi will become ubiquitious everywhere on the planet where they want to sell HL.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old September 27th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Unfortunately LWD don't see this as a realistic scenario that is going to last long. WiFi will become ubiquitious everywhere on the planet where they want to sell HL.
Or everyone's going to have a cheap data plan, one or the other.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 27th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Or everyone's going to have a cheap data plan, one or the other.
They said about 100k per hour. Don't need a cheap data plan for that usage level. WiFi and cell coverage is already ubiquitous, may be a couple of oddball locations, but then I guess HLO is just not for you.
Toblakai is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old September 27th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
They said about 100k per hour. Don't need a cheap data plan for that usage level. WiFi and cell coverage is already ubiquitous, may be a couple of oddball locations, but then I guess HLO is just not for you.
*snerk* You mean the thing I'm using to help my players create characters for the Pathfinder Playtest that I'm running, mentioned in my .sig?

All the places I game at are homes with broadband and wi-fi; I don't have any access issues. I'm just pedantic enough to have wanted to point out that there was an alternative to game store wi-fi.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
qcgreywolf

Old September 28th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I am an avid embracer of new technologies. Having said that, as the DM I simply cannot afford to sit down at a table with 4-6 faces staring at me and having to say "Sorry, we can't play our Pen and Paper game tonight, because *one of 50 random reasons the internet went down*."

I mean, I could just wing stuff, I've done it for years. But what's the point of using a product to do hours of planning if you can't access it when you need it. I travel a LOT for my job, and being without internet is not an uncommon situation. Even with 2 iPhones(one ATT and one Verizon), an iPad and staying at hotels (ugh... hotel internet....).

I am not late to parties or gatherings. I am early to work. I demand that my software works when "I" need it to work. No excuses.
qcgreywolf is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old September 28th, 2018, 10:59 AM
+1 gcgreywolf. My data needs to be available to me whenever I want it
Tekwych is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 28th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgreywolf View Post
I am an avid embracer of new technologies. Having said that, as the DM I simply cannot afford to sit down at a table with 4-6 faces staring at me and having to say "Sorry, we can't play our Pen and Paper game tonight, because *one of 50 random reasons the internet went down*."
Maybe get a new ISP? I have comcast and the only time the internet goes out is when the power goes out. The last time comcast was down was when we had a big wind storm and the power was out for 7 days also. Guess what? Comcast was back up in 2 days. (had a generator so got to watch tv in a dark cold house).

I also travel a lot, and yes internet can be slow, but I can't say that I have ever played from my hotel room. But the bandwidth would still have been more than enough for HLO.
Toblakai is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 28th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Maybe get a new ISP? I have comcast and the only time the internet goes out is when the power goes out. The last time comcast was down was when we had a big wind storm and the power was out for 7 days also. Guess what? Comcast was back up in 2 days. (had a generator so got to watch tv in a dark cold house).

I also travel a lot, and yes internet can be slow, but I can't say that I have ever played from my hotel room. But the bandwidth would still have been more than enough for HLO.
The comment wasn't only about your local ISP, it was also about the other networks between your local device hosting the web browser and the HLO service running on a machine somewhere in the cloud (including availability of the server itself).

VTTs need the internet, because they are usually connecting people spread around the world. A character generator/manager for my character doesn't need to talk to other computers (except for that special space situation with a shared space ship in that particular game system).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; September 28th, 2018 at 03:23 PM.
Farling is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 28th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
VTTs need the internet, because they are usually connecting people spread around the world. A character generator/manager for my character doesn't need to talk to other computers (except for that special space situation with a shared space ship in that particular game system).
Internet going down elsewhere between your ISP and the server is pretty darn rare. Now I will grant you that LWD has had their share of server outages, and this needs to get better.

Shared space ships aren't the only thing. I am looking forward to the tactical console importing characters from the other players and having real time updates for conditions/etc. In addition a shared loot system has also been talked about.

I will say I do have very poor cell reception in Costco's, but I rarely play RPG's there
Toblakai is offline   #30 Reply With Quote