Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

SAbel

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Pardon me but when I go to open the data files I can not find them. I would like to edit the list that are not showing up, ie damage for most all weapons, armor bonuses, new powers for the classes with descriptions, ect.

I Launch my editor
go to file , open data file, ddidownloader file (nothing in it to edit) try the docs file (nothing in it to edit) so does anyone know were or what I need to look for so that I can start editing this info?

Thank you,

Sean
SAbel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Create a new file in the editor, go to the category you're modifying, and click New (Copy). While that menu's open, write down the unique ID of the thing you're going to modify (it'll be in parentheses), then select that thing, and enter that unique ID in the "replaces thing ID" field on the middle right of the screen.

Now, you can make any modifications you want (you'll need to give it a different unique ID, BTW), and your changes will overwrite the old thing (but if you make too many mistakes and have to delete it, the original version still exists).
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thank you mgehl, that makes sense, now off to try it
SAbel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bomberg

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
Create a new file in the editor, go to the category you're modifying, and click New (Copy). While that menu's open, write down the unique ID of the thing you're going to modify (it'll be in parentheses), then select that thing, and enter that unique ID in the "replaces thing ID" field on the middle right of the screen.

Now, you can make any modifications you want (you'll need to give it a different unique ID, BTW), and your changes will overwrite the old thing (but if you make too many mistakes and have to delete it, the original version still exists).
But what becomes of your modified data when you are downloading a new version of the WotC data files? Does the HeroLab mechanism offer a "Only add new data" option?

Huldvoll

Baron von Bomberg
Bomberg is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
As long as the unique ID of the updated thing your new thing is replacing is still the same (which I hope is the case between updates from ddi - that's the only way things will stay on your character sheet), the replacement will still find the same thing, and HL will ignore it in favor of your new thing. I'm sure the programming of the downloader does its utmost to maintain those unique IDs or is designed to create them in a predicatable way.

You can always create a temp folder within the /data folder, move your creations there, recompile, and see whether the new upload improved anything, and then move the files back after you're done checking.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote