Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Happydevil43

Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I have stopped playing with terrain. It was simply too restrictive at the table. Setting up was not a 5 minute affair and if the players wanted to go somewhere else it completely disrupted the flow of the game.
This is my concern also...

I toyed with the idea of full terrain, but concern was that the table is not that big and it may slow down game play (its slow enough as it is).

I decided opting for somewhere in between, for rooms with combat, I plan on using things like boxes, pillars, tables etc, so that the guys can get a sense of where they can move and where they cannot, but rely on the old hand drawn map.
Happydevil43 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:31 PM
Quote:
I have a projector mounted onto the roof pointed into a mirror that projects onto the table. We use real miniatures and because the projection comes from directly above the shadows are not an issue.
Pretty much exactly matches my setup. The shadows issue is when you go to "move" the miniatures as your hand/arm blocks the projector.

But I see no squares on the map in your pictures. So maybe your not doing exact square movements. When the squares are part of the image being projected it makes it hard to count them with an arm/hand in the way.

Things to think about. Thanks

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
We absolutely use the grids. Generally the players do the movement though. They just whip in make the change and whip out. We don't have any issues with the temporary shadows at all.

We're all old 40k players though so the content of playing without a grid and measuring 1 inch without the grid is somethign we are all comfortable with.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:35 PM
We use an almost identical set up to daplunk, and never have any issues with squares either. Currently considering upgrading projecter, as it was pretty transformative for us.

PS loved seeing RW being used to project the map - again pretty much exactly how we do it!
stuartwaring is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:35 PM
I would love to use 3D terrain but it's too expensive for my budget. At most I will use Fat Dragon's paper models.
ruhar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
PS loved seeing RW being used to project the map - again pretty much exactly how we do it!
It's not

I hate RW for map display. The save button is an extra step I don't have time for. I use MapTool to display the map to the table.

RW is displayed to the players via this player facing screen which I use for NPCs, Monsters, Items, Locations, etc. Sometimes I put the map on there but rarely as it takes too long to update the fog.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:46 PM
Quote:
I agree that time was an issue with Hirst Arts. But again that's just part of the hobby and I enjoy building terrain quite a bit. I still plan on building more terrain in the future but we use it less and less for actual games now.
I'm impressed by the detail you got from Hirst Arts. A friend tried the molds out several years back and was very dissatisfied with the results. Are those plaster of paris or are you using some other casting material?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:51 PM
Anyone not happy with the results is doing something very wrong. Hirst molds are known for their details. Never use plaster or paris. It's weak and not as detailed. You want to use something like Hydrastone. It will give much better detail and last a toddler tantrum.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
joepacelli

Old July 6th, 2017, 04:49 AM
I look at these Hirst molds and what it takes to make them.
This is a lot of work but the end product does look nice.
It's going to be hard enough to paint the Dwarven Forge because I'm looking at the unpainted version and will have about 1500 pieces to paint
joepacelli is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Shadowy_one

Old July 6th, 2017, 05:49 AM
This (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...p?ref=activity) might be interesting for some of you...

I'm planning on investing in a Delux Box.
Shadowy_one is offline   #20 Reply With Quote