Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Seeker1728

Old November 26th, 2016, 01:15 PM
To those who are about to read, my sincere apologies if my question is going to be confusing. The truth of it boils down to not knowing the thing I did wrong and what subject it would fall under, so all I can describe is a symptom I want to correct, and that means I have to give you a bit of a lengthy history to make sure I give enough info to get a answer. Likewise, going to the manual is frustrating as I don't know where to look.

When I first got RW prior to the big Nov update, as I was (am still?) quite clumsy in my use of the program, I created a set of global tags under the Archtype category. Back then this was called "Scope tags" I believe? Anyway, what I thought I was doing was making sure these Archtypes would be picked up as search tags if I ever entered the ATs in a snippet anywhere (which I believe is what global/scope tags are intended for yes?).

Moving forward several weeks, my realm has evolved a good bit and I've come to realize that my using ATs was neither elegant nor useful in the context of the system I was using. So I scrapped the ATs and reassigned them to classes. But I still have these AT's showing up in every article I create as tags, which my little OCD nugget brain keeps nagging at me to fix.

So today I tried to dive into that by thinking I would just delete the entries I put into the Archtype domain. Unfortunately, the X is greyed out and it says I can't delete this.
  • So quick question on this, why can't i delete this?

Then I thought, I'll just clear all the "Shown" boxes, as that way it should no longer show those tags and rebuild the index to clear the tags from my many hundreds of articles I've created so far. Now RW is like my ex-wife, complaining I'm not doing it right

So what my question is if I entered items via a global scope and later on decided I didn't like how I had done it, how do I
  • Modify a global/scope tag
  • delete previous ones

Hopefully I asked that in a way that made sense
Seeker1728 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 26th, 2016, 01:36 PM
You can't delete a tag or tag domain as long as any of them are assigned. You're going to need to go through every topic and remove the tags. Then you can delete the tags and then the domain.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 27th, 2016, 10:10 AM
What would be useful here would be for RW to list the first - say - 20 topics preventing the waht-ever from being deleted.

You could then handle those 20 and try again, get the next 20, etc.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 27th, 2016, 10:29 AM
You can search for a particular tag and then systematically delete them from all the topics that come up.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:51 PM
If you know the tag you want to delete, filter on it. RW will show you only the topics/articles containing that tag.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 29th, 2016, 12:55 PM
It would work for tags.

(And thanks for the solution for that one.)

But if you have made a custom snippet in a custom category you want to get rid off it can be rather tiresome if you already filled that particular snippet here and there in your realm.

Hence the suggestion.

But you probably have some obvious solution for that as well :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; November 29th, 2016 at 12:58 PM.
Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Seeker1728

Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the answers folks, I'm slowly cleaning up my realm as I go on with it. Just a little more time consuming than I'd prefer so naturally, it gets put on the back burner unless it happens to pop up
Seeker1728 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 5th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
But if you have made a custom snippet in a custom category you want to get rid off it can be rather tiresome if you already filled that particular snippet here and there in your realm.

Hence the suggestion.

But you probably have some obvious solution for that as well :-)
If you want to get rid of the custom category, then you obviously want to also get rid of the custom snippet. So there real objective here is to identify all the topics based on a particular category.

To do this, switch the nav pane to show all your topics grouped by category (via preferences). You'll see all the topics for the category you want to delete in a nice grouping. Convert those topics to the desired alternate category. Then you can delete the custom category you don't want anymore.

Once you're done, you can switch the preference back to show topics via the family groupings that is the default behavior.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old December 6th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Rob, I could be wrong, but I think Vargr's point was that if a user wants to delete a defined snippet from a Category Definition, he has to first delete every existing instance of that snippet in the World Almanac. Without some way to filter for the offending snippet, he's forced to potentially scroll through hundreds of topics to find however many instances of that snippet might exist.

What might be a nice alternative could be to have RW allow the user to delete a defined snippet from the Topic Category and have the system convert any preexisting instances into custom snippets.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 6th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Actually Dr Automaton is right.

It was the snippet I wanted to get rid of - sorry to be unclear on this point.

But I will remember the way to easily get rid of a custom category for possible later use.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote