Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bidmaron

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:53 AM
RW provides for suffixes, and I tend to use them when I know I will have duplicate topics (like "Conclusion" or "Introduction"), where I put a discriminator in the suffix (e.g. "(Tomb of Horrors)").

I feel like there is more potential for this feature. Anyone else have a good use for them?
Bidmaron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:57 AM
With different suffixes you can have a topic more than once. With the prefix you can sort your topics.
tkarn is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 13th, 2016, 08:59 AM
I use the Suffix much as you describe, though depending upon what I am working on, I may use it for more specific sub-sections within a source, especially if I have made multiple separate Topics of different categories for the same "thing" (such as Location and Adventure Site for the same Place, for use in different contexts).
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Prefixes: These are easy. Room numbers, storyline chapters, dates, merchant IDs, random encounter IDs, Module numbers.... I use them all over the place.

Suffixes: Usually for something that isn't obvious like "Blood Clan" where I added "gnoll" as a suffix so I can see at a glance what type of humanoids are involved. Suffixes are special case and I rarely use them.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I use it to separate places in towns. For example i have the "Temple of god xxx" in every big town; than I use the town as an suffix.
tkarn is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 13th, 2016, 10:16 AM
You can have a topic more than once even without suffixes.
Bidmaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 13th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Without suffixes identifying topics that are named the same is a real mess. Any time I might have something like a "temple to xxxxxx" that will appear in more than one place I give it a suffix with the containing place name so I can identify which one is right if it comes up in links.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 14th, 2016, 05:57 AM
I use prefixes to order content, such as room numbers when imputting content from a published adventure. I use suffixes much more often. Either the short name for an adventure or adventure path or a short word/phrase to help distinguish similarly-named locations/people.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 14th, 2016, 07:39 PM
If you mouse-over suffix the tooltip will say:

"The content's suffix. Suffixes are used to disambiguate content with the same name.
Parentheses are added automatically e.g. The Mill (Oldtown).
To numerically sort or add map identifier numbers, use a prefix instead."

So that pretty much says everything about what the suffixes are intended for. So far, I haven't found any other uses that really calls for suffixes, because it turns out every other thing I might have wanted to use them for has better alternative solutions already (aliases, tags, relationships, a GM-directions snippet full of links, etc.)
DaFranker is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 14th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Before the really good alternative name stuff came along a bunch of patches ago I had used suffixes in a few places for descriptive parts of names I didn't want to match for links, i.e. the Liberator. I think I've cleaned all of them up now

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote