Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old February 24th, 2017, 08:23 PM
If I programmatically add content to an export file, I have to give each topic a topic_id. I'd like to know if I'm properly understanding how this works.

What I've seen so far is:
Within a given export file, each topic_id should have a value of "Topic_<nn>" for example:
topic_id="Topic_1"
topic_id="Topic_2"
topic_id="Topic_3"
(etc ...)

As a test, I created 3 new Pathfinder realms, and populated each with one spell.
Let's call them Realm1, Realm2, and Realm3.

After adding one spell to each, I did a full export of Realm1 and a full export of Realm2. Then I opened the XML for each file to check the topic_id of the spell I added to each. Each spell in each realm had the same topic_id value: topic_id="Topic_2"

I then imported Realm1 and Realm2 into Realm3, and did an export of Realm3. The result was that I had Realm3 with 3 spells, and the export showed three different topic_id values.
topic_id="Topic_2"
topic_id="Topic_3"
topic_id="Topic_4"

All this tells me that while the topic_id value should be unique within any given export file, it does NOT have to be unique relative to existing topics in the Realm you're importing into. That, apparently, will sort itself out during the import process.

So, if I create three export files, and each one has two to three thousand topics, I don't have to make sure that the topic_id values are unique across all files, just unique within each file.

Is this an accurate assessment?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 25th, 2017, 04:58 PM
From what I've seen from looking at my test exports, that seems to be the case.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
So, if I create three export files, and each one has two to three thousand topics, I don't have to make sure that the topic_id values are unique across all files, just unique within each file.

Is this an accurate assessment?
ID's (topic, plot, any of them) must be unique within the export file. They are not globally unique. They are used strictly for cross-reference within the single export file. The original_uuid is what is used to indicate content is the same thing across multiple export files. As mentioned in other threads, we don't have a solution yet for users to uniquely identify things in their generated export files to indicate things are the same between export files. The original_uuid should be treated as reserved for Realm Works use and NOT used to generate anything for personal use.

Last edited by davidp; February 26th, 2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Clarification
davidp is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 26th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
ID's (topic, plot, any of them) must be unique within the export file. They are not globally unique. They are used strictly for cross-reference within the single export file. The original_uuid is what is used to indicate content is the same thing across multiple export files. As mentioned in other threads, we don't have a solution yet for users to uniquely identify things in their generated export files to indicate things are the same between export files. The original_uuid should be treated as reserved for Realm Works use and NOT used to generate anything for personal use.
Yep. I'm steering clear of doing anything with uuids. Thanks!
EightBitz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote