Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old August 7th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Something to consider:

HL is a single thread application. What this means is, it runs one thread, thus on Core0 of your processor. HL relies on "thread to clock/core" process count, having 2, 4, or 8 cores means nothing if they are all low thread to clock, thus fewer faster Cores will help HL run well.

The weakness of the Atom is Intel based the idea that they can squeeze out decent performance with 4 small (low speed) cores, and for Windows 7/8.1/10 and many modern applications this is true. However for smaller or older apps, this actually cripples the performance.

One of the reasons the Surface runs HL so darn well is it is a very fast dual core processor.

MS has released a Surface 3 non pro running an atom, but I have no idea of the HL potential, really the dual core I3 model may be better. For the money, the I5 126BG SSD and 4GB memory is an awesome system, but its over kill for just HL.

I hope the 64bit HL on Ipad leads to 64bit windows app. I am also mystified why we do not see such a beast, my god we have been in a x64 world for an awful long time.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I know HL runs just fine on my wife's Atom based Netbook. It's not as fast as on my i7 laptop, but it works well.

The only reason I'm looking at some type of Windows tablet is for coding purposes as my laptop is just too heavy to lug around easily and while the screen of my wife's netbook is big enough (and 10" isn't much smaller) the keyboard is too small so I'd need something a little bigger (being 6'4, 290lbs means slightly bigger hands than those tiny keyboards allow).

I agree I would love to see a version of HL that took advantage of multi-cores and 64-bit, but that would likely be a whole redesign of the core program and it works well enough for me that I'd rather see an Android version first.
AndrewD2 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 7th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
Ooo one of those would be perfect for my needs ... although I'd rather have a larger BT/USB keyboard/mouse
If you're talking about the Transformer: the dock has a USB 3 port, the micro USB port on the tablet is USB OTG compatible (so you can get an adapter to connect things to it), and it has Bluetooth 4.0.

I have a compact USB mouse I use with mine sometimes, though normally I get by using the touchscreen and/or touchpad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Something to consider: ... (Summary: Atom performance is comparatively low.)
True, but for most of what these machines are aimed at doing raw performance isn't a main requirement. Cost and battery life are more important considerations.

The main things my Transformer gets used for are Internet (web and email), PDF viewing, Hero Lab and Realm Works, and Office. Performance impact is pretty minimal for those applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I am also mystified why we do not see such a beast, my god we have been in a x64 world for an awful long time.
If your application isn't in a place where 64-bit has large benefits (notably using upwards of 2 GB of RAM on systems with much more) then there isn't a lot of appeal. 32-bit applications run just fine on 32- and 64-bit systems and you don't have to maintain two builds. It's not just XP compatibility; many systems came with 32-bit Windows 7 or 8(.1) and can be upgraded to 32-bit Windows 10. (Ex: my Transformer is now running 32-bit Windows 10 Home.)

I expect that 64-bit builds will be coming, but probably not for a while. Maybe not until Microsoft requires them like Apple did...not that there's a good way for Microsoft to require people to do so. (The Microsoft Store just isn't dominant like the Apple, Google, and Amazon stores are for their respective ecosystems.)

Last edited by Parody; August 7th, 2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added response to Exmortis.
Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 7th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Yeah I know the Dock has the ports, but using the Dock means having it's Keyboard sitting there and it's not really what I want.
AndrewD2 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 7th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Yeah I know the Dock has the ports, but using the Dock means having it's Keyboard sitting there and it's not really what I want.
You can always unhook it from the dock and get a Bluetooth one you like or an OTG adapter for a USB one you like. (The micro USB port is on the tablet.)

If you know you never want to use the dock, though, you might be able to find a better deal for just a tablet. Alternatively, look into a docking/folding tablet that better fits what you want in a keyboard. Plenty of options out there. :)

Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 10th, 2015, 04:52 PM
This actually may be a winner for what I want to get (now I just need $200).

Cheap Windows Tablet
AndrewD2 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Steve
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 13th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Regarding the original proposal to purchase an older tablet for Hero Lab usage,
Hero Lab is supported on iPad 2 and iPad Mini, however for the best experience
you will have better results using iPad Air or iPad Mini 2 (or newer versions).
Steve is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
FatherThomas

Old September 8th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Has anyone tried using Hero Lab on one of those Atom-powered Windows tablets?
I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro, and HL runs just fine on it under Windows 8 and i recently upgraded to windows 10 without any issues.

I would like to see the UI get more touch friendly or the "Tablet Mode" option be enabled.
FatherThomas is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
zarberg

Old September 11th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Quote:
I've considered an iPad solely for Hero Lab (I dislike Apple and have multiple Android tablets, but since it's not supported ... yet) I'd probably look at a mini 2 if you're trying to save some money, it's around $300 and has 1GB of RAM. You can't get more unless you get an Air 2 which is expensive as all heck.

Other option is also get a Surface Pro 3 running Windows, but even the cheap ones are around $700.
I too would consider getting an iPad solely for Hero Lab use, which means I'm not getting an iPad (I refuse to buy a hardware platform for 1 piece of software). So that leaves me waiting ... like many hundreds (thousands?) of other people ... for an Android version of Hero Lab.

I would love to at least know if it's in the pipeline, even if it's as obscure as "we want it to happen, we're tentatively planning on it to happen, and just haven't started on it yet."
zarberg is offline   #19 Reply With Quote