Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

whtknt

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I don't play d20 System anymore, nor do I play White Wolf or Pathfinder d20. I don't play Cortex or Savage Worlds often enough to make it worth buying the datasets, and while we do play 4E, we use the WotC character generator for such. In short, the only two datasets I have purchased are Mutants & Masterminds and d20 System (I bought my copy of Hero Lab when d20 was the only system supported). I have given consideration to purchasing the Authoring Kit, however.

Trouble is, I guess I'm not as young (or as bright) as I used to be. Time was, I could sit down and tinker with something until I learned enough about it to build on that knowledge (I taught myself HTML code), but that just doesn't seem to be the case any longer. Even with the aid of the wiki and the Savage Worlds example, I cannot seem to make the Authoring Kit do what I want of it.

I started a Traveller (Mongoose edition) dataset a while back, but I've gotten nowhere fast with it. I just don't know enough about what I'm doing in there. I would also love to make an Alternity dataset (my group has just discovered this lost gem), but same problem. I guess that I just don't know where to start to get the results I desire.

Anyway, enough about my troubles.

I'm taking it in a new direction. Maybe if, instead of trying to build one from scratch, I try modifying an existing dataset, I can make some sense out of it.

Last week, my group wanted to do something a little different from our 4E game, so I came up with the idea of introducing them to the joy of Gamma World. But instead of having to teach them a new system, I decided to go with something that they already knew and were familiar with; Mutants & Masterminds. Even I was surprised at how well it fit, and that inspired my new direction.

I'm going to duplicate the M&M dataset and try modifying it to create characters for Gamma World. This is largely a case of adding a few new feats and items, and removing some inappropriate powers, so I might be able to muddle through it this time.

If, by some chance, it actually works like I intend, and if anyone is interested, I'll post the results here for download.
whtknt is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Yes, I know that the Lone Wolf Development team was at GenCon and had some great seminars. Unfortunately, the recession and other circumstances kept me from attending GenCon this year (and that's a very sore subject with me, so please don't ask).
whtknt is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dicefist

Old April 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Pardon my digging up this ooold thread,

Hi whtknt. I am new to Hero Lab, got on the bandwagon just now. I'm an old school gamer (D&D since 1980) running 4e d&d and Gamma World for my 11 year old and his mates from school. Wondering if you got anywhere with dataset for GW?
dicefist is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yes, did you get anywhere with the GW stuff? Did you use existing M&M stuff just "reskinned" for GW or a whole new thing?

And if you still enjoy Alternity, please download my version for HL and let me know what you think! Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Just my two cents. I love the Traveller universe, one of the most complete and interesting out there. The problem with their system is the character generation. Your character starts to play when it retires. It's like have a party of grandpa's running around. The system also inhibits working toward anything, its all about just the joy of playing rather then trying to level or better the character in some way.

My suggestion would be to readddress the character creation process into a more leveling based system. It might be easier and make for a better game play. Something more like T20 instead.

Also has anyone approached MP to see if they could get the rights to create a character creation data set?

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote