Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Snowpaw

Old October 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I just got the new book about Red Jack paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinderRPG/zombieSkyPress/v5748btpy8l55 and I want to make a half-kitsune race available. I have all the details worked out in my head, but I can't use the editor in HL to save my life. I'd either need someone to help me make this, or someone to tutor me on how to use the editor so I can do it myself. The tutorials on the wiki don't make sense to me...
Snowpaw is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old October 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm happy to answer your questions, but you'll have to be more specific in what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it. For example, what confused you about the tutorials? What is special about the half-kitsune race that you can't get working?
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Snowpaw

Old October 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I didn't understand some of the terminology. I feel like I need a programming course JUST to use the editor...I don't understand what bootstraps and tags are, or how to find the perameters, like...How do I make a feat that adds CHA bonus to attack rolls? I can't figure out what to do for that or most of the other abilities in the new book that I'd need for Fox Magic, which is a big part of even being half-kitsune.
Snowpaw is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
A bootstrap is a one way connection that ties one thing to another. That way when you add the first thing, the second also is added. For example, when you add a class, the class has a bootstrap for each class ability, all of those come onto the hero with it (although they may not yet be active).

A tag is part of what defines something in Herolab. You might think of them as sticky notes with certain words on them that can be added or removed from things in HL. You can also search for things that have a certain combination of tags and then manipulate that thing. For example, think of Full Plate armor, it has many tags like one that says "this is armor", another that says "this is heavy armor", and "this is made of metal", among many others. Tags change as you change things on your character. For example if you start a wizard, there will be no "proficient" tag on your full plate, but then when you add a level of fighter, the tag will be applied automatically.

Fields are the other main bit that defines a thing in HL, they store a value (like the field that stores the armor bonus for full plate), or a bit of text (like the description of full plate), and they can also be modified by the user. Most of them anyway.

How you manipulate things in HL is through eval scripts. If I understand your problem, you want to add CHA in addition to STR, right? You can do that with a script like this.

~ This part says "go to hero, then to the hero's child thing 'Attack', then to that thing's field 'tAtk' and get the value
hero.child[Attack].field[tAtk].value

~ This means add to, others are subtract "-=", divide "/=", and multiply "*="
+=

~ This part means "go to the hero, then the hero's child Charisma, then that thing's field aModBonus and get the value"
hero.child[aCHA].field[aModBonus].value

~ So put them together
~ Add the value of our charisma modifier to our attack bonus' value.
hero.child[Attack].field[tAtk].value += hero.child[aCHA].field[aModBonus].value
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:39 AM
My explanation has been flagged for moderator approval, for some reason, it is incoming
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Snowpaw

Old October 16th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Okay, that makes sense now. So the feat would function with an eval script. It wouldn't really need any bootstraps or tags to make it appear right on my character (I'm not using this in D20Pro, so I don't need it to function fully, just appear right so I don't have warnings.). Instead, I'd put the bootstrap on the race for this feat, since it's automatic at level 1, and any other racials like Low-Light (which I think is on the racial options, conveniently enough.) and i'm good. Thanks. I really wish I could add all the fox magic stuff in...but I'm just not good enough yet with the system. I think the biggest thing I have a problem with is sometimes it doesn't delete the UniqueIDs when I delete an item. So I can't remake said item later.
Snowpaw is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpaw View Post
I think the biggest thing I have a problem with is sometimes it doesn't delete the UniqueIDs when I delete an item. So I can't remake said item later.
Do a Ctrl-R to reload the game system. If the unique ID is not there to load it won't load it.

If Ctrl-R does not work you have not activated the Developer tools which are VERY handy to have. Go to "Develop->Enable Data File Debugging".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote