Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Fuzzy

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The big problem with a purely web-based approach is that everyone *has* to have an internet connection. There are still many gaming venues, especially large Cons, where internet access is unavailable, horribly slow, and/or expensive. So a purely web-based model is hamstrung out of the gate due to this limitation. We're using a hybrid approach with our upcoming Realm Works product, and we're looking at hybrid solutions for future use with Hero Lab as well.
So go ahead with the iPad version, but for those of us who DO have internet wherever we go (most of us in our pocket) - any way you could at least implement some sort of API to request information from the HL running on a PC? Then the community could develop the web page's to display, and feedback updates to said data?
Fuzzy is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Scargap

Old August 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
You don't want access to any other info at all? And you don't want to fold you changes back into any saved portfolios?

How many others here would prefer something like that?
I doubt very much i would do very many character designs on my tablet. It is much easier to build characters on my desktop. Don't get me wrong, I will buy the HL for my android tablet when it becomes available... with one qualifier. It would have to use the data packs I have already bought for my desktop. I have bought 95% of the Pathfinder packs and don't relish the idea of buying them again.

It certainly would useful look at the character sheet as an option inside a combat app but i don't see any need to do any permanant adjustment to it.
Scargap is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 6th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargap View Post
I doubt very much i would do very many character designs on my tablet. It is much easier to build characters on my desktop. Don't get me wrong, I will buy the HL for my android tablet when it becomes available... with one qualifier. It would have to use the data packs I have already bought for my desktop. I have bought 95% of the Pathfinder packs and don't relish the idea of buying them again.

It certainly would useful look at the character sheet as an option inside a combat app but i don't see any need to do any permanant adjustment to it.
By permanent adjustments, Rob also means changes like deleting a potion that you've drunk, or marking off the arrows you used, or recording the gold you spent paying for a ferry passage.
Mathias is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Scargap

Old August 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM
What i am looking for is an intiative tracker program that i can import the data in from my HL characters. Something similiar to "combat assistant" for the android platform. I certainly wouldnt say no to more features such as viewable character sheets and the like.

I thought about trying to program it myself, but i havent programmed for 20 years.
Scargap is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Scargap

Old August 7th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
By permanent adjustments, Rob also means changes like deleting a potion that you've drunk, or marking off the arrows you used, or recording the gold you spent paying for a ferry passage.
Adjusting these through the tactical console while interesting isn't important to me. This is something my players take care of with pen and paper. As the referee i don't any more details to take care.
Scargap is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old August 7th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
You don't want access to any other info at all? And you don't want to fold you changes back into any saved portfolios?

How many others here would prefer something like that?
Please don't do this. I use Hero Lab as a living character sheet, no matter what side of the screen I'm on. I actually don't use the tactical console, as d20Pro takes care of all that stuff.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
Please don't do this. I use Hero Lab as a living character sheet, no matter what side of the screen I'm on. I actually don't use the tactical console, as d20Pro takes care of all that stuff.
I agree completely. In my opinion the Tactical Console is a nice-to-have, but the character sheet manipulation is a must have.
mirtos is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
AncientOne

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
So go ahead with the iPad version, but for those of us who DO have internet wherever we go (most of us in our pocket) - any way you could at least implement some sort of API to request information from the HL running on a PC? Then the community could develop the web page's to display, and feedback updates to said data?
I've often wished that there was a way for my custom sheet to make HTTP requests back to Hero Lab. That would open up all kinds of slick possibilities!

For example, I could have the sheet--optionally--use a timer to make AJAX calls and check for updates periodically. That would allow the sheet to stay in sync with in-play adjustments without doing a complete regenerate of the sheet.
AncientOne is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientOne View Post
I've often wished that there was a way for my custom sheet to make HTTP requests back to Hero Lab. That would open up all kinds of slick possibilities!

For example, I could have the sheet--optionally--use a timer to make AJAX calls and check for updates periodically. That would allow the sheet to stay in sync with in-play adjustments without doing a complete regenerate of the sheet.
Exactly what I was envisioning as step one. Once the API is in place so that any 3rd party app/program could push/pull things/picks, and collections thereof, to and from HL, a LOT of options become available. Imagine an extension for already existing VTT softwares, for instance, that can simply call this data direct from HL in real time, instead of dealing with the export/change/re-import nightmares.
Fuzzy is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Exactly what I was envisioning as step one. Once the API is in place so that any 3rd party app/program could push/pull things/picks, and collections thereof, to and from HL, a LOT of options become available. Imagine an extension for already existing VTT softwares, for instance, that can simply call this data direct from HL in real time, instead of dealing with the export/change/re-import nightmares.
I would like this if HL actually imported into d20Pro right. As of now, I have to fix skills, modify attacks, and add actual effects to the abilities. If there was real time updates, then the things I have to fix with every import would just reset every few minutes. If
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #30 Reply With Quote