Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RayPrancer

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
How do I code so that, for example, an Ability that can only be picked three times presents an error message if more than three picks are made. I'm pretty sure I need to count the number of times it's picked, but not sure what the code to do so is or the correct syntax for the "iserror"

A more explicit example: I have an ability called Extra Elemental Reduction with the Unique ID abXElemRed - it's limited to seven picks, so an error needs to appear if the number of picks satisfies the conditions "abXElemRed > 7".

It's not simply a matter of saying
Code:
if abXElemRed < 8 then 
  @valid
endif
so where am I going wrong?

I'm trying to create the ability via the editor rather than the data files, as it is dependant on a source.

Last edited by RayPrancer; March 7th, 2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Tested code, didn't work.
RayPrancer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think I've found a script that should work (adapted from the prerequisite script for one of the abilities in the sample ability) but can't work out where to add it.

Code:
if (#trait[abXElemRed] >= 7) then
          @valid = 0
          done
          endif
        altthing.linkvalid = 1
I'm trying to run this at validation index 1 priority 100 under it's own Eval Scripts, but am sure this is not that right place - especially as it's not working. I also tried setting up a new mechanic called Max Picks and having it be a prerequisite for that.
RayPrancer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Your first clue for whether to put this test comes from your very own post. You adapted the script from a pre-requisite script on an ability, so you should probably set this up as a pre-requisite as well.

If you're using the Editor, you can add a pre-requisite test via the "Pre-reqs" button. Your script can be written as you have it above, except that I don't think you need the last line (with "linkvalid"). You can also simplify the script if you'd like, as shown below.

Code:
validif (#trait[abXElemRed] < 7)
Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote