Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Xorial

Old May 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Starfinder RPG announced. Seeing as this will be a stand-alone RPG, will Hero Lab end up making a separate setting rules set for it?

Lo, there do I see my Father..
Lo, there do I see my Mother
And my Sisters and my Brothers..
Lo, there do I see the line
Of my people back to the beginning..
Thay do bid me to take my place among them..
In the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the Brave may live forever.
Xorial is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 29th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorial View Post
Starfinder RPG announced. Seeing as this will be a stand-alone RPG, will Hero Lab end up making a separate setting rules set for it?
I almost posted yesterday when this came out.

I see no value in a separate game system. It uses ALL pathfinder rules meaning I can have a normal Half-Orc Wizard in Starfinder. All the same races exist and are usable. Making a separate game system in HL would defeat half the benefit of Starfinder actually as its 100% backwards compatible to Pathfinder rules.

I am pretty excited for this actually especially that the first Starfinder AP will launch next GenCon with the core rule book.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 30th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I see no value in a separate game system. It uses ALL pathfinder rules meaning I can have a normal Half-Orc Wizard in Starfinder. All the same races exist and are usable. Making a separate game system in HL would defeat half the benefit of Starfinder actually as its 100% backwards compatible to Pathfinder rules.
According to the developer posting on the blog discussion today, that's not the case. From that description, the Pathfinder -> Starfinder compatibility is going to be more like the "you can convert 3.5 stuff to Pathfinder pretty easily" situation; there are going to be explicit differences (AC has been mentioned).

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 30th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
According to the developer posting on the blog discussion today, that's not the case. From that description, the Pathfinder -> Starfinder compatibility is going to be more like the "you can convert 3.5 stuff to Pathfinder pretty easily" situation; there are going to be explicit differences (AC has been mentioned).
This is the understanding we got out of a short briefing from Paizo. Our expectation is that there will be a lot of similarities, but there will also be some stark differences to better tailor the game to the needs of the SciFi setting. For a sense of the adaptations we're anticipating (we don't know any details at this point), look at some of the changes Wizards and Fantasy Flight made when adapting existing systems to Star Wars. So we are currently expecting that there will be an independent game system within Hero Lab to allow us to optimally support the deviations introduced in StarFinder.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Xorial

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This is the understanding we got out of a short briefing from Paizo. Our expectation is that there will be a lot of similarities, but there will also be some stark differences to better tailor the game to the needs of the SciFi setting. For a sense of the adaptations we're anticipating (we don't know any details at this point), look at some of the changes Wizards and Fantasy Flight made when adapting existing systems to Star Wars. So we are currently expecting that there will be an independent game system within Hero Lab to allow us to optimally support the deviations introduced in StarFinder.
This is what I was thinking would have to happen. Personally, I would rather it would be this way. Less hacking of the system to shoe-horn a mechanic into it.

Lo, there do I see my Father..
Lo, there do I see my Mother
And my Sisters and my Brothers..
Lo, there do I see the line
Of my people back to the beginning..
Thay do bid me to take my place among them..
In the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the Brave may live forever.
Xorial is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorial View Post
This is what I was thinking would have to happen. Personally, I would rather it would be this way. Less hacking of the system to shoe-horn a mechanic into it.
It's possible, I guess, that the changes to Starfinder would be on the order of, say, Pathfinder Unchained in difficulty to add to the existing Pathfinder system, but realistically it's going to be months before Lone Wolf knows for sure.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 31st, 2016, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I have to totally disagree and hope this is NOT the case at all. I don't see many if any mechanical changes required for Starfinder to work. Its already said to be 100% backwards compatible and Paizo wants to be able to use existing Bestiary books. Paizo is not WotC so I don't see them requiring people to rebuy all new books to support this which is what WotC always did. Paizo had previously said that creating such a rift in the player base is a bad business design that they where not interested in supporting.

Paizo wants to make sure that all the books I have on my shelf are usable out the door. So new skills, new feats, some new class ideas. But the mention of AC as a change could be a total re-write like they did for Ultimate Combat to something as small as a new bonus type that adds to all three AC values. Just because people "want" a rewrite of Pathfinder does not mean that is what they are getting.

We will know more in the future but I honestly see the changes the same as Unchained and Ultimate Combat's "Optional" rules. Those have different AC designs and small tweaks like that can be rolled into HL easily.

Big issues with two different game systems is what happens when I want to use a B1 Monster in Starfinder? Is LW going to require everyone rebuy every Pathfinder book in Starfinder again? I can't see people liking that idea at all even myself. =( So for those that are asking LW to make a new game system it means that your existing .user files and Bestiary Monsters are not usable. All those Encounter Builder tools would no longer have that HUGE list of monsters to pull from. Please keep this in mind when asking LW to make a new game system.

I have to say if I am wrong and this is Pathfinder 2.0 and Starfinder requires a whole new version of HL I mostly likely will never switch to it. My players are too busy and too stuck now to want to learn a new system that is close but has lots of little changes. Oh well...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
DreadKatak

Old July 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I almost posted yesterday when this came out.

I am pretty excited for this actually especially that the first Starfinder AP will launch next GenCon with the core rule book.
Late to the show and not caught up yet on this thread, but here goes anyway:

I hope that it does get its own rules block. There are enough differences, just from what I read in the 'The First Contact' primer. Of course, nothing in that first look is guaranteed to be official, but there were enough changes that seemed more like hacks to me.

I feel that it makes sense to make a rules setting specifically for Starfinder that allows Pathfinder content to be imported easily rather than the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We're intending to support Starfinder, although we weren't at PaizoCon, so we know less than the people there at this point.
I came to check the forums specifically hoping that Lone Wolf was looking at Starfinder and I'm glad to hear that they are!

Last edited by DreadKatak; July 19th, 2017 at 02:11 PM.
DreadKatak is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 19th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadKatak View Post
I came to check the forums specifically hoping that Lone Wolf was looking at Starfinder and I'm glad to hear that they are!
It consumes my every waking thought.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 19th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Exalted kind of beat them to the punch on this. Shards of the Exalted Dream did a damn good job taking white wolf's games into space. Scarlett Empress as the head of the Galactic Senate with Darth Vader at her side. I couldn't ask for a better sci fi ruleset.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #10 Reply With Quote