Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Paragon

Old May 17th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I just realized that, to use the program during play effectively, what you usually want to do is leave the Armory tab open, since its the only way to see weapon damage and ranges and the other things you need at one time. I'm used, in other game systems (M&M and D&D 4e) to being able to find all that on the Special tab. Does it seem odd SW doesn't use that tab for these sorts of thing to anyone else?
Paragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 17th, 2017, 02:03 PM
I largely only use HL for Savage Worlds (although I've also used it some for Fate Core). So I guess I can say it wouldn't seem odd to me. Actually the main tab I use the most is the In-Play tab and when I want to see the weapon stuff I just hover my mouse over it if needed... or at least that's what I would do when I was using HL more at the table. These days I use HL more for the initial build and continued sanity checking during advances but after the build I transfer the character to Fantasy Grounds and use that at the table. In part because it has a nice dice roller but also because of the ability to add modifiers across the board, such as selecting the "Wild Attack" effect and having it automatically apply the appropriate plusses and minuses until the effect is removed. Come to that I suppose that kind of thing might be nice to have on the in-play setup with HL or, as we've been discussing a bit here in another thread, possibly having that available in an HTML version of the character sheet kind of like Ancient One does in Pathfinder. (Yeah, I said I don't use HL for that, and I don't, but while looking for some alternatives to the character sheets I ran across his stuff on the Pathfinder forum and found it to be pretty interesting.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I just realized that, to use the program during play effectively, what you usually want to do is leave the Armory tab open, since its the only way to see weapon damage and ranges and the other things you need at one time. I'm used, in other game systems (M&M and D&D 4e) to being able to find all that on the Special tab. Does it seem odd SW doesn't use that tab for these sorts of thing to anyone else?
I have not used it during game either. I tend to use Character builders for building characters and then use Maptool for automation(if I feel like setting up stuff) or an android SW dice app if I don't feel like rolling real dice. I did something similar when I was playing D&D 4e a few years ago.

I originally purchased Herolab and used the free Pathfinder starter set to make up a Pathfinder Society character(one of our group wanted to play test a few things he was hoping to submit to be part of organized play), but ended up only playing him 2-3 times. So, yea, I purchased a $30 piece of software for what was effectively a one shot game. Then some things in my life happened and I had to quit gaming for a few years and now that I am back, I am going to convert my originral D&D 4E campaign world to Savage Worlds(played a few random one shots with Deadlands, some type of space nazi thing, and a very short lived supers campaign(4 sessions). I CAN say, that during that time(before editing was available), having my character on the IPad(though it was a borrowed one, I have android!) was immensely helpful.

So... I have not really spent much time really playing with the in game stuff and besides, my group are mostly old school and want real dice and cards and stuff(have not played as of yet, but the guys are excited about beginning). I did do a few tests of the tac console, but did not give it a good kick. I had also thought to take some of the stuff Zarlor mentioned with his character sheet and try to expand on it similar to what AncientOne did for Pathfinder(but not quite as far). While I am by no means a UI developer(I do back end development for work), I am sure with enough time and proding, I could make up somethign with some options for common modifiers and a moderately pleasing looking character sheet in html so that at the table would work for anyone with an android or IPad(sans ability to permanently "save" of course).

I will spend some more time when I get free moments here and there to give more input into this subject, but I am ALL for extending things where possible to make life easier on the GM/Players.
jfrazierjr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote