Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

CptCoots

Old January 17th, 2016, 08:23 AM
So I'm building a game using a TON of the d20 set-up. The major differences lie in what things are called (Species instead of Race; Vitality instead of Hit Points). I do not believe there is an easy way to change these within the Editor so I wanted to crack open the d20Core.pkg file so I can just make everything into .dat files and edit all willy-nilly. Anyone know how to go about this?
CptCoots is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 17th, 2016, 09:47 AM
That would be called "hacking" and would be totally illegal. Even if I knew how to break LW's encryption I would NOT share it.

That file is encrypted on purpose because if you got access too it you could take any thing you wanted for FREE. No reason to pay LW for its games. So no you can't do what your asking or expect any help from anyone here on doing that.

If you really want to build something that different the "Authoring" kit is what you need to use. That lets you build new game systems from the ground up and you will even get help from LW.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CptCoots

Old January 17th, 2016, 02:51 PM
What sucks is that I just want to remove/rename things. So what I'm realizing is that I'd have to reinvent the d20 system just to, for example, rename Race with the word Species
CptCoots is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 17th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCoots View Post
What sucks is that I just want to remove/rename things. So what I'm realizing is that I'd have to reinvent the d20 system just to, for example, rename Race with the word Species
Then honestly you would be better off just "ignoring" such a little issue in the UI and use the editor to add or make other changes.

You can hide the normal core races and languages and stuff. But many keywords are built into the "UI" and that part is property of LW. This would be the same issue for say currency its all setup to deal with "Gold". Once you get into that kind of territory then really a new game system built in the Authoring kit is the best way. You gain 100% control over EVERYTHING then.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CptCoots

Old January 17th, 2016, 06:47 PM
We got off on the wrong tone because I think you may have assumed, or made the logical conclusion, that I wanted to steal some stuff. What I wanted was a way to start with d20 and edit it in a manner that was subtractive (I can do this with Hidden and I ahve done so); Replacative (not a word but should be); and additive (which is the strength of the Authoring kit so long as it isn't an actual mechanic addition).
Starting from scratch sounds terrifying, so I wanted to start with a base that I could edit directly that wasn't the skeleton.

I also should have used a less loaded word that Cracking. I was honestly and naively curious as to how to open it.

Last edited by CptCoots; January 17th, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
CptCoots is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 19th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Quote:
We got off on the wrong tone because I think you may have assumed, or made the logical conclusion, that I wanted to steal some stuff.
No issue I am not upset. I just wanted to be "crystal" clear about what could happen if you got into the .pkg file. That and wanted to make sure it was clear for any future readers.

Quote:
Starting from scratch sounds terrifying, so I wanted to start with a base that I could edit directly that wasn't the skeleton.
Not disagreeing with you on that one. At the same time it could be very rewarding and end up "exactly" how you want things.

Based on the fact that others have asked LW to release the d20 "source code" and they have not. I just wouldn't expect that to change but I have no direct control over it. So I can't say it will never happen. The other thing that could happen is that LW decides to hire a full time person to add Modern d20 or Star Wars support and stuff into the d20 game system.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote