Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

CptCoots

Old August 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Okay, so I'm not going to give away what I'm doing, but I have two questions that should be able to be answered without context:
1) When you have a hero without a class, like say an Ape, I've noticed that if you give that animal a Custom Ability (i.e., you want him to select something) that it doesn't work because there is nowhere to show up. This basically means that without class levels the only way to give a hero a choice from a fly-out (drop down) menu is through a feat. Is this right or is there a slick way to put the Custom Ability in the Racial section without having to screw with the monster definition itself (i.e., mApe2)?
For example: Suppose I wanted the Ape to be able to choose between a few select special abilities, is there a way to get the Custom Ability selection process to show up without giving him a class?
2) Is there a way to create a special ability for all members of a race that looks at your hero's selected race and gives it to him if conditions are met? in other words, can I not edit each animal's definition but create a special ability that looks to see if the hero's race is applicable to it?
For example: Suppose I wanted all apes, monkeys, and bears to have a milk squirt special ability (Definately not what I'm actually doing BTW), but I don't want to go through and physically add this to each monster entry that qualifies as one of these. I want to create a special ability in such a way that it will automatically add itself to such a hero.

If we can get the answers to this then I'll have built something sublimely portable that is wicked useful. If we cannot, then the functionality will still be present, but it would involve replacing a ton of races in the standard distribution.
CptCoots is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:14 PM
1) In a word, no. However, you can do something I did, I gave each creature a special ability with a charge, where the special ability bootstrapped an ability onto the creature only if the charge box was checked. For example, Animated Objects have abilities based on their shape and size, so I made a few abilities called Trample Chooser, Fly Chooser, Grab Chooser, etc. that appear in the In Play tab as things I can check, and those that are checked are added to the creature based on the condition that they are checked. Make sense?
2)In a way, what I mentioned above works for this as well. There are not many ways to 'automatically' apply an ability to an animal. I'm not saying it is impossible, just tricky. Something I did was find something that was assigned to everything (the conditions appear on everything, for example), and then add a script on them that looks at the hero, and if the hero is a monkey, ape, or bear, then the bootstrapped milk squirt condition is met, otherwise don't assign the creature that ability. It's a very hackish way to do things though, I would strongly suggest adding the special ability to each.
Otherwise you have alot of junk scripting carried around by each hero, most of which won't even make use of it (but the script is always run).

Hope that is some help.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote