Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2020, 10:08 AM
We're here and we're listening, we just don't always have time to reply. As a company, we're trying to make do for the time being with a smaller staff than we've had in the past. That means fewer people are stretched thinner (I, for instance, should probably be writing code right now )

Duggan is right that we've been burned in the past. To be clear, plenty of that responsibility is on us still. We get excited about new ideas, underestimate how difficult they are to implement, and have to scale back/delay, causing understandable disappointment. As a result, we've garnered a somewhat deserved reputation over the past few years of promising too much and delivering too little.

Speaking personally (and not for LWD as a whole), I've started to think with a new philosophy: speak with what we ship. Promises of what might or might not happen sometime this year or next are no good to anyone, especially when they seem to rarely manifest. People asked for campaign demo access and group licensing, so we worked hard on those and have delivered our initial version of that. And we'll keep on iterating on those and polishing. "Show, don't tell."

All I ask of you all is that you keep this in mind: You're probably used to dealing with giant, faceless corporations, with armies of PR people dedicated to spinning whatever BS their upper management wants you to hear. Here you're dealing with a surprisingly small group of dedicated (and in some cases, very overworked *cough* Rob *cough*) gamers who are doing our damnedest to make something we love, and share it with all of you.
Joe is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
LotsOfLore

Old February 29th, 2020, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We're here and we're listening, we just don't always have time to reply. As a company, we're trying to make do for the time being with a smaller staff than we've had in the past. That means fewer people are stretched thinner (I, for instance, should probably be writing code right now )

Duggan is right that we've been burned in the past. To be clear, plenty of that responsibility is on us still. We get excited about new ideas, underestimate how difficult they are to implement, and have to scale back/delay, causing understandable disappointment. As a result, we've garnered a somewhat deserved reputation over the past few years of promising too much and delivering too little.

Speaking personally (and not for LWD as a whole), I've started to think with a new philosophy: speak with what we ship. Promises of what might or might not happen sometime this year or next are no good to anyone, especially when they seem to rarely manifest. People asked for campaign demo access and group licensing, so we worked hard on those and have delivered our initial version of that. And we'll keep on iterating on those and polishing. "Show, don't tell."

All I ask of you all is that you keep this in mind: You're probably used to dealing with giant, faceless corporations, with armies of PR people dedicated to spinning whatever BS their upper management wants you to hear. Here you're dealing with a surprisingly small group of dedicated (and in some cases, very overworked *cough* Rob *cough*) gamers who are doing our damnedest to make something we love, and share it with all of you.
Thank you for your time and effort. I have just now had a look at the new subscription plan offers... To be completely honest, a PAID demo access (15 $ per year) is not exactly what I was looking for. But I'm sure some people will find this suitable.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

P.S.: your editing of my thread title should actually read [Now Available, Sort Of...].

Last edited by LotsOfLore; February 29th, 2020 at 12:37 AM.
LotsOfLore is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old February 29th, 2020, 02:10 PM
Where do you get $15/year from? The HLO Demo is free and includes trial Campaign Theater.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 29th, 2020, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Where do you get $15/year from? The HLO Demo is free and includes trial Campaign Theater.
Yes, I have a demo account, and just tried the campaign theatre. Be aware that you can't delete characters from your theatre, and are limited to 3 or 4 characters in various places.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 29th, 2020, 02:41 PM
We were able to have a free Demo account join a Patron-level Campaign. It looked to us like a free account can play a character but not edit/level it; that needs the Apprentice-level account (or having the GM do it). Admittedly, we only took a quick look at it (this is our 4e weekend, not our PF2 weekend).

Edited to add that we were able to transfer the character from Member-Controlled to GM-Controlled, which removed it from the Demo account. That should allow the GM to edit/level the character when needed and then transfer it back.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; February 29th, 2020 at 02:47 PM.
charlieluce is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 29th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Edited to add that we were able to transfer the character from Member-Controlled to GM-Controlled, which removed it from the Demo account. That should allow the GM to edit/level the character when needed and then transfer it back.
I doubt that the demo account will be allowed to receive the levelled-up character.

It would negate the need for any sort of "player-only" account subscription level.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 29th, 2020, 06:00 PM
Since the character we used was 4th level, it can certainly view the character without a problem. We didn't try using it in combat, though. If I get a chance I'll play around with it some more.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
DJalin1

Old March 2nd, 2020, 08:30 PM
Hey Gang,
So long time Hero Lab user here with plenty invested in product.
So trying to figure out the levels of access for my gaming group. From what I can tell The Demo Account lets a player control a Patron Created and Leveled PC but not level or edit? While The Apprentice Account gives full access to the shared content to level inside of Campaign. Sound Right?

Also, would like to be able to see Player controlled PCs as the DM without having to transfer them back all the time.
DJalin1 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old March 3rd, 2020, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJalin1 View Post
From what I can tell The Demo Account lets a player control a Patron Created and Leveled PC but not level or edit? While The Apprentice Account gives full access to the shared content to level inside of Campaign. Sound Right?
correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJalin1 View Post
Also, would like to be able to see Player controlled PCs as the DM without having to transfer them back all the time.
i believe they've said this capability is coming, just not implemented quite yet
dacoobob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote