Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Silveras

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:29 PM
I don't know that this is specifically related, but since installing the beta I have had a number of "ACCESS VIOLATION" issues with "Bad Read" messages while using HeroLab from Realm Works to access the Rise of the Runelords Encounter Library.

Specifically, after successfully importing several encounters, the next encounter has a problem.

The first time it happened, I tried again and had the same result. Then I launched HeroLab separately, and had the same thing happen. Re-downloading the beta HL file "fixed" it, but...

After successfully importing a few more encounters, the same error occurred. In that case, launching HeroLab externally allowed me to access the Encounter Library. Returning to Realm Works and trying again the succeeded.

After successfully importing a few more encounters, the same happened. Exiting "Edit More" and then returning to it, I was then able to launch HeroLab from Realm Works and succeed in importing the desired encounter.

After successfully importing a few more encounters, the same happened. Exiting "Edit More" and then returning to it, I was able to launch HeroLab from Realm Works but did NOT succeed in importing the desired encounter. In that instance, launching HeroLab externally was again able to access the Encounter. Re-launching from Realm Works, I was able to import the encounter successfully.

I am not seeing anything consistent in terms of what clears the condition. Poking at a few re-tries in various ways has been good enough to resume work for now, but it is annoying, and did not start until Saturday, after I downloaded this beta Friday evening.

Naturally, crash files and emails sent.
Silveras is online now   #11 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 5th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I don't feel so strange now. My first reaction to this on the "Class" area and only after I selected a class was that it was TOO MUCH info in my face. I like minimalist UI stuff and this is just feels like too much info.

For something that I am going to use "one" time only for a character it is taking up allot of room in the UI. I much prefer the little existing area on the "Configure Your Hero" window. That is an area that is used pretty much rarely which makes sense as 99% of its settings you set one time.

By leaving this on the Class tab I guarantee you my players will constantly change there money using this section of HL instead of the journal.
Having starting cash in the Configure Hero window works great if it's something you set before building a character. Unfortunately it's dependent on character class and level, so it needs to be something you choose after you pick your class (for level 1 PCs) or level (for NPCs and level 2+ PCs).

We considered putting it behind a button (i.e. a "starting cash" button that opened a separate window with the details) but I didn't think that was discoverable enough - too easy to miss the button if you're not paying attention. The UI disappears as soon as you add money via the journal, so you shouldn't see it for long.

Your point about players using this to record money found during the game is well-taken, and one we're trying to avoid. I think we can solve that, and the other issue you found of starting cash changing as you level up, by adding an "accept starting cash" button, like you suggested in your posts after this one.

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it!
Colen is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 5th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Quote:
From playing with the journal it appears HL is assuming I will spend all my starting cash. If I got to the journal and subtract out -391 gp then the "starting cash" from the Classes tab goes away. But that is not realistic that a player spends 100% of there starting cash.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here - how does it look like HL is expecting you spend all your starting cash? You should be able to leave as much as you like unspent (as long as you don't mind carrying around the weight of thousands of gp ).
Colen is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 5th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Played around with the Mechanics section for redoing cash names including renaming gp, changing its weight, and adding a new coin type. I tried to zero weight the gp by adding a zero and nothing changed. If I changed that to -1 then I was able to zero out the gp weight. Zero did work for the new coin type I added.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see if we can figure out a more consistent way to specify that the starting 4 coins are zero-weight.
Colen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 5th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Thinking maybe the easy way to do this is if "any" transaction with cash happens lock down the Starting Cash UI section. Looks like we have a tag called Hero.StartCshFr that does just this. So maybe just apply that tag as soon as any item purchased/sold or money is earned/sold on the Journal tab.

That to me is a pretty good signal that I have finished setting the starting cash because I am buying gear.
We actually do this on the journal tab - as soon as you add cash via the journal, the starting cash UI disappears and the amount is locked (or at least is intended to be, the bugs you found notwithstanding). So we are on the same page there.

I think doing it when you buy something is a bit premature - I can easily see someone buying their gear, then deciding "This isn't nearly enough money" and going back to add the Rich Parents trait to get more.
Colen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 5th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I don't know that this is specifically related, but since installing the beta I have had a number of "ACCESS VIOLATION" issues with "Bad Read" messages while using HeroLab from Realm Works to access the Rise of the Runelords Encounter Library.

Specifically, after successfully importing several encounters, the next encounter has a problem.

The first time it happened, I tried again and had the same result. Then I launched HeroLab separately, and had the same thing happen. Re-downloading the beta HL file "fixed" it, but...

After successfully importing a few more encounters, the same error occurred. In that case, launching HeroLab externally allowed me to access the Encounter Library. Returning to Realm Works and trying again the succeeded.

After successfully importing a few more encounters, the same happened. Exiting "Edit More" and then returning to it, I was then able to launch HeroLab from Realm Works and succeed in importing the desired encounter.

After successfully importing a few more encounters, the same happened. Exiting "Edit More" and then returning to it, I was able to launch HeroLab from Realm Works but did NOT succeed in importing the desired encounter. In that instance, launching HeroLab externally was again able to access the Encounter. Re-launching from Realm Works, I was able to import the encounter successfully.

I am not seeing anything consistent in terms of what clears the condition. Poking at a few re-tries in various ways has been good enough to resume work for now, but it is annoying, and did not start until Saturday, after I downloaded this beta Friday evening.

Naturally, crash files and emails sent.
Sorry you're running into problems! Can you please send me your fogbugz case number so I can have a look?
Colen is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Sorry you're running into problems! Can you please send me your fogbugz case number so I can have a look?
Case numbers Sent via email
Silveras is online now   #17 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here - how does it look like HL is expecting you spend all your starting cash? You should be able to leave as much as you like unspent (as long as you don't mind carrying around the weight of thousands of gp ).
Sorry you sort of had to read through my posts as one long post.

What I was saying is that after I purchased gear I had 391gp left. To get the Starting Cash UI to go away on the Classes tab I had to use the journal to zero out all my cash by doing a -391gp. From what your saying any gp spent on the journal tab will do this. That I guess makes sense as you assume someone during an adventure will "earn" gp on the journal tab.

The issue with the above assumption is that my group does not divide treasure until the end of a chapter. This means they can gain several levels but no gp. The money is kept in a party kitty that pays for everything until the group has enough to evenly divide treasure.

But I do think a "Finished" button will make allot of this more intuitive for games to work with. Also now that I know this Starting Cash UI goes away my initial comment about it being too much is resolved.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 6th, 2017, 08:16 AM
The starting cash display may "go away" after you make a Journal update.. but that's not much help when looking at a Monster or NPC for which there will not be any Journal update.

In such cases, attempting to "0" the starting gold and click "Accept Default Starting Cash" re-sets the value and adds it to the 0 on the pre-existing creature.

For Players, I think the functionality is probably fine. For GMs, though, where the use of starting cash probably affects less than 50% of the creatures they create and manipulate, the display is cumbersome and intrusive.
Silveras is online now   #19 Reply With Quote