Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Grey Mage

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I am uncertain if this belongs here or in RW Features requests so move this is you need to.

Just after the RW Early Access release, LWD mentioned that there would be announcement regarding 'crunchy' datasets... Still patiently waiting on that, since I know you guys have to be slammed.

What I was wondering about is if you have finalized the 'template' for the data... ie., spell format, monster format, wondrous item form, etc.?

If so, could you provide that the earliest opportunity so that we can use it as we enter our own Mechanics data?
Grey Mage is offline   #1
Grey Mage

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Any word about datasets for RW...?
Grey Mage is offline   #2
Grey Mage

Old October 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Bumping this in the hopes there might be some news from someone in LWD with regards to either datasets for RW, or...

Someone in LWD might have an example (template) of what the format for the datasets will be?

That way can make homebrew entered material look as close to the 'official' stuff as possible.

Thanks
Grey Mage is offline   #3
Grey Mage

Old October 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Any word from LWD on datasets for RW would be much appreciated...

Even more appreciated would be a post with a template showing how the datasets will be formatted so that 3PP data can be entered using a similar format.

I realize that the fine folk at LWD are probably in crunch mode to get the gold release of RW out by the end of the month.... BUT, surely someone can take a moment to post something (unless of course the final layout for dataset information has not been determined).

BUMP!
Grey Mage is offline   #4
Silveras

Old October 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Grey Mage, I would posit that there are NO such "templates".

RealmWorks is designed to be system-agnostic, and to support multiple systems as a result. Mechanics from Traveller, for example, will be entirely different from those for 3.5 D&D or Pathfinder, and 4th Edition D&D will be different again from those. I do not expect there to be a single "template" or set of templates for that reason.

I am confident that Paizo will be one of the licensees, and will produce an "official" version of the Pathfinder rule. That will most likely define the standard presentation for Pathfinder content.. spells, monsters, characters, items, etc. It seems equally likely to me that, as official versions of adventures are prepared and sold, those will also become the standard for Pathfinder story content.

I am equally confident that Paizo will not be the only such company.

If a 3pp produces RealmWorks adventures for use with Pathfinder, however, they will likely follow Paizo's lead on the formatting of any new story or mechanics content.

As other systems become supported, any official data packages will likely become the model for others using the same system (as much as licenses, etc., allow).

TL;DR: Because there are many game systems with vastly different formats, there will likely not be "one" template for mechanics, or even for each type of mechanics.. rather, there will be several for each type.
Silveras is offline   #5
Grey Mage

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Silveras,

I concur 100% percent... Each game system will probably go with its own unique layout for any 'crunchy' data in the Mechanics section...

I should have clarified my original request to reflect my interest in what the PF layout would be.

However, that said, I suspect that LWD will be the one deciding (in conjunction with Paizo most likely) in how the Pathfinder game system data is presented in (their) Realm Works...

And I am hopeful that no matter the system, the data presented WITHIN Realm Works has some form of consistency.
Grey Mage is offline   #6
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:22 PM
As a pathfinder player myself, I understand your pain with not wanting to deviate from a future layout that may come along.

As a content creator, I have tinkered with templates myself, and I would have to say that simple is best.

Most of my spells have an overview, and a details or description section.

I have also added a local tag group called source, which lists the sourcebooks I am using in that realm.

Does this help at all?

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #7
Grey Mage

Old October 20th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Darkelf,

I went a different way... Doing a snippet for each, including source.

That way (hopefully) when player incremental reveal comes along, I can provide just enough information to entice wizard PCs to want to do spell research without giving away the cow as it were...

I would just like to avoid having to redo as much as I can... because of course, when datasets (for Pathfinder) do start becoming available, I will want everything to look pretty as it were.

Here is a screenshot to show what I mean:
Attached Images
File Type: png RW screenshot.png (338.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Grey Mage; October 20th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Grey Mage is offline   #8
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old October 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM
That is cool, but too much work for the level of information I have in my realm so far.

I would change the source to a tag so you can select all tags from a source if you need to in the future.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #9
AEIOU

Old October 21st, 2013, 06:50 AM
I've made a source tag for the same reasons you mention. But for finding specific information like spells or a create, a page number is really helpful. I'm starting to lean toward having both a source tag and a free-text source field for the best of both worlds.
AEIOU is offline   #10