Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

AEIOU

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Another alternate to map pins would be to allow us to place free-form text or text from a specific fieldname on the map. This would allow us to add descriptive names directly to maps -- like Varisian Sea or Shimmerbog -- as a name that you could select as a link. Make it black with white glow or green with white glow depending on player knowledge.

I wouldn't mind even just having numbers 01-99 that could be placed as pins -- for rooms, buildings, locations -- that are clickable to follow links back to the appropriate content.
AEIOU is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Another alternate to map pins would be to allow us to place free-form text or text from a specific fieldname on the map. This would allow us to add descriptive names directly to maps -- like Varisian Sea or Shimmerbog -- as a name that you could select as a link. Make it black with white glow or green with white glow depending on player knowledge.

I wouldn't mind even just having numbers 01-99 that could be placed as pins -- for rooms, buildings, locations -- that are clickable to follow links back to the appropriate content.
I like that idea!
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I'm curious about the numbers. In print, the numbers are used as "manual links" so that you can find the correct content. In Realm Works, you can create an actual link by associating the pin to a topic. You can already click on pins to navigate to their contents, and you can even promote your map into the navigation pane so that it stays open as you click from pin to pin. Numbers wouldn't be necessary in this case.

One thing not currently well supported is a single topic describing a whole dungeon. There's no way to link a pin to a particular snippet or section in that topic. However, I don't see numbers helping much here either.

I suppose my confusion is this: if we support clicks on pins navigating to content, what good are the numbers?
Joe is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM
All published content today uses numbers to identify locations -- rooms, buildings, encounters, etc. If I could place a round circle with a number in it that covers the number on the map that I import that ALSO acts as a link, I retain compatibility with the printed product and I can quickly navigate to the content (and more importantly the notes) I'm seeking.

If I have numbers that refer to the locations, I can use text and icons to identify things on the maps and they will stand out from the module descriptors.

I already use d20pro at the table for mapping and combat. Sometimes I'm forced to use HL if(when) the players go a different direction than I had planned for. I see myself using RW more to prep material for myself and to keep the players informed and engaged -- it's not a VTT.
AEIOU is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
One thing not currently well supported is a single topic describing a whole dungeon. There's no way to link a pin to a particular snippet or section in that topic. However, I don't see numbers helping much here either.
I've created a topic category of "Ruin/Adventure Site" for this purpose, a sub-category of Location with the Skull icon.

I have also created a topic category of "Chamber" for specific rooms/ caves/ chambers within a "Ruin/Adventure Site" location. For these, pre-defined snippets describe the ambient lighting, sounds, smells, and feel of the air (with tag domain like "cold/clammy", "musty", "dry", etc.). The air quality accepts multiple selections. As I am working with Pathfinder rules, the ambient lighting tags reflect the light levels in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I suppose my confusion is this: if we support clicks on pins navigating to content, what good are the numbers?
Some topics have (or had previously) a "Map ID" text snippet, and I have added it in my "Chamber" topic type for reference. Bi-directional linking between the map and this might be part of what AEIOU is looking for.

Personally, I find the pin sufficient for my needs.
Silveras is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 27th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I think what I am seeking is bi-directional "linking" between RW and printed materials -- using the same nomenclature for both so that I can transition back and forth seamlessly between electronic and paper since I don't plan to use RW at the gaming table.

In a year, will I even bother with printed materials any more? And if an Android compatible GM reader becomes available, then RW may very well join me and the printed materials become even more redundant.
AEIOU is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old August 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Maybe a clickable zone, for example a continent map where each of the nations on the map have a clickable area that highlights with the mouse over it.

I know I would use it.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 29th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Invisible map pins are being discussed here.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM
The ability to put "brief text over a pin" that shows in player views (so they know what the relieved pin is.
Mmurphy is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
gamemasterbob

Old December 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM
A simple drawing tool and text. Circles, squares and the like - filled or not - color choices - text size. Then place the text on the map and the text has a graphic tag if you make it a pin. If its a shape the shape can have a displayable name and be a link.

Also, a way to put MOVEABLE tokens/pins on a map to represent PC, monsters vehicles etc and link them to topics! I am NOT talking active tokens just something to represent the stuff that's in the encounter that's moving or hiding or whatever. If I am using Reveal with an interior map it would be nice to show this stuff and have it linked!

Last edited by gamemasterbob; December 4th, 2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling...
gamemasterbob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote