Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

craghammer

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:35 AM
I've been playing around with timeline and calendar too, and I agree on the general issue that the Gregorian Calendar is not very useful.

I'm trying out 2 approaches now (for Forgotten Realms)

1) Use the calendar as is, but use only Year. So if my calendar date is 1491 DR, i just set 1/1/1491 as the date
2) Historical Events - using the eventslist, I create one entry for each Year and add the major events there. It makes it (at least) possible to look at a year (maybe improve it to add months too) and see events related to that year
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (12.2 KB, 3 views)
craghammer is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
GuernseyMan

Old March 5th, 2016, 12:34 AM
I'm running three campaigns at the moment two of which need custom calendars so I have to use Excel as well.

To have my usual rant about calendars:

"Everything shown is from the current version of Realm Works, which is in the hands of our Beta team right now. Here's a summary of the most important features:"

"Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds. "

Which was two and a half years ago so I'm not holding my breath.
GuernseyMan is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 5th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I'm holding my breath until the CM, after which RW has indicated they will release another survey. At THAT time, I'm not holding my breath and will be quite vocal. That said, lot's of use were vocal about calendars during the last survey and the silent majority didn't agree with us.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
ArgoForg

Old March 6th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I'm holding my breath until the CM, after which RW has indicated they will release another survey. At THAT time, I'm not holding my breath and will be quite vocal. That said, lot's of use were vocal about calendars during the last survey and the silent majority didn't agree with us.
I'm hopeful this time around the responses are a bit more weighted toward the GM's, or better, have surveys with options for GM's and for Players. I was admittedly disappointed with the responses from the last survey and underwhelmed at something so seemingly ancillary as journals being the major step forward when calendars were adverted in the kickstarter and print/export seemed like such an obvious necessity. But when it comes out, I'll be doing much the same as you and voting (and possibly campaigning).

Darker Age Press - Writer and Developer
Realm Works Projects: World of Phantasie (Castles & Crusades)
RPG and Art Software Used: Realm Works, Hero Lab, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, Evernote, Scrivener, OneNote, Photoshop, Poser Pro, Cinema 4D, Vue 8 Complete.
ArgoForg is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 6th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoForg View Post
I'm hopeful this time around the responses are a bit more weighted toward the GM's . . . .
I thought about writing the same thing in my earlier response, but there was a lengthy discussion after the first survey about this and Rob explained the business reasons for taking the survey the way they did. Perhaps once the CM and Journals are released, the business strategy will change to give far more weight to GMs, including GMs who have not bought RW because it doesn't meet their needs (esp. printing).

I know that there are more players than GMs, but no player is going to buy RW if their GM's don't use it.

MNBlockHead is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 7th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Quote:
I know that there are more players than GMs, but no player is going to buy RW if their GM's don't use it.
This.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
This.
Couldn't have put it better..... but lets not confuse the issue with the "facts"... *wink* The last "survey logic" seemed to overlook that, and has produced nearly zero todate of those "surveyed items" discussed. We can only wait and hope for "soon" to arrive.... soon.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 7th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
...has produced nearly zero todate of those "surveyed items" discussed. We can only wait and hope for "soon" to arrive.... soon.
To be fair, some HUGE changes have happened on the back end that needed to happen before the Content Market and Web access could go forward. It is possible that if they developed other features before the very nature of content formatting was updated could have created big development headaches. I'm not a developer, so I don't know.

I am confident, however, in stating that focusing on anything other than the content market at this time would be poor business. It is hard to wait for progress on other features while they work on the CM. The CM presents some major development challenges and is taking longer than anyone would like. But they have to get it right. If they release a CM that everyone pans, they might not easily get a second chance with content creators.

MNBlockHead is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM
This thread is for time, timelines and past event management without calendars implemented. It seeks solutions to a known shortcoming. Please create a new thread if you wish to discuss other matters. Thank you for keeping on topic.
AEIOU is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 7th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Quote:
To be fair, some HUGE changes have happened on the back end that needed to happen before the Content Market and Web access could go forward. ..............I am confident, however, in stating that focusing on anything other than the content market at this time would be poor business. It is hard to wait for progress on other features while they work on the CM. The CM presents some major development challenges and is taking longer than anyone would like. But they have to get it right. If they release a CM that everyone pans, they might not easily get a second chance with content creators.
Quite true and Point Taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
This thread is for time, timelines and past event management without calendars implemented. It seeks solutions to a known shortcoming. Please create a new thread if you wish to discuss other matters. Thank you for keeping on topic.
True AEIOU, Apologies.... Like others I have reconciled to utilizing excel to manage that since I had utilized it long before the advent of RW....
With my campaign, I have 6 calendars running in unison (Several Racial types, one "common" calendar, and a lunar) . With some creative formulas I have it convert from one to the other. Happy to share this methodology thru PM if any are interested...

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #50 Reply With Quote