Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old October 12th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Help support my PatreGoGoStarter campaign, "Buy Mike Enough Computer Equipment So All Of The Places He Runs Games Can Approximate The Convenience And Instant Access Of A Piece Of Paper."
I find search functions in computers quicker than rifling through a mass of papers (or books).
Farling is offline   #241 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I find search functions in computers quicker than rifling through a mass of papers (or books).
It depends on the contents of the piece of paper, how much it's mixed in with other things, whether the computer currently has access to whatever piece of data, and a whole host of other things that have been posted about before.

Everything is situational, and sometimes you have better control over the situation than others.

Parody is offline   #242 Reply With Quote
ArgoForg

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Help save the planet, use RW on a laptop at the gaming table instead of printing out lots of paper that are only useful for the one gaming session.
I'm actually planning to export some of my world stuff and adventures to PDF for potential sale, and for that, I need Export capability, or I need to be happy with copying and pasting each snippet separately (hundreds of categories' worth) into a word processor or PDF creator. Neither of which is particularly probable at the moment.

On top of that, I can't speak for everyone, but I actually don't use RW as an at-the-table data manager. I use it for prep-work and for databasing my gaming world. And actually, I honestly prefer to have paper notes to a computer at the gaming table, because I think it's fair that what applies to my players applies to me... I don't want them thumbing through their tablets or phones anymore than they want me sitting there researching on a computer when there's a game to be played.

Darker Age Press - Writer and Developer
Realm Works Projects: World of Phantasie (Castles & Crusades)
RPG and Art Software Used: Realm Works, Hero Lab, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, Evernote, Scrivener, OneNote, Photoshop, Poser Pro, Cinema 4D, Vue 8 Complete.

Last edited by ArgoForg; October 12th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.
ArgoForg is offline   #243 Reply With Quote
trechriron

Send a message via Yahoo to trechriron

Old October 13th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I'll use it anyways and see how useful it is without the calendar. But the missing calendar does piss me off. I think that should be higher priority than printing for sure (I supported this to eliminate paper, collaborate, and make my GM prep easier). Oh well.
trechriron is offline   #244 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 13th, 2015, 04:58 PM
This is your lucky day! Calendars ARE a higher priority than printing as noted in the survey several eons ago. Your wish is their command.
AEIOU is offline   #245 Reply With Quote
trechriron

Send a message via Yahoo to trechriron

Old October 13th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
This is your lucky day! Calendars ARE a higher priority than printing as noted in the survey several eons ago. Your wish is their command.
Wooooooooooooot!! I'll turn my frown upside down.
trechriron is offline   #246 Reply With Quote
ColinBuckler

Old October 21st, 2015, 10:08 AM
Thats good news about the calendar... hopefully sooner rather than later.

On another point, it would be really usefull if this functionality was added:

(1) Have a "Current Date" set for the realm.

(2) Data entry fields to have some basic maths functionality assigned to them. Such as -1d, -1w, -1m, -1y (or + versions) to allow date entry.

Using the above, you could quickly add a birthday for some one who is 32 as -32y. Pressing enter would simply convert the formula to the date no need to store the formula just the calculated date).
ColinBuckler is offline   #247 Reply With Quote
Natai

Old October 30th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoForg View Post
On top of that, I can't speak for everyone, but I actually don't use RW as an at-the-table data manager. I use it for prep-work and for databasing my gaming world. And actually, I honestly prefer to have paper notes to a computer at the gaming table, because I think it's fair that what applies to my players applies to me... I don't want them thumbing through their tablets or phones anymore than they want me sitting there researching on a computer when there's a game to be played.
Same here.
A little irritating that I have to pay for an ongoing "service" so that others can access my data, even though I have no plans to all that anytime soon.

I'm actually really disappointed with how long it's taking to get the calendar feature. It was reportedly "close" months ago, and it's still not out. Plenty of other features though. I've suspended all my work in RW until its out, but it's taking forever.

RW is great for worldbuilding - and certainly the best software I've found for this - but the fact that I'm constantly having to wait for other features before they get to the ones I need is really frustrating...
Natai is offline   #248 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old October 30th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Ok new guys, just some background information. The Pro-Calendar people are quite vocal but when push came to shove and LWD put it up to a vote, it didn't make the top three.

LWD has been more than clear on how things are prioritized and props to them. They can't just say 'Well, the Calendar guys SHOULD have won so they go to the top'

Right now LWD is working on the things that will make the product sustainable (i.e. bring in the $$ that will make it pay for itself) and that's the market and sharing functionality. After that, the big thing was Journals. Calendars were either 1 or 2 behind the journals.

Sorry that it isn't what you want to hear but that's the way it is. LWD has been seriously aboveboard and transparent, far moreso than most really, and they've gotten a lot of respect from many of us for that. The same goes with how they approach problem-solving. They don't slap a bandaid on it and hope it holds; they really dig to the root of the issue and fix it right. Often this takes much longer but long-term, a better product will be realized.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Assistant Calendar Champion (retired)

GM: D&D 3.5 homegrown Local/Small Scale campaign
GMing blog: http://www.undiscoveredworlds.com
weogarth is offline   #249 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 30th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natai View Post
I've suspended all my work in RW until its out, but it's taking forever.
I have been one of the most vocal calendar champions and was very disappointed with the survey results. But I don't understand why you need to suspend all work in RW until the calendar feature is out. There is so much value RW brings to the game-master's table with out calendars. At this point, it is hard to imaging managing a campaign world without RW.

I can see holding off on entering some event topics and even holding of on entering dates (esp. historical dates) until calendar functionality is released, but not using it at all? You are missing out.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #250 Reply With Quote