Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ArgoForg

Old August 15th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I guess, just so I can make it clear, I am definitely a +1 on the side of print/export (as was stated, export to PDF or HTML would be fine, and there are definitely tools out there to allow you to edit PDF content for appearance's sake).

Along with the fact that, like others, I use RW as more of a world almanac, I'm just one of those that really would prefer NOT to have my players mucking around with phones/tablets/laptops at the gaming table as little as possible... it's sometimes problematic enough to keep them on point enough as it is without the added distractions those would offer.

Darker Age Press - Writer and Developer
Realm Works Projects: World of Phantasie (Castles & Crusades)
RPG and Art Software Used: Realm Works, Hero Lab, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, Evernote, Scrivener, OneNote, Photoshop, Poser Pro, Cinema 4D, Vue 8 Complete.

Last edited by ArgoForg; August 15th, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
ArgoForg is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
Perram

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I keep waiting for this to be added, because it was a feature that was promised in the Kickstarter, and the only reason I pledged. Realm works has no place in my GM workflow until I can export the content.
Perram is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old November 15th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perram View Post
I keep waiting for this to be added, because it was a feature that was promised in the Kickstarter, and the only reason I pledged. Realm works has no place in my GM workflow until I can export the content.
I never support kickstarters anymore. They promise a lot but don't deliver. I guess this is another one of those. Glad I didn't support this one.
Dwayne is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old November 15th, 2015, 08:29 PM
+1 here too. If I'm going to spend time putting the data IN, I do need to also be able to get the data OUT. PDF would be a good starting point, but personally, I'd prefer something like HTML, XML, JSON, etc. Something I can make use of for ANY use I can dream up. I'm not picky about the specifics of it.

I want this kind of export functionality for multiple reasons. First off, I do like Realm Works, but I want the freedom to leave the platform. The funny thing though, the more freedom I have, the more likely I am to stay. The kind of freedom that might let me leave also lets me play with the data and make tools that I'd stay to use.

Second, I want to store ALL the data in the program. Custom classes, custom class specializations, item data, everything. If I'm to do that, I need to be able to easily send that data to players in whatever form works best. I can't expect a new player to use custom software for something simple like reading a bit of text (even if the software were free). I need to be able to send the player an email, print them a hardcopy, whatever works best.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 15th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I've supported a number of Kickstarter campaigns. I treat it like any investment—there are risks involved. While you do have legal recourse if you do not receive your reward for the pledge, I've never pledged enough on any Kickstarter that I would ever consider bothering with suing a creator who failed to deliver.

For me, I use Kickstarter to support companies that are trying to make cool things that I would like to see available, knowing full well that deadlines may slip and circumstances may change, or unforeseen issues arise, that require the some changes to the product.

I didn't support RealmWorks' kickstarter, I wasn't gaming during that time, so products like this were outside my RADAR. But it seems that the ability to print and export as well as all the content-based stretch goals are dependent upon the content market being released. Apparently, LWD underestimated how long this would take. But they've been upfront with the challenges and have steadily made progress on the development of the product. I have every reason to believe that they will get there.

As someone who didn't support the Kickstarter, I'm grateful for all who did, because it allowed this awesome product to be released into the world. Do I wish it had custom calendars right now? YES! Do I wish I could export and print my content? YES! Do I wish that the Content Market was live and loaded with lots of awesome material for me to incorporate into my campaign? YES!

Without custom calendars, printing, exporting, and the Content Market, is RW useless? NO!

For those of you who keep whinging about promised features delayed, what have you found that is better? I've found nothing better to manage my campaign and build my world. I'm sorry that you among the exalted original backers have not received all that was promised yet. Perhaps the delay has been lengthy enough that you feel you should get your $35 to $500 pledge back. But as someone who has backed other Kickstarter campaigns, and as RW user, I would find this hard to fathom. Give up RW and all it has to offer to get back a pledge I made a couple years ago...really?

What I find tiresome about original-backer posts is that some of them make it seem as if LWD has been anything other than forthright with their backers. I just don't see any evidence of this. It is not like they released a half-baked product, said "thanks for your pledge," and disappeared. Nobody wants to make progress on the development roadmap faster than they do, but challenges have proved more difficult than anticipated, and they are not a huge company that can throw more money at the problems they run into. They are also not the type of company willing to compromise on quality. So...it has taken longer than anyone would like to get all the features we would like to see.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the original backers asked for their money back. Of those, it would be interesting to know how many pledged more than the $35 that would get them the software. In my experience, those who pledge more treat their pledge as a way to be small-sum angel investor in a company, whereas those who pledge the minimum to get the product treat it as discount purchase. The later tend to be more likely to complain about delays and scope changes than the former.

For those who are thinking of buying the product, if you absolutely HAVE to be able to print your content, then maybe don't buy it yet. But don't make the mistake of thinking that the developers have been underhanded in anyway. The product is well supported, it is the best campaign-management tool available, it is regularly updated and getting even better, and the developers and user community are wonderful.

Besides, custom calendars first. :-P

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 15th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
+1 here too. If I'm going to spend time putting the data IN, I do need to also be able to get the data OUT.
Yes, lock-in sucks. But that is not LWD's intention. The developers have made it clear that they are facing very challenging technical and legal issues to ensure export of content while protecting content-creator IP. In order to get this functionality properly coded they needed the CM up and running. Rob and Liz have explained the challenges in detail. I expect printing will come before export.

Quote:
Second, I want to store ALL the data in the program. Custom classes, custom class specializations, item data, everything. If I'm to do that, I need to be able to easily send that data to players in whatever form works best. I can't expect a new player to use custom software for something simple like reading a bit of text (even if the software were free). I need to be able to send the player an email, print them a hardcopy, whatever works best.
An intermediary solution might be the free player-view Web access. But it is not clear at this point how content limitation on the free view will work. Still, I expect that you could open a topic or article in the Web application using your GM account and print the page from your browser

MNBlockHead is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM
I think the biggest issue I'm having with lack of export is player handouts.

I like to be able to produce actual notes for the players to have access to and player view just doesn't cut it for that. In the short term I can live without but it is annoying and for 3rd party publishers I could see it being a major issue.
kbs666 is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old November 16th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I think the biggest issue I'm having with lack of export is player handouts.
I deal with handouts by creating them outside RW, printing them out as necessary and copying them into RW so those (currently few) of my players who make use of the player edition.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 16th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
I deal with handouts by creating them outside RW, printing them out as necessary and copying them into RW so those (currently few) of my players who make use of the player edition.
I attach the handouts as PDFs. Even if I could print or export, I think I still would as I don't expect RW will every have the formatting capabilities of a desktop publishing or graphics software.

MNBlockHead is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 16th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I attach the handouts as PDFs. Even if I could print or export, I think I still would as I don't expect RW will every have the formatting capabilities of a desktop publishing or graphics software.
I fully expect to have to make them in something else but I want to manage them in RW. I want to manage everything related to my campaign in RW.
kbs666 is offline   #90 Reply With Quote