Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:18 AM
As a rather new to HL user and a DM working on a new campaign, RW looks like a very interesting tool. How ever in all my reading I see the one featir emisssing that would take HL/RW to the true level we want in an electronic frontier of PnP gaming.

Collaborative Function.

What I mean by this is, your a DM with HL and RW, all players run HL, you should be able to start a CF for all to connect to via a network connection. Within that you create and have tracking windows for the characters, initiatives, stats everything. No exporting, no importing, just dynamic interaction.

Imagine a combat initiative window tied to the HL dice roller which is tied to this, characters simply hit a button and init is generated and submitted via this, and a dynamic combat window is created on all CF screens, the DM does the same of the NPCs, and there you go. From this window, you can see initiatives, changing stats on characters from buffs, debuffs etc. DM can show the mobs as just "Mobs", or release info based on skills (ie knowledge checks on what the creature is, special abilties etc.)

No need for VTT, or have this connect to supported VTT system.

Everyone now sits around the gaming table with a laptop, every single one is net capable, you can create a PtP wireless network from DMs laptop, no need for routers and crap. This would seem to me, to be the next logical evolution.

This can also be used to share campaign content, have it available through this connection when ever that player is connected. Or that they can save maps/notes or what ever they have been shared saved locally for access any time, but attached to that character.

There have been and still are a lot of campaign tracking/running software, and character tools (though none as good as HL). Lone Wolf has the distinct advantage of not only having both (or soon), but the actual game system material from the publishers. The possibilities are endless.

I know its a tall order, but it would revolutionize the way we game, not to mention put LW light years a head of any competition I am aware of.

RealmWorks to me, matched with Hero Lab, like peas and carrots.

I am coming at this from this angle, because no amount of over the net features will ever change one thing for our gaming group, we meet every week at a location. The social and simple human element cannot be replaced with technology, but this same tech can create a connected, Collaborative campaign enviroment, which we play.

I know you have not even released RW, but now is the time for the idea to be laid as a seed, those seeds can often grow into mighty Oaks...or Treants as the case may be.
Exmortis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Collaborative Function.

What I mean by this is, your a DM with HL and RW, all players run HL, you should be able to start a CF for all to connect to via a network connection. Within that you create and have tracking windows for the characters, initiatives, stats everything. No exporting, no importing, just dynamic interaction.

I am coming at this from this angle, because no amount of over the net features will ever change one thing for our gaming group, we meet every week at a location. The social and simple human element cannot be replaced with technology, but this same tech can create a connected, Collaborative campaign enviroment, which we play.

I know you have not even released RW, but now is the time for the idea to be laid as a seed, those seeds can often grow into mighty Oaks...or Treants as the case may be.
AGREED...
I have asked about exactly this on HL... don't get me wrong, its a great tool ( I wouldnt own 8copies if it were not) but it would be, as stated above, lightyears ahead if this feature were implemented and the tool to which others are measured.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Resurrection
Status? is this being concidered??
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 1st, 2013, 03:26 AM
Considered? Absolutely. Slated for implementation in the first release of Realm Works? No.

What you're asking for here goes beyond what we'll be including in Realm Works when it first launches. This is functionality we'll need to grow towards. Realm Works is game system neutral, so it's not designed for tracking characters, stats, initiatives, etc. That's the domain of Hero Lab, which is specifically tailored for each game system it supports. As we evolve Realm Works, we'll be able to provide progressively more integration with Hero Lab. So your proposal is definitely something we'll be working towards, but it won't be available at initial launch, nor likely later this year. It's something we'd work towards in the future.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
The problem with this feature is that its very gaming group specific. It seems to make sense to only local gaming groups where everyone has laptops at the table. It doesnt make sense for virtual gaming groups. Unless this was server/client based, it cuts out a lot of gaming groups. This is what I like a lot about Realms Works once the cloud is implemented, it coveres pretty much all gaming group configurations.

And of course client/server has its own levels of complexities.

Dont get me wrong, if this were implemented and it covered other gaming group setups, I would be one of the first to purchase multiple licenses.

Last edited by mirtos; May 2nd, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
mirtos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote