Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bertg

Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
My GM bought HL at GenCon, and is in the process of creating customized data files for his game, including new player races and classes. I want to buy a copy of HL myself, but I read somewhere that his data files will only work with his copy of the software. If this is true, would the people in his game be better off buying secondary licenses off his copy so they can use his files? None of the rest of us GM, so we don't have any need to create our own files. We'd just write journal entries and level up our characters when needed.

By the way, the guys at the booth were extremely helpful and did a great job answering our questions. Who was the one with the Scottish accent?
bertg is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
At 08:08 PM 8/23/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
My GM bought HL at GenCon, and is in the process of creating customized data files for his game, including new player races and classes. I want to buy a copy of HL myself, but I read somewhere that his data files will only work with his copy of the software. If this is true, would the people in his game be better off buying secondary licenses off his copy so they can use his files? None of the rest of us GM, so we don't have any need to create our own files. We'd just write journal entries and level up our characters when needed.

By the way, the guys at the booth were extremely helpful and did a great job answering our questions. Who was the one with the Scottish accent?
Whatever you read was either unclear or inaccurate. If you could point me to the source of that info, I'll make sure it gets addressed.

The data files your GM (or any other user) creates will simply be text files. As such, they can be used with ANY copy of HL. Once your GM creates the files, he can then give them to you and the rest of your group. All you need to do is drop them into the directory where the d20 data files are located (by default: c:herolabdatad20). After they are copied into place, just reload the d20 game system and they will be automatically recognized and integrated into the system.

The idea behind the secondary license is so that users can run HL on multiple computers. Each license number can only be assigned to a single computer. So we give all users a FREE secondary license, enabling them to run HL on two computers (e.g. their desktop and their laptop). I believe each of the players in your group would be best served by simply purchasing your own copy of HL, just as you were planning until you came across the inaccurate information.

I'm glad that we were able to get you answers to all your questions at the show. If you've got additional ones, don't hesitate to post them here and we'll do our best to get you answers.

The Scotsman in our booth is none other than Colen - our resident d20 expert and UI designer. :-)
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bertg

Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ah, I see my mistake. Under the Licensing Details page it says:

Quote:
The data files you purchase will be tied to your license number. If you attempt to utilize the data files purchased in conjunction with one license on a computer running Hero Lab under a different license, the data files will fail to load. Consequently, if one person purchases access to a given set of data files, those data files will not work for someone else, even if that person has purchased a valid copy of Hero Lab.
I misread it and mistook custom made data file with the purchased ones. My bad. Thanks for thr quick response.
bertg is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 27th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Rob Bowes wrote:

> The Scotsman in our booth is none other than Colen - our resident d20
> expert and UI designer.

As well as game conventions, I also do personal appearances at other
events - for a small fee, of course. Contact my agent!

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote