Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Jamz

Old January 30th, 2018, 11:04 AM
FYI: I won't be buying HLO unless the server usage can be purchased month by month and/or paused.

I don't know about anyone else but our group switches games so it would be silly to buy HLO for Starfinder when we are still playing Pathfinder and not sure when we will start Starfinder. And when we do play Starfinder, we may only play for 2-3 months at a time.

This is in no way a b!tching about the pricing model. I'm simply conveying, from a customer perspective, why I'm not purchasing it.

If/when they add Pathfinder or give us more options than 6 month of sub options, I will need to hold off... I'd love to buy the package now, play with it a little bit and then let it sit but then I'm waisting 6 months of server time. :-/

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
morpheusdreams

Old January 31st, 2018, 06:12 AM
well you can certainly tell why they won't offer free trials of this
morpheusdreams is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 31st, 2018, 06:47 AM
We've been discussing the possibility of a month to month purchase. I can't promise anything, but it may be something we provide in the future.

Morpheus we do offer free trials. You can make use of our demo account indefinitely at no cost, just like Hero Lab Classic. http://www.wolflair.com/hlo/
BJ is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 31st, 2018, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
We've been discussing the possibility of a month to month purchase. I can't promise anything, but it may be something we provide in the future.
A few of my players have mentioned the preference of a month to month charge instead. Usually when you buy many months you get a discount. Just mentioning what allot of software/companies do and I think why some where surprised with only a 6 month or 12 month subscription.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 31st, 2018, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
A few of my players have mentioned the preference of a month to month charge instead. Usually when you buy many months you get a discount. Just mentioning what allot of software/companies do and I think why some where surprised with only a 6 month or 12 month subscription.
I do not disagree. It's a bit complicated on our end so it isn't something we can just decide to do and turn on. We are exploring options though and have been for a while. Only so many dreams can be realized in any given day!
BJ is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
Quote:
I do not disagree. It's a bit complicated on our end so it isn't something we can just decide to do and turn on. We are exploring options though and have been for a while. Only so many dreams can be realized in any given day!
Yep totally understand. Just wanted to pass along some feedback from people not on the forums.

I am personally fine with either 6 months or month by month.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old February 1st, 2018, 09:31 AM
Quote:

Morpheus we do offer free trials. You can make use of our demo account indefinitely at no cost, just like Hero Lab Classic. http://www.wolflair.com/hlo/
That would be nice. Allowing us to "suspend" the account would be acceptable as well. I would buy 12 months if I could pause it for 3-6 months, continue, repeat.

(And I wouldn't expect a day by day suspend, more like, suspend account at the end of the month, so, month to month)

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release

Last edited by Jamz; February 4th, 2018 at 07:27 AM.
Jamz is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 1st, 2018, 03:26 PM
That's not a bad idea! I'll file it away.
BJ is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Jodokai

Old February 1st, 2018, 07:13 PM
I love Hero Lab Classic. I have almost every package for Pathfinder and all the licenses since my wife and I each have our own Desktops, iPads and we share a Laptop. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Hero Lab. I want to make that clear so during the rest of my post you're not thinking "Ah he's just being cheap"

My issue is that you're making me buy a car, but I can only rent the keys. If there ever comes a day where renting the keys is no longer worth the cost, I've lost everything I put into the car. That money is just gone.

I pay $20 for the program, and then pay for all the packages, but if my sub ever lapses, I can no longer access the things I've purchased. That doesn't seem right.

Now right now the sub fee is $2 a month, no big deal, can you promise that that price won't go up? Of course not, and of course that price will eventually go up, how often and how much? You can't answer that. As I've said I've spent hundreds of dollars on Hero Lab Classic, and when I think about how upset I would be if I had to rent the ability to use the things I spent hundreds of dollars on, and the rent went higher than the worth to me, and all that money simply went down the drain. That's ridiculous.

I purchased Hero Lab Online, to try it out and give it its fair shake. I also wanted to see what would happen with the Alien Archive, I thought maybe the packages would be cheaper, but when I saw the alien archive was $12.99 the cost of a Bestiary, for something that has less than half the content of a bestiary I wanted to scream.

I hope Starfinder comes to Classic Hero Lab, until then, I'm glad you have a money back guarantee.
Jodokai is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Ian

Old February 1st, 2018, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodokai View Post
I pay $20 for the program, and then pay for all the packages, but if my sub ever lapses, I can no longer access the things I've purchased. That doesn't seem right.
If your subscription ends, you won't be able to change your characters, but you'll still be able to access them for viewing, printing, etc (as well as any export functionality once we get to adding that).
Ian is offline   #20 Reply With Quote