Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Voldaron

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:51 AM
I'm just starting to use Hero Lab and so far it seems great. I tried to add new Monsters with the Editor (creating them as new race) but they don't Show up in the Encounter builder. Can anyone help and give some advice how to add new Monsters for 5e to use them in the Encounter builder?
Voldaron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Irondrake

Old June 4th, 2016, 09:41 PM
Save the monster portfolio in the 5E data folder for Hero Lab. This should be located under the ProgramData folder. Once it is there, those monsters will become available in the Encounter Builder.
Irondrake is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old June 5th, 2016, 07:32 AM
To expand on what Irondrake said:

1. After you create your monsters in the editor, load them all up in a single portfolio. Save that portfolio with a .stock extention, not a .por extension, in your Hero Lab game system data folder.

2. To quickly see where your game system data folder is in Hero Lab, from the Tools menu, go to Explore Folders, then select Game System Data Folder. It will pop up a Windows Explorer folder (Windows) or Finder folder (OS X) showing you where your game system data files are stored.

Once you've done that, your new monsters should start showing up for you in the Encounter Builder.
CNYGamer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 5th, 2016, 07:53 AM
The .POR extension works. You can just upload individual files to the ProgramData folder.

However CNYGamer's recommendation is much more manageable if you have several creatures being added. That folder is already pretty cluttered with miscellaneous files.... Thank you for the extra info!

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old June 5th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
The .POR extension works. You can just upload individual files to the ProgramData folder.

However CNYGamer's recommendation is much more manageable if you have several creatures being added. That folder is already pretty cluttered with miscellaneous files.... Thank you for the extra info!
Thanks much for the clarification on that, AEIOU. I wasn't aware that the .por extension was usable in that way. It's like I always say, hang around knowledgeable people long enough and you start learning stuff.
CNYGamer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 5th, 2016, 08:22 AM
I didn't know it would work either. Thank you to Irondrake for the recommendation.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Voldaron

Old June 18th, 2016, 01:24 AM
Thanks a lot - I got it now.
Voldaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Irondrake

Old June 19th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Great I tend to use one portfolio for all of my creatures, saved in that folder so it can be used in the encounter builder.
Irondrake is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old June 19th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Another day, another new thing learned.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Jhalad

Old September 14th, 2019, 12:33 AM
This method does not appear to work, at least not for Pathfinder. While the system recognized a new file and recompiled the Encounter Library, the monster did not show up as selectable. Thoughts?
Jhalad is offline   #10 Reply With Quote