Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old January 7th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I have read the newsletter but it is so generic and mostly about the content market.

If at all possible could you at Realm Works give us an answer based on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 barely starting to a 10 meaning completed and awaiting the next update). This would be more of a guess than an actual and exact idea of where a feature stands.

If need be I could actually work out what each number in the scale means, just ask.

Here are some things I am interested in seeing how far they have progressed:

1. Player Journal entries in the player edition. If it is already implemented then how can the GM see what the player inputs?
2. Content Market.
3. Calendar feature. I know this is an old and somewhat over asked for feature but from what I understand is that it is mostly finished but just not polished yet.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 7th, 2016, 10:55 AM
The Content Market is the #1 concern right now, as you can tell from them talking about it in the newsletters. Everything else is secondary.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old January 7th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I know this. I am hoping to get some kind of progress on how far they have come with the secondary features.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Madmaxneo is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 7th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
I know this. I am hoping to get some kind of progress on how far they have come with the secondary features.
I sincerely doubt that such information will be forthcoming.. mostly because any hint of progress on some things will have people saying "well, it's almost done, so why not finish it and release it?" about their preferred/favorite thing.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 7th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Calendars are between 3 and 9.
Printing is between 4 and 9.
Export is between 2 and 9.

That should cover all of the major items. Anything more exact than that is extremely unlikely as predictions have bit them in their backside in the past and the drama, explanations, feather smoothing and grumbling simply do not help keep things moving forward.

You have to put your faith in the LWD team, drink some warm milk, perhaps do a little yoga and meditation, and act surprised when something nice gets released. It happens more-or-less quarterly.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old January 7th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Calendars are between 3 and 9.
Printing is between 4 and 9.
Export is between 2 and 9.

That should cover all of the major items. Anything more exact than that is extremely unlikely as predictions have bit them in their backside in the past and the drama, explanations, feather smoothing and grumbling simply do not help keep things moving forward.

You have to put your faith in the LWD team, drink some warm milk, perhaps do a little yoga and meditation, and act surprised when something nice gets released. It happens more-or-less quarterly.
Talk about broad speculation...lol. I have been pretty patient so far as I have been hearing about the calendar function amongst other things for almost 2 years now. I even saw a demo of the calendar at Gencon 2014. Regardless what has been released in the last year that I should be surprised about? I have not seen any new features at all, except for the Player edition. Most of all the last few updates have been bug fixes and what not.
Looking back to so many months ago there was a major update released, but to be honest I did not notice anything different in my Realm Works.

Madmaxneo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM
The way LoneWolf has been putting it, the Content Market and Web Access are the only two "major" things being worked on. As the developers have time (when they need to pause their work while waiting for a colleague to finish a related part, mostly), they try to knock off small items.. bugs, and minor tweaks.

So as far as I can tell, any major item other than the Content Market and Web Access has no progress to report... because they're not being tackled yet.

The HTML conversion is a major update that revealed a lot of bugs... and so the last 3-4 updates have been bug fixes to clean those up.

Unless I am mis-reading what has been said, there won't be any progress reports on other major elements until after the Content Market and Web Access are released. At that point, I have no idea how many "major" items will be tackled in parallel, if any.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 7th, 2016, 06:29 PM
At this point, I only pay attention to content market updates, because everything else is going to be backburnered until the CM is released. But there have been some very nice surprises in the recent releases. Manage Names is a significant improvement over Aliases, larger image thumbnails in topics and articles, ability to change default formatting, auto-tagging, and more. But these have all been incremental improvements and not major feature additions.

None of the clamored for features you see often discussed in these forums are likely to be added until the CM is released. Even then, I'm guessing that the CM will be released in phases. Probably first the ability to purchase content and then the later the ability to publish and copy/share your own. But that is just a guess on my part.

After the CM and Web Edition are released, the next priority is Journals. I forgot what was after that, but it wasn't calendars, which is my pet desire for a new feature.

Like you, I saw the calendar feature demonstrated, which was a deciding factor in my buying RW, despite it not yet having been a released feature. That's on me, not RW. Initially, I was impatient with the release schedule, until I accepted that the mature thing to do was to make software decisions based on the feature set that exists when you buy the product and not the development roadmap.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
nodice

Old January 10th, 2016, 01:18 AM
Was there not some talk of the being able to reveal specific information to specific players being workd on atm? I personally am waiting for this to be released before I run my next campaign. I don't say that to try to apply pressure or anything, and I understand that I might be waiting a while, but its just one of those things that completely changes the way the entire toolset can be applied. I would love to know roughly how far along they are with that one so I can know when I will be able to run that game
nodice is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 10th, 2016, 04:11 AM
LWD does not give estimates as to when a feature will be ready.

They did so in the past and got into a hail storm of whining, complaints, threats and what-not when the dates mentioned was passed and the feature was not made available.

It simply took too much time to handle the complaints not to mention it killed the joy for the team, so now they only mention the next big thing they are working on.

If I were you I would run the game anyway - it is still a great GM tool without that one feature.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; January 10th, 2016 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Tone modified
Vargr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote