Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Merion

Old September 5th, 2016, 01:43 AM
Due to my job I use different computers a lot of the time and do not always have administrator rights. So installing RW is not always an option. Nevertheless I like working on my campaign when I sit bored in a hotel room.

So is it possible to install RW on a stick or otherwise create a portable version?
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 5th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Yes and no. You can install Realm Works wherever you want or try copying the install folder to a USB drive to run on another machine. However, Realm Works' files (master.realm, preferences, indices, and backups) are always written to your user profile folder so you'll need to sync down/back each time or restore and backup your database manually.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap Windows laptop or convertible and not worry about forgetting to sync/backup or violating your job's IT policies. (You do have to remember to bring it with, though. :)

Last edited by Parody; September 5th, 2016 at 03:44 AM.
Parody is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old September 5th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Well, I wouldn't mind writing a little batch file, that copies all the additional RW files (like master.realm, preferences, indices, and backups) from the stick to their respective locations before launching the program.

I probably will try that. But wasn't there something about RW binding itself to a windows user account or something like that?

I thought about buying a cheap notebook, but I usually already max out my hand luggage. And don't worry about IT policies, I'm normally allowed to use the machines for recreational purposes - so far watching netflicks or playing browser games.
Merion is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 5th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind writing a little batch file, that copies all the additional RW files (like master.realm, preferences, indices, and backups) from the stick to their respective locations before launching the program.
You don't want to copy the additional files around; backup and restore or syncing handles that for the things that aren't rebuilt automatically. It's just discipline in doing it and knowing that those files can't go anywhere else. That's important if your Roaming profile actually roams or is stored in a space-sensitive location. (See also the next response.)

You might want to delete those files when you're done with the machine, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I probably will try that. But wasn't there something about RW binding itself to a windows user account or something like that?
As long as the account's profile has a master.realm file, you can't change the RW user. Part of that master.realm file is a per-computer-and-account (or perhaps just per-master.realm) ID. This helps the RW servers tell various bits of data apart, but also means that you should use RW's built-in methods to move that data around. (Notably, if you have to restore from a backup.)

I'm sure the LWD folks will correct me if I've got something wrong.

Last edited by Parody; September 5th, 2016 at 08:42 AM.
Parody is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:42 AM
You can copy the master.realm file around without any problem. It does not contain machine-sensitive information.

However, it must exist in a specific directory in order for RW to find it:
%AppData%\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works

The %appdata% could, in theory, be different on each machine, dependent on what has been set up as the account policy by the windows administrator. In a default configuration, it is set to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\" (where "<username>" is the account name you use on the PC).
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
morkalg

Old September 10th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Any further developments on this? I could really use a portable version of Realmworks if something like that was available. I'm not averse to the work around here, but I just wondered if there is a better way.
morkalg is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM
No. This doesn't seem likely to change

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 10th, 2017, 05:32 PM
We know that they are working on an online version of RW. My understanding from what I remember of earlier discussions, however, is that initially, it will only be for viewing shared content. Basically, it would be a way to share content with players who don't want to buy the Players version of the software or who want to access content on a non-windows device.

If I remember correctly, they plan to eventually allow for the GMs to edit content from the online version. I don't know if work on HLO helps with the development of RW Online, but I'm sure that this is eventually where they want to get to. I'm fairly certain that an online version will be given priority dev attention over any installed portable version. Doubt they would invest time into every developing a portable version.

In the meantime, you could get a VM on Microsoft Azure, install RW on that and access via Remote Desktop Connection. You don't need a particularly powerful machine and you can just stop the VM when not using it, so costs should be minimal. Much less expensive and more convenient than lugging a second laptop around. Only downside is that you DO need an internet connection. RDP is not bandwidth heavy, though, so you don't need a great connection but you do need the internet.

Another option is to use Oracle's Portable VirtualBox to run a VM from your USB drive.

Still, my preference would be to have an Azure Pay-as-You-Go account and run an F1S server. Keep the VM stopped at all time, except when you want to need to use RW on your work PC.

One more option that may make sense, if you have a desktop at home that you keep always on and have good internet at home, is to use one of many remote-connection options to work on your home PC from another computer.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old September 17th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
In the meantime, you could get a VM on Microsoft Azure, install RW on that and access via Remote Desktop Connection. You don't need a particularly powerful machine and you can just stop the VM when not using it, so costs should be minimal. Much less expensive and more convenient than lugging a second laptop around. Only downside is that you DO need an internet connection. RDP is not bandwidth heavy, though, so you don't need a great connection but you do need the internet.
This is an awesome idea! My current assignment does not allow admin rights on the PC and I was wondering how I can use RW during my spare time in preparation for the games.

Now I can put those Azure credits to good use!

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote