Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

the_redbeard

Old August 26th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I have Realm Works on my desktop and my laptop. So every time I upgrade, I upgrade one install at a time. So when I next logon to the other machine, I get this message:

Quote:
"Your Realm Works database version is too new for this version of the Realm Works software. This version of Realm Works cannot use this database and will exit.

The build number for Realm Works you are attempting to run is XXX. The database has been used with Realm Works with a build number of XXX+X."

So then I have to remember to go find the Realm Works Download page. It would be a small improvement to put a reminder and the link with this error message.
the_redbeard is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old August 26th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Never had that issue, but for those who do, simply adding a link to the error message seems like a quick way to improve things.

+1
Merion is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old August 26th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Don't know if this would work for sure, but you could try upgrading one machine, but don't sync the database. Then try to upgrade the other machine. Finally sync the database after all your machines have the latest version, preferably from your computer you last did any editing on.
Viking2054 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old August 27th, 2017, 08:11 AM
If I understand your problem correctly, on the main startup screen when you get that message, you should be able to go to "Tools" on the top right beside "Realms" and then click the "Check for Updates" button which will download and install the latest version of RW.
Gord is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old August 29th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
If I understand your problem correctly, on the main startup screen when you get that message, you should be able to go to "Tools" on the top right beside "Realms" and then click the "Check for Updates" button which will download and install the latest version of RW.
Nope. There's only an error message with the ability to close that error message, at which point the whole program is closed.
the_redbeard is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 29th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Which makes sense; until it opens the database it doesn't know the name of the Realm Works user.

Here's my question: how are you getting a newer database on a machine with an older version of the application? Are you copying your master.realm file around?

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 29th, 2017, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Here's my question: how are you getting a newer database on a machine with an older version of the application? Are you copying your master.realm file around?
This is the only way that he would be getting that error message.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old August 31st, 2017, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Which makes sense; until it opens the database it doesn't know the name of the Realm Works user.

I login to the application and it checks with the server and then I get the message. I think part of the local db does get updated even if the individual realms are not yet synced. Presumably, I could avoid this if I play offline but then I won't be syncing or using stuff from the other, newer db.
the_redbeard is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 29th, 2017, 11:53 PM
That's what I'd assume. My thought was that is that if you have to copy a giant data file and you know you need a newer version of the application to use it, copy the installer as well.

I agree with the suggestion that RW offer to go get it for you, though. Just that it's natural for me to bring installers along or go update the software myself when I know it works this way. Maybe I'm just old and used to programs that don't auto-update. :)

Last edited by Parody; August 29th, 2017 at 11:55 PM.
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 31st, 2017, 09:10 PM
Oh. Well, then you have the easy workaround: don't log in. Just switch to the Tools tab and download the latest version. After installing that, then log in. :)

I thought it was giving you that message before reaching the Launcher. It would be clearer if it said something about the database on the server being a newer version than the local one, but I suppose it makes more sense in context as you're getting it right after logging in.

It would still be a good change if it offered to do the update routine when you get that error. (Also if it offered to continue without being online.)

Last edited by Parody; August 31st, 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Parody is offline   #10 Reply With Quote