Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

DannyBoy2k

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Yeah...the Duskblade have a peculiar little thing that I have never seen elsewhere(not that I've looked too hard, I have to admit), in that it learn a spell of any (spell) level it already knows, every (character) level.

Now, this does make it rather difficult to make a spell progression, as it were. At first level, it knows 2 level-0(plus Int-mod), and 2 level-1. By (character) level 2, it knows either 3(+int) level-0 OR 3 level-1. And so it goes.

My question is, is there any way to fudge this, since it can't be easily entered?

And, my apologies if this has already been up, but I couldn't FIND anything, so...

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I don't fully understand the question. I do know that the Duskblade is included in the community set. See this thread for details on downloading it.

If you already have this and there's something wrong with the implementation of the Duskblade class, please let me know and I can look into fixing it for the upcoming release.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I've seen that set, and my opinions on the implementation is...not to be discussed here.
But apart from that, the Duskblade in that particular set is ALSO wrong. It adds one spell per level, of the highest level, as far as I can see. And that isn't the case. The class gets ONE new spell every level, chosen among the spell levels the class has access to. At the end, at level 20, that class will have 2(plus int-mod) level-0 spells, 2 level 1 spells, and then 20 other spells, spread out over levels 0-5(that being the highest level of spells the Duskblade have access to).

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Ok, I'll take a look at it. I didn't write the class, but if there's a problem with spell progression, I should be able to fix it.

Edit: Here's an update that may resolve your issue. Let me know what you think of it.
Attached Files
File Type: email PHB2 - Duskblade.user (122.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Sendric; May 14th, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Sounds good.

To quote the 'Spells Known' section of the class description,
'You begin play knowing two 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells, chosen from the duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell for each point of Intelligence bonus.
Each time you gain a new class level, you learn one additional spell of any level you can cast, chosen from the duskblade spell list.'

Thus you needn't necessary get a 'highest possible level' spell, if there is another of a lower level that you, as a player, have a greater interest in, for a certain build, or because you like it, or whatever. If you CAN cast level 3 spells, but a level 2 spell fits better or whatever, you add that one instead.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:02 AM
While I'm at it, how do you feel about capping the number of 0-level spells at 4 regardless of INT? There are only 4 0-level spells on the Duskblade list, and the warning that you need to add more spells when there are no spells to add can be annoying. I'll make that modification if you agree it makes sense.

Note: You would still be able to add 0-level slots through the custom ability process I introduced with the above changes for spells known progression.

Last edited by Sendric; May 14th, 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Makes sense to ME, certainly! It does tend to get a bit annoying at times, yeah. And, the solution is very very sneaky...I LIKE IT!

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Glad you like it. I'll make all the necessary changes, and add it to the release. Thanks for pointing this out.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote