Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

SeeleyOne

Old April 15th, 2017, 08:03 AM
I had initially recommended the Edge. The Edge and Advancement is the same cost. The only difference is that there is no way to have an "Advancement-only" Edge. Too bad, because there is a "creation-only", but that is really a relic from earlier editions as it used to be that Background Edges could only be taken at creation.

You could go the way of the other Edges and Advancements that are taken when they should not be and make a Validation warning if it is not taken with an Advance. But I personally hate the "after-the-fact" warnings.

However, if you cannot get the Advance to work the way that you want, as they are much simpler objects within Hero Lab than Edges, you might have to or else there will always be those warnings. And they will continue while using that character.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 15th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Well, these have to be paid attention to anyway since its dependent on an outside function the program can't check for anyway (the community "edge"), so that part doesn't bother me. But I'd have preferred to either do both of them as Edges or both as Advances.
Paragon is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:44 AM
It occurs to me that those errors probably are referring to something in the Advance mechanic; I should probably pull that up and look at it.
Paragon is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Hey, SeelyOne, since at least you're looking at this, when you were setting up the file you indicated on page 2 of this thread, how did you even know how to format the Advance? Obviously what CC showed me is a variation of the standard skill advance, and you have examples that seem to be modified attribute and skill advances in yours, but how did you even know what they looked like? Part of the thing frustrating with this problem has been I don't even have the originals to model off of (though I suppose I could just look at what you and CC did and try clipping out parts that seem unnecessary and see what happens...)
Paragon is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 18th, 2017, 03:37 PM
I looked at the stuff in the "C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\savage". There is a folder called "source" that has much of the data that Savage Worlds looks at.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 19th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Ah, I see--"thing.advances.dat". I'm not sure it will help, but it at least gives me something to look for. Unfortunately, doing things in there with a bootstrap is unprecedented, so I'll have to experiment anyway.
Paragon is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 19th, 2017, 06:17 AM
I suspect it'd be better if I could just use something like what CC suggested for the other one, but instead of <fieldval field="advDynamic" value="component.Skill &amp; !Hide.Skill"/> do something that specifically pulled Knowledges. Unfortunately I don't have a clue how to do the syntax for that. Maybe looking at the syntax on the Knowledges themselves will give me a hint.
Paragon is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 19th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Looking at the source folder is useful to see how things were built, but it's not active code so if you tried to make changes in there it wouldn't do anything. It can be useful for seeing the code used, however, and potentially for ways to use such things in your own .user files.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 19th, 2017, 08:45 AM
That was all I was doing was seeing what the native Advances look like. I'm probably going to fiddle with bits of code extracted today to see if I can use them to make the error messages go away. I'll probably start by just copying the whole code for the New Skill and start stripping off things.
Paragon is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 19th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Well, none of that worked. Any attempt to combine my bootstrap-using Advance with something like the normal new skill Advance threw error messages of one stripe or another, usually indicating it didn't recognize one of the tag assigns, or didn't recognize what a bootstrap was.

I think I'll leave this here for a while just on the off-chance someone can make sense out of those error messages I listed back in post #28, and if no one does in the next week I'll just have to go do it with the Edge method, though that makes my brain itch.
Paragon is offline   #40 Reply With Quote