Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Call of Cthulhu

Notices

1firefighter

Old January 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Hello all I'm new here and could use some help. I would like to add the marine from the Investigators' Companion, Volume 2. I would like to set it up so that when you pick the marine it give the -2 to edu and you get the 50 bonus points to you any combat of firearm skills. any help would be great i looked at the hero lab editor help but I'm still lost. Thankyou for your time
1firefighter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old January 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I wish I could help you but I am not an expert with the editor. You probably should not expect an answer from LW. I don't think they care about CoC.
Dwayne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
For the EDU modifier, while you're in the editor, from the Help menu along the top, choose "Help on Using the Editor". On the page that comes up, find the tutorials section, and the "Adding a New Occupation" tutorial. The occupation in that example gains +1 CON, so you can add the -2 EDU the same way.

I'm afraid Chaosium never gave us a copy of Investigator's Companion 2 to work from. Could you please give me more detail about exactly what "50 bonus points to you any combat of firearm skills" means? Copying the text from the book would be great.
Mathias is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
1firefighter

Old January 25th, 2013, 05:41 AM
sure here is what it says..

Earinings: upper lower to middle class
Contacts and connections: Military, Veteran's Administration

Skills: Bayonet, fist/punch, grapple, head butt, kick, knife, rifle, throw, plus possible specialties such as artillery, drive tank, electrical repair,mechanical repair, medicine (hospital) (corpsman)

Special: -2 to EDU, Add 50 bonus points to any combat or firearms skills. Soldier and marine war veterans are immune to some sanity losses, but suffer from a secret phobia. Upon death they are entitled to free head stone courtesy of the U.S. Government
1firefighter is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Shawn Kehoe

Old February 11th, 2013, 05:58 PM
The occupations in the 1920's Investigator's Companion (which combines the previous Investigator's Companion 1 and 2) break the standard Occupation rules in all sorts of ways - some have bonuses to attributes, others get more or fewer than 8 occupation skills, etc.

The real tricky bit is a rule that states all modifiers are applied immediately, *except* for negative modifiers to EDU, which are applied after skills are selected.

So a profession that grants +2 EDU gives an extra 40 skill points, but a profession that penalizes -6 EDU does not deduct 120 skill points.

As a side note: the 1920's Investigator's Companion is the *only* player-centric book in the active Call of Cthulhu range. It *really* should be part of the CoC data package, in my mind. I initially held off buying it for that reason, and I only did so because a player had to Skype in to the session and needed his PC in electronic form.
Shawn Kehoe is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM
There's not currently a good way to create a script that will handle the 50 bonus points to weapon skills. I think this will need a workaround. On the Personal tab, from the Permanent Adjustments table, you can either use the Skill adjustment to add the desired bonus to each of the desired skills, or figure out where you would like to add those 50 points, and use the Skill Points adjustments to add enough skill points to pay for them.

The way to add an EDU penalty without penalizing the skill totals is to add a compensating value to the number of occupation skill points. Here's how to do that:

Code:

#traitbonus[attrEDU] -= 6
#resmax[resOccup] += 120
6 EDU would normally mean the loss of 120 occupation skill points, so I'm adding that same amount back in.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote