Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Wave_Master

Old February 2nd, 2020, 08:40 PM
So, if youre like me, you are probably using realmworks, watching yt, writing in 8 other tabs, and performing real life operations like supplying the nervous system with coffee... and you have probably accidentally closed a realmworks tab youre currently working on by accident.
example: I am in the process of editing multiple tabs at once, by having the tabs open and ready to receive my edits. I need multiple tabs open at once to be able to read them one at a time, and then make the edits. or copy paste. so when you havent saved, and you click on a tab to view it, rw asks you if you would like to save.
heres my problem
why?
why would i ever say no? there is no conceivable reason i would not save. If i wanted to abort the changes ive made it is a lot more sensible for me to simply not make any changes i wasnt sure were going to be permanent. i could easily do my editing in google docs or something that processes faster than rw, and copy paste en mass. ok so why would i ever not save? i want to go look at another tab. SAVE. save for me. save all the time. why isnt there an auto save microfunction i can activate? i want all of my progress, every last word i type saved every... 10, 20 seconds. im not kidding. google docs does this. why would i purchase something that i could be doing for free?
it doesnt make sense that the option to not save even exists. It is extremely frustrating to have to do several minutes of copy and paste, only to accidentally close the tab, and poof there is NO history recovery function, which i guess would be a minor issue, but the major issue is that realm works for some reason thinks just because i look away for 1 moment that i have abandoned my tab and wish it would delete back to its previous version.... i dont have a cat, and i dont have children, but if i had any distractions like that that could possibly add to the chance that i close a tab rw would be... unusable. losing work is literally like being stabbed. there is nothing worse in the world than getting something right, and it poofs.
yes, save often, but why doesnt rw just do what every other program in the world do and just auto save? at the very least, allow me to disable the prompt to save my work when switching tabs, and instead just accept the save, always, never delete anything. if i wrote it, i want it SAVED. not deleted. i believe the save prompt was an act over over engineering to a fault. i dont need to be reminded to save, i need to never have the option to delete an entire tabs worth of work based on one errant mis click. half of the time i literally attempt to press, "yes save my work that i have poured my heart into", only for my mouse to hop over to "lol plz delete and make life HELL"...
or am i the only one?
Wave_Master is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old February 9th, 2020, 11:16 AM
I did something similar once.

It was along the lines of making changes, and then deciding to do a server sync without closing the application or going to the realm selection screen -- to backup the amount of data, just in case.

I had several changes to the tab I was on.

I clicked to sync with the server, and it asked if I wanted to save my work. Accidentally clicked no.
Synced without saving, and those changes were gone.

I'm generally in the habit of making a few changes.
And then the hotkey Control S to save stuff.
Make a few more and Control S again.

It wasn't the end of the world, I rarely have more than a snippet or two, without a save.

Hero Lab was, at one point randomly crashing whenever I added hostiles to the portfolio (I have one with the entire party, and add the bad guys who are saved in theirs... so the party can loot and I can transfer gear from the bad guy to the heroes. Then remove the enemies from the portfolio and import the next encounter whatever and whenever that is).

Anytime I do any change in HL, I save.

General habit... it sucks to distribute six pieces of loot across seven characters... sometimes the group gives three things to one guy and one each to three more with three getting nothing... helps the group the most.

Well, move one thing and save. Move the next and save.

It sucked moving six things, and crash next encounter importing (or maybe removing the guy we looted) and then need to re-import, re-distribute etc.
Easier to save with every last little change.

Not often is there a lot of changes (HL or RW, or Word etc) without saving recently.

But I have lost a few things in RW from asking if I wanted to save, and clicking wrong by clicking too quickly, or by having worked on tomorrow's D&D session well past my normal bed time.
Ualaa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old February 9th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Moral of the story - learn to save.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 9th, 2020, 03:37 PM
I've aborted the save many times.

I've never even tried to edit in several tabs at the same time. I never found a use-case for this.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; February 9th, 2020 at 03:40 PM.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 9th, 2020, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I've aborted the save many times.

I've never even tried to edit in several tabs at the same time. I never found a use-case for this.
Really? You don't use CTRL+Q?

I do this *all* the time. I'm entering information for a scene. CTRL+Q, open in a new tab, on a monster name, and the same for a new magic item, etc.

I'm rarely editing in a single tab.

I do save religiously. A habit going back to the pre-web (and pre GUI) days.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 9th, 2020, 06:42 PM
I use multiple tabs all the time but I also save before switching tabs pretty much every time.

BTW ctrl-Q just opens a new tab. Nothing says to stop editing the tab you're on before going over to the other. I always make sure to finish my thought before leaving.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old February 10th, 2020, 11:04 AM
Correct. Always save after edits. The tool also crashes sometimes and then your edits are gone for good.

When I paste PDF data I often paste into notepad++. This will strip all the formating , provides a temporary area and safety in case RW crashes and I can edit a bit better.

Of course I use also the in-RW-rich-text editor, but not for bulk "import" & changes

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; February 10th, 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Acenoid is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old February 10th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Moral of the story - learn to save.
I learned many, many years ago from a wise sage, "Save early. Save often."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Farling, you are just sick. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Correct. Always save after edits. The tool also crashes sometimes and then your edits are gone for good.
That is why the wise sage always said, "Save early. Save often."
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote