Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
JackOfAllGames
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 70

Old December 16th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silee View Post
Okay, I realize you're trying to avoid another Sim City fiasco but realize that the continual redefinition of "fall release date" has been more disappointing than some small bugs
I've been lurking around here for a while. I must have missed this "continual redefinition" entirely. As far as I'm aware, they have stated multiple times that it would be difficult to get out by the end of fall, but they think they might still make it. I believe that the last day of fall is December 20th. Some regions have different definitions of the seasons, but in the US (and this is a US company), the changing of seasons is marked by the solstice coming up on the 21st.

Again, I see no signs of this "redefinition". They may or may not release within the timeframe, but that's just how programming goes...and they've been clear on that.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; December 16th, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,413

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
I've been lurking around here for a while. I must have missed this "continual redefinition" entirely. As far as I'm aware, they have stated multiple times that it would be difficult to get out by the end of fall, but they think they might still make it. I believe that the last day of fall is December 20th. Some regions have different definitions of the seasons, but in the US (and this is a US company), the changing of seasons is marked by the solstice coming up on the 21st.

Again, I see no signs of this "redefinition". They may or may not release within the timeframe, but that's just how programming goes...and they've been clear on that.
Yes, you did entirely miss the continual redefinition. The original kickstarter set the release for May (early access) and July (official). Then came the first pusback to August. Then October. Now (allegedly), before Christmas, and even that's not a guarantee.

I was tempted to back the Kickstarter, but I held back. I knew if spent money on it ahead of time, and its release kept getting delayed (because that's never happened before; right?), I'd be pissed. I didn't, though. So I'm not pissed. And no regrets. I pay when I get the product.

Hell, I can't even recommend this thing to other GMs, because for all I know it could take another six or seven months, or even a year before it's released. Their track record of "this date looks likely" is not a good one.
EightBitz is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Yep, we did screw up our original estimates with the Kickstarter. We also provided a lot of insights to our Kickstarter backers along way regarding what led to the various delays. At one point, we did something highly unusual for Kickstarters and even offered refunds to backers. Our openness and communication was rewarded by having only a handful of refunds and many times that number actually increasing their pledges to higher tiers in response to the offer as a show of their continued support.

The general consensus of backers was that we were making the right decisions along the way and that it was more important to create a great product than a mediocre one. We think we've achieved that, and quite a few backers with access to the current Beta have echoed those sentiments. You'll be able to make your own assessment shortly.
rob is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,413

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I did not know about the refund offer. That was a respectable and respectful action. I appreciate your integrity on that point.
EightBitz is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Aleslosh
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 52

Old December 16th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Rob, as always, thanks for all the updates!!

Count me in for the Pre-Release.

At least I'll be able to play with it and start populating the software with my homebrew Pathfinder world in preparation for my next module! It doesn't sound like V1.0 will have any impact on my ability to get started with that part of the project.
Aleslosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Nikmal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 668

Old December 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Yes, you did entirely miss the continual redefinition. The original kickstarter set the release for May (early access) and July (official). Then came the first pusback to August. Then October. Now (allegedly), before Christmas, and even that's not a guarantee.

I was tempted to back the Kickstarter, but I held back. I knew if spent money on it ahead of time, and its release kept getting delayed (because that's never happened before; right?), I'd be pissed. I didn't, though. So I'm not pissed. And no regrets. I pay when I get the product.

Hell, I can't even recommend this thing to other GMs, because for all I know it could take another six or seven months, or even a year before it's released. Their track record of "this date looks likely" is not a good one.
To be fair.. if you HAD backed the Kickstarter you WOULD HAVE IT already!! Realmworks is worth every penny you would spend on it. If you don't buy it when it comes out I feel bad for ya. But I know i will be enjoying it when it does
Nikmal is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MaximusWindu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavison View Post
"includes 6 months of our standard tier cloud service (a $24.99 value)."

Can I get more details on what the standard tier cloud service includes?

Looking forward to using realmworks.
Will it possible to use our own cloud service with RW?
What security options will be with your cloud service?

Thanks for the creating a great product!
MaximusWindu is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
pyremius
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 219

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I'm ready to pick up the player app for my wife as soon as it's available.
pyremius is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
EightBitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,413

Old December 16th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
To be fair.. if you HAD backed the Kickstarter you WOULD HAVE IT already!! Realmworks is worth every penny you would spend on it. If you don't buy it when it comes out I feel bad for ya. But I know i will be enjoying it when it does
You're missing a few points. If I HAD backed the Kickstarter, delivery would have still been at least three months late. When the refund was offered, I would have more than likely accepted it. I can't say for sure though. It would have depended on my mood at the time.

As far as "if you don't buy it," of course I will. Why would I be hanging around this forum if I wasn't waiting to buy it?
EightBitz is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Metairie, LA, USA
Posts: 1,780

Old December 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusWindu View Post
Will it possible to use our own cloud service with RW?
What security options will be with your cloud service?

Thanks for the creating a great product!
I've seen a few folks respond like the cloud service were like a file sharing service, but I think LWD has made it pretty clear that it is not. It's a database back-end running on their servers. To my mind it may make more sense to think of it like a MMORPG, where your client does the heavy lifting of the interface that you see, but the companies servers will host your data on their end so there is a consistent version that your players can see with only the updates you've made (and made available.) So not really anything like a file share. In other words it's nothing like Dropbox or Dumptruck or the like.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.