Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

kitir

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
i think it would be cool to have hero lab as a smart phone app. could it be done
kitir is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Theocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to Theocrat

Old May 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
With reports that Googles Android phone has since October 2009 begun to capture 1/3 of the smart phone market {and I'm posting this from my Sprint Moment Abndroid} I too would love to see this. Heck would even be willing to fork over and license code.

Theocrat Issak
Las Vegas Lodge Gaming Agent
PFSTheocrat@gmail.com
Theocrat is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old May 11th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I think a smart phone, any smart phone really, doesnt make a very good platform for something like HL. i think a better platform would be something like the iPad or something like it. The screen size of the iPhone is just too small to hold all the information that HL does, it would require an entire redesign, then suport would need to be maintained for each update to HL.

I know that with the current smart phones you can view a PDF, so the character output in PDF form from HL is viewable on the phones. But i find this limiting as well.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
There are a lot of challenges to bringing Hero Lab to a smartphone, both in terms of "how do we fit everything on that small screen?" and more technical issues.

For example, my gut feeling is that the smartphone market will end up irrevocably split 3 ways. Apple, Google and Microsoft will each have ~30% of the market, and it's looking like it'll be almost impossible to develop software in a platform-neutral way.

That means if we did do a mobile solution for one of those platforms, it would be very hard to port it to the other platforms without completely rewriting it. Not only that, all 3 of the platforms above would require substantial rewrites of Hero Lab before it could run on them in the first place.

So unfortunately whatever we do for a smartphone app - if anything - we'll end up disappointing a lot of people.

That's not to say that it wouldn't be awesome to be able to create characters using your smartphone - we're definitely looking into the process, we just don't have anything to announce yet.
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Hendel

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:53 AM
I have been gaming for over thirty years, but I am new to Hero Lab and new to smartphones (I just picked up my HTC Evo 4G). I would love a way to take Hero Lab with me in the form of an Android Application. I know I can take my pdf files but it would be great if someone out there could develop it. The FAQ seems to suggest that the good folks at Wolf Lair would be interested in any third party creation or development. I cannot do such a thing, but I implore someone out there to do so.

Thanks!
Hendel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote