Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

drakahn99

Old August 30th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
Nothing has changed, we are still planning on having Starfinder out very soon, it will still be the launch system for Hero Lab Online.

We would love to accommodate every single customer we have, but we simply are not a big enough team to build a new program for every device/need, this is the best answer we have and we truly believe it will be amazing once you get to know it!

Yes, we will absolutely be giving a discount! If you purchase a year subscription it's all of $24.99. We want to keep the rates as low as possible, our goal is NOT to charge a lot, we aren't doing content prices differently, it will still cost the same as Hero Lab Classic and you will have access to the Classic version as well if you want to use the files in both when possible! You buy the system once, you buy the content once. This isn't a "cash grab". We are charging a very small fee for using our service so that we can continue to provide you with character creation and campaign management services far into the future.
i understand what your saying bj, but the needed features (printing/custom data) aren't going to be in when it launches. and i bought into realm works kick starter 4 years ago and I'm still waiting on features that were promised in the kick starter... at the rate that you've added promised realm works features makes me skeptical and shy of supporting another project by lwd
drakahn99 is offline   #41
Winterfyre

Old August 30th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
Yes, we will absolutely be giving a discount! If you purchase a year subscription it's all of $24.99. We want to keep the rates as low as possible, our goal is NOT to charge a lot, we aren't doing content prices differently, it will still cost the same as Hero Lab Classic and you will have access to the Classic version as well if you want to use the files in both when possible! You buy the system once, you buy the content once. This isn't a "cash grab". We are charging a very small fee for using our service so that we can continue to provide you with character creation and campaign management services far into the future.
In the case of Starfinder that's $24.99 a year to use the data packages we bought. If we don't pay we lose access to all of it. If your server costs jump, or you just get greedy and you double or even triple that how do we recoup the money we invested in data packs? At that point you would be blackmailing / extorting us to pay whatever fee you choose or lose access to easily hundreds of dollars of data packages.

What happens if your server goes down? Do we get a refund for having to cancel our game session?

What happens when your server gets hacked? Will all of our data be backed up? Will you carry the costs to restore any identities that are stolen as a result?

What happens if your cost increases and that 24.99 jumps to 49.99 or 69.99? Will you refund the cost of the data packages if we decide to discontinue because the cost is to high?

You are forcing us to assume a LOT of risk here, with no real reward to compensate us for that risk.

Why is there even a fee to migrate to HLO? If the data packs are the same and everything is stored server side migrations should consist of nothing more then checking a box on our account page "Yes I'll pay your extortion fee to access the data I bought via your online only service"

If data sets aren't the same and you are required to run double the development for every new package, then you don't honestly expect anyone to believe you'll eat the cost of developing everything twice, with no real increase in revenue do you? So the question is how long before you stop developing new packs for Pathfinder in HLC and force everyone to HLO if they want new content?

One last thought. Starfinder would work just fine on HLC, you simply chose to use it to strong arm everyone into your HLO product.

So telling someone you're giving them a discount when you charge them an ADDED 24.99 a year for something that should have and could have been done under the existing system without that 24.99 isn't a discount, its an added fee.
Winterfyre is offline   #42
drakahn99

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
One last thought. Starfinder would work just fine on HLC, you simply chose to use it to strong arm everyone into your HLO product.
i might also add that you state in the faq or somewhere that you need herolab online to take advantage of the multi party assets ie ships... to that i point to your current data package that contains the ultimate campaign material for pathfinder. in this you add an additional mode to the character creation that lets you build settlements using the rules presented in the ultimate campaign book. (this is similar to whats needed for ship building in star finder and could easily be converted if that package was not copy protected and unable to be edited) so in effect that argument in the faq is negated unless there is further functionality you have not stated)
drakahn99 is offline   #43
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakahn99 View Post
i might also add that you state in the faq or somewhere that you need herolab online to take advantage of the multi party assets ie ships... to that i point to your current data package that contains the ultimate campaign material for pathfinder. in this you add an additional mode to the character creation that lets you build settlements using the rules presented in the ultimate campaign book. (this is similar to whats needed for ship building in star finder and could easily be converted if that package was not copy protected and unable to be edited) so in effect that argument in the faq is negated unless there is further functionality you have not stated)
They stated that one ship could be accessed by multiple players at the same time. I don't think the settlement building in HLC does that.
Toblakai is offline   #44
MadTruman

Old August 31st, 2017, 08:30 AM
I'm intensely disappointed in this plan if managing Starfinder via Hero Lab Online requires the purchase of a package AND a monthly fee. I am similarly disappointed if offline use, particularly digital and physical printing, isn't going to be available.

I've invested a lot of money in the Hero Lab application to continue enjoying its use in tandem with the Pathfinder RPG. Based on what I'm reading, I'm NOT eager to open my wallet for what comes next.
MadTruman is offline   #45
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTruman View Post
I'm intensely disappointed in this plan if managing Starfinder via Hero Lab Online requires the purchase of a package AND a monthly fee. I am similarly disappointed if offline use, particularly digital and physical printing, isn't going to be available.

I've invested a lot of money in the Hero Lab application to continue enjoying its use in tandem with the Pathfinder RPG. Based on what I'm reading, I'm NOT eager to open my wallet for what comes next.
I agree that not offering a reduced feature version for HLC is a mistake. I know that there are a couple people I play with that probably won't be willing to subscribe, but I was already planning on gifting a year to them. (FYI BJ, you should make gift certificates easy to buy...)
Toblakai is offline   #46
Medriev

Old August 31st, 2017, 11:11 AM
Can I add my voice to those who are disappointed that Starfinder will be HLO only? I read the early post in this thread as clearly indicating that Starfinder would be in HLC by the end of this month (ie. today). The clarification that it would be HLO only (and delayed) only came post-Gen Con and some time after some posts that were fairly disrespectful to paying customers about being unable to answer questions for a few days after Gen Con.

I have paid literally hundreds of dollars to Lone Wolf Development over the years and I find Herolab brilliant for Pathfinder. My meagre posts on these boards are a testament to the fact that I am (was) 100% happy with the software and additional packages I have paid for. This episode, however, leaves a bad taste in my mouth and so I wanted to post here to express my disappointment in LWD. I cannot see me subscribing to HLO and so when, inevitably, the forced migration to the online software comes further down the line, LWD will lose me as a customer. From reading these boards I am not the only one who feels this way so I would suggest a change of direction is in order, for the sake of the business if nothing else.
Medriev is offline   #47
talsharien

Old August 31st, 2017, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
In the case of Starfinder that's $24.99 a year to use the data packages we bought. If we don't pay we lose access to all of it. If your server costs jump, or you just get greedy and you double or even triple that how do we recoup the money we invested in data packs? At that point you would be blackmailing / extorting us to pay whatever fee you choose or lose access to easily hundreds of dollars of data packages.

What happens if your server goes down? Do we get a refund for having to cancel our game session?

What happens when your server gets hacked? Will all of our data be backed up? Will you carry the costs to restore any identities that are stolen as a result?

What happens if your cost increases and that 24.99 jumps to 49.99 or 69.99? Will you refund the cost of the data packages if we decide to discontinue because the cost is to high?

You are forcing us to assume a LOT of risk here, with no real reward to compensate us for that risk.

Why is there even a fee to migrate to HLO? If the data packs are the same and everything is stored server side migrations should consist of nothing more then checking a box on our account page "Yes I'll pay your extortion fee to access the data I bought via your online only service"

If data sets aren't the same and you are required to run double the development for every new package, then you don't honestly expect anyone to believe you'll eat the cost of developing everything twice, with no real increase in revenue do you? So the question is how long before you stop developing new packs for Pathfinder in HLC and force everyone to HLO if they want new content?

So telling someone you're giving them a discount when you charge them an ADDED 24.99 a year for something that should have and could have been done under the existing system without that 24.99 isn't a discount, its an added fee.
These are all very interesting points that perhaps need addressing!
talsharien is offline   #48
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 11:49 AM
I saw nothing disrespectful from LW? They got back from Gencon and were sick and didn't get stuff up, seriously? That's a real minor point to complain about.

Online is inevitable. This is the way everything is going. I really only go to one con a year and my cell works fine there. Even if it didn't it's not that big of a deal, just print a copy before you go to the con.

The online excites me, I am really looking forward to the potential collaboration points:

I cast <Buff Spell> and can apply it to all party members.
I am the DM and can see the characters current stats including all buffs in the tactical console.
Party loot tracking and sharing.
++ more I am sure I am not considering.
Toblakai is offline   #49
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talsharien View Post
These are all very interesting points that perhaps need addressing!
Maybe a couple are, most are not. I mean.. backups and hacks, do you require all companies you interact online with to tell you exactly what they do for these things?

Price changes? That's another non-issue, it's a service, why in the hell would they refund the money if the price went up. Let's get some real questions answered not these useless ones.
Toblakai is offline   #50
Closed Thread