Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old September 22nd, 2017, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
[snip]

My issue with adding this into a racial ability is quite simply the limitation on how those things get formatted, one of which is the VERY short description(Summary Text) with no wrapping and the pdf output sheet.
As a side note if you are looking for a sheet that will print more than just summary text I was able to at least create the template for an extended sheet in this thread, if that helps any.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #171 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old September 22nd, 2017, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
As a side note if you are looking for a sheet that will print more than just summary text I was able to at least create the template for an extended sheet in this thread, if that helps any.
Honestly, I forgot I already had that downloaded. We just had our second session and I am trying to build everything out so that my players can get their characters built in HL so I can have a copy of them(racial properties/abilities where a group building effort finished in the last session).

This is a new system for ALL of us except one guy who who has played several hundred game sessions in SW(but it's been a long while), including with some of the SW game setting authors from years back.

I think in the long term I will likely end up having to clone the entire game system and build/rebuild much of this stuff from scratch(for example, I think I want all skills shown on output so the players know what's available and what's not).
jfrazierjr is offline   #172 Reply With Quote
Tekkmage

Old September 25th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Both the native character sheet and the one referenced have problems with skills that are too numerous or with names that are long. It would be nice if some time was spent on LWD's end to clean this up. It feels like a slapped together product where the Pathfinder output is much better.

Realm Works Beta team member.
Tekkmage is offline   #173 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 26th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Well, the referenced one is just a modified version of the base sheet. I was able to figure out how to get the full descriptions to print out instead of just the summaries, but it's a really confusing format to me so I consider myself lucky to have even gotten that far. In any case it is in now way a sheet put out by Lone Wolf, so essentially they can only be "blamed" for the formatting of the built-in one. That being said, if they do clean it up more I can always use that to try to make those changes into the one I posted as well.

I will say that I do have a request for enhancement some number of pages back for a user-friendly version of that sheet that we could modify, or some way to easily output to a form-fillable pdf or the like, but I'm pretty sure both of those things would require a major programming effort. And, to be honest, we've discussed here many time that we're pretty certain most of the monetary value for LWD is in all of the stuff they are selling for Pathfinder, and as such it will always be a higher priority for development efforts than any of the other systems they support, so I consider that kind of thing to be a bit pie-in-the-sky.

Fixing issues with too many skill or long names, however, might be more easily fixed by them, though. In fact I'd almost consider that to be more of a bug fix request rather than a enhancement.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #174 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 27th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkmage View Post
Both the native character sheet and the one referenced have problems with skills that are too numerous or with names that are long. It would be nice if some time was spent on LWD's end to clean this up. It feels like a slapped together product where the Pathfinder output is much better.
I'm afraid to do anything about this I need specific examples. So I can use the example to fix it. I am now working on the next update, so now is the time to get it to me.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #175 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 29th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I'm not positive of Tekmage's issue, per se, but I did test by adding 25 Knowledge skills to an otherwise blank character and the skills did roll over properly to a 2nd page, so I'm not sure what the issue is there. However I also then put in a Custom Agility Skill and give it the description of "Custom Skill With a Really, Really Long Name123456" and if I do a Print Preview it shows "Custom Agility Skill: Custom Skill With a " so a name that long doesn't line wrap or anything, apparently, so I think I was able to at least reproduce that part of the problem.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #176 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 29th, 2017, 10:53 PM
OK, let's not get ridiculous, here. Let's discuss actual skill names.
What I can see perhaps doing is removing that "Custom Agility Skill: " prefix on the printed sheet and the Skill list display. That'll help. We certainly shouldn't need to allow for 50 characters for a Skill name. Let's be reasonable.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #177 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 30th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Well, I don't know what Tekkmage needs it for, though, he'd have to chime in on that, I was just trying to reproduce the issue. It hadn't otherwise been an issue for me personally. Although I supposed if HL is allowing for a 50 character skill name presumably you'd want it to be able to print all 50 instead of cutting off at 42?

I'd never used a custom skill like that before, though, but I would agree that the "Custom Whatever Skill:" part is probably pretty redundant. It may not show what the skill is based on without that but I don't think the other skills do that on the printout anyway. Then again appending an initial in parenthesis for those might not be a bad idea, so something like "Athletics (A)", for example. It doesn't come up much, mostly just when leveling up the skills, but there are a few other situations where linked skills might be affected by something where that might be useful to have.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #178 Reply With Quote
Tekkmage

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:09 AM
I have the wrapping issue with more than 10 characters on a skill.

I solved the issue by creating my own sheets in excel. I created a new thread.

Realm Works Beta team member.
Tekkmage is offline   #179 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:59 AM
It's cutting off at only 10 characters? Can you maybe link a pdf printout here? I'll definitely check out your sheet (although I'll have to see if it will work with Open Office since I pretty much refuse to use Excel) but it'll still be helpful if there is an issue on the default sheets to see if maybe CC can fix it up for us.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #180 Reply With Quote