Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Silveras

Old January 17th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion
You are correct, of course. According to this page however, Forgotten Foes has stats for shriekers. And these I wanted to add to the encounter (the idea being here, that the shriekers wake up a plethora of other fungal creatures).
Also my question concerning dependencies still stands.
Dependencies.
Certain monsters may reference a spell or something else from an "official" product, so those specific cases will report errors. In general, if you have the Bestiary Bundle, you should have all the licenses needed for *most* creatures.

Shriekers and Forgotten Foes
Contributions to the Community Pack are made voluntarily by the members of the Community. It is quite possible that not all of the contents of Forgotten Foes has been added. It may be anywhere from "a few" to "all". Filtering the races list on "Forgotten Foes" .. it looks like only the Grimlock is there.

For Realm Works use
You may want to note the presence of the Shriekers under "Obstacles" .. as you would a trap. They add to the overall CR of the encounter, but really don't participate in combat -- so their absence from the HeroLab portfolio should not impact running any combat too much.

If you still feel like you want to have a HeroLab entry for it, you could create it yourself in the Editor. A relatively simple monster like the shrieker would be a pretty good first project choice.
Silveras is offline   #941 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 17th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Which leads me to my questions:
1. Can I even use the Pathfinder Pack with just the basic Rulebook package of HL and the bestiary bundle added?
Yes the pack is loading so it works. No I do not duplicate the same material from LW. So if something needs a specific Thing from a licensed book you will need to buy that book. The Community Pack is not a way to get around buying licensed material.

Quote:
2. If yes, what am I doing wrong? How do I find the shriekers?
Most likely we never added Shriekers. Most monsters where added to support the different Adventure Paths before those where licensed by LW. Meaning if no AP or Module from paizo referenced Shriekers we didn't add it. Sorry.

If you really want something you can use the editor to add anything to HL.

Like most community projects that are a work in progress and new stuff is added all the time. Over the years the pack has gone from dozens of people contributing to just myself. This means additions are added slowly.

Most focus is actually on Psionics and Path of War...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #942 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 17th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
Wondering if anyone was working on the PRC from faiths and pantheons.
Heartwarder?
Is that Forgotten Realms? If so TobyFox2002 has his own separate downloads for FR stuff.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #943 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old January 17th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Quote:
*Stuff*

Which leads me to my questions:
1. Can I even use the Pathfinder Pack with just the basic Rulebook package of HL and the bestiary bundle added?
2. If yes, what am I doing wrong? How do I find the shriekers?
3. If no, what do I need to use it?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry if this has been answered before, but I lack to time to read through the 90+ pages of this thread.
Shriekers are in the Core Rule Book as a hazard along with Green Slime, Phospherescent Fungus and Yellow Mold.

They aren't official creatures in Pathfinder.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

bodrin is offline   #944 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 17th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Having known several community projects, I totally understand that not everything is there. I just don't understand the rather clunky HL UI well enough yet, to figure out, what is there and why. But good to hear the grimlock is in there, I'm going to need that one in a later stage of my campaign.

I can make do without the shrieker stats in HL, worked without HL for years anyway. Just would have been nice to have the HP of the things right in my encounter manager as I know for sure at least one of my PCs will start hurling some kind of magic at it. Probably most of them ;-)
Maybe once I'm more familiar with HL I'll add it myself.

Concerning dependencies:
So I understand correctly that I can not only use the pack itself but also load creatures in my portfolio - like said beetle - that need books I don't own. I just will have empty spaces or missing functionalities, right?
I never meant to try to skip buying stuff by downloading community packs, I just don't want to spend a huge amount of cash on stuff I'll never use, as HL will basically be an elaborate initiative tracker for me.
Merion is offline   #945 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 17th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Quote:
So I understand correctly that I can not only use the pack itself but also load creatures in my portfolio - like said beetle - that need books I don't own. I just will have empty spaces or missing functionalities, right?
Yes and no. If you don't own the license for a monster in Bestiary 1 you won't even be able to select the race or add it from the Encounter builder.

If you are adding a 3PP class that gives a Feat from a book you don't own then just the "Feat" part of the class won't work.

The game systems are built in "pieces" or Things as HL calls them. So if a Thing requires a license you don't have it won't be shown to you. But how important that Thing is depends on what it is.

Quote:
as HL will basically be an elaborate initiative tracker for me.
Then your missing out on the literally thousands of things it can do. I am also sorry to say the TC is the one part of HL I never use.

Quote:
I never meant to try to skip buying stuff by downloading community packs,
First impressions matter. My first of you so far is reading you dropping F bombs on the forums. About something as minor as the UI. My first impression is then really low so I am expecting the worst right off the bat.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #946 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old January 17th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Shadow, is this error possibly from the community packs? I'm not sure how to track it down, it's in a portfolio with a dozen PC's.

Tag expression accessing field value 'gSizeDiff' for pick 'EqpChooser' that doesn't contain field
- - -
Tag expression accessing field value 'gSizeDiff' for pick 'EqpChooser' that doesn't contain field
- - -

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #947 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 18th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yes and no. If you don't own the license for a monster in Bestiary 1 you won't even be able to select the race or add it from the Encounter builder.

If you are adding a 3PP class that gives a Feat from a book you don't own then just the "Feat" part of the class won't work.

The game systems are built in "pieces" or Things as HL calls them. So if a Thing requires a license you don't have it won't be shown to you. But how important that Thing is depends on what it is.
That's totally fine then, as I mainly will use the tactical console to track initiative and whatever additional information there is will be welcome but not crucial.

Quote:
Then your missing out on the literally thousands of things it can do. I am also sorry to say the TC is the one part of HL I never use.
Well, my main tool I work with is Realm Works and it's fantastic! Improved my gamemastering at the table immensly. Just when it came to combat, I always came back to pen and paper to track initiative and damage.
But there are these HereLab Portfolio snippets in RW that kept enticing me. So I thought, maybe this can help me have the basic monster info and initiative and hit points in one place without having to track stuff on paper while consulting several browser tabs with the d20pfsrd.
So this is how I will start using HL and see if it simplifies things at the game table.

Quote:
First impressions matter. My first of you so far is reading you dropping F bombs on the forums. About something as minor as the UI. My first impression is then really low so I am expecting the worst right off the bat.
Sorry if I came of as impolite. I always forget how sensitive americans are about swearing.
I have to disagree about the importance of UI, though. From my experience in the IT business, the usability of the user interface correlates directly with sales. If I weren't dedicated to get HL to work for me, but instead someone who just gave it a shot, I'd deinstalled it after 10 minutes as I couldn't make sense of anything without consulting the forums or youtube. So I was a bit agitated when I posted about that. But I've posted before on the RW forums and hope to have left a more constructive impression there :-)
Merion is offline   #948 Reply With Quote
Arisiana

Old January 18th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
I haven't tried this on the iPad, but it should work fine - are you sure your copy of HL for iPad is up to date? Try updating it from the app store - what version does it show at the top-right of the "select portfolio" screen?
I don't have the unchained license, though I do plan to get it soon. The pack works perfectly on my desktop. The select portfolio screen says 7.6.4 (#646), with no updates showing in either the app itself or the app store. Pathfinder RPG v13.7 Pathfinder Pack v1.6
Arisiana is offline   #949 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 18th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisiana View Post
I don't have the unchained license, though I do plan to get it soon. The pack works perfectly on my desktop. The select portfolio screen says 7.6.4 (#646), with no updates showing in either the app itself or the app store. Pathfinder RPG v13.7 Pathfinder Pack v1.6
I guess my memory was wrong on this, because I just checked, and it looks like the issue does happen with the current public release on the iPad (#646). Sorry about that.

The good news is that the next release of HL for iPad fixes it, and it should be out early next week at the latest. Once that update is available, grab it and this problem should be fixed.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #950 Reply With Quote