Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 7th, 2017, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I am mainly a Realm Works user and bought HL only for the Tactical Console. Basically as an expensive Initiative Tracker. I have a Player Character Topic in which I have a HL portfolio with all my chars.
Will I be able to automatically update this with HLO? When all chars of the group are in the cloud, can I pull the information into RW instead of doing it manually after level up?

At the beginning of each session I load the PCs portfolio into HL and each enounter I add the opponents and remove them after the fight. Works pretty fine.
Will this still work with HLO? Will there be a tactical console? Can Realm Works interact with HLO in the browser?
In principle, you should ultimately be able to do what you've outlined in HLOnline, although I expect it to work quite a bit differently in practice. There will definitely be a Tactical Console that will behave similarly to HLClassic, but certainly not the same. In addition, since HLO will be web-based, you won't be pulling portfolios out of it to store in RW. You'll instead be tracking URLs that represent the various PCs and enemies. The overall net result will be largely the same as with HLClassic. However, the specifics will be quite different due to the disparity in the technologies involved on the HL side.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Xorez

Old September 7th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Hello,

do you have more information about how HLO will be deployed?
For example, if you use AWS, to which regions will you deploy your service.
I fear that the user experience outside the US might be bad because of higher latency.

Thanks.
Xorez is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old September 7th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Really, Paul?!?! There was only one sentence there to read, yet you conveniently chose to ignore the first half of it. After your earlier (read: disrespectful) antics in the other thread and now this, you need to take a timeout. Give it some thought, come back as a Hero Lab user, and stop trying to surreptitiously pimp your wares/agenda on our forums. I'm being dead serious here.

Thank you for your cooperation...
I thought I had apologized for my original post on the 20th. But after reviewing that thread I hadn't before you locked it so I will honestly apologize for that post, it was definitely out of line.

And in the case you were referring to the link in my signature I has taken that off as of this post. And clarified how I am a HL user.

My next three posts were strictly as a Hero Lab user.
I do not like not having control of the data that I would make.
I am glad that HLC will not be going away any time soon.
I do not care for subscription types of services where I would lose access to my previous purchases if I stop my sub.
I expressed appreciation for the FAQ, it answered clarified quite a bit of mine and people's questions.

And the post you directly quoted I can understand the anger with if you are taking a quick glance at it because it does resemble my previous post on the 20th. And I am quite sure that you are busy enough right now that you can't take an indepth look at each post. :-). But in this case the link actually goes to here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow), which is a software development tactic where you are saying that there are these features that you will definitely be coming out with, but do not have a concrete time frame you can or do not want to limit yourself to because of eventual bumps in the road.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylanfs (or Nylan)

Hero Lab Shadowrun 4E & 5e user
nylanfs is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
boojumbunn

Old September 7th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Heh.. The online Star Finder game I am going to be playing in will be starting soon. I keep logging in here to see if they are ready to start the beta so I can apply (or to sell it so I can buy it.) Hopefully it will happen soon.
Boojum the brown bunny
boojumbunn is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old September 7th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorez View Post
Hello,

I fear that the user experience outside the US might be bad because of higher latency.

Thanks.
This is a concern for me also, I run two online games that incorporate people from different sides of the world and this could be an issue.
talsharien is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old September 8th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Quote:
In principle, you should ultimately be able to do what you've outlined in HLOnline, although I expect it to work quite a bit differently in practice. There will definitely be a Tactical Console that will behave similarly to HLClassic, but certainly not the same. In addition, since HLO will be web-based, you won't be pulling portfolios out of it to store in RW. You'll instead be tracking URLs that represent the various PCs and enemies. The overall net result will be largely the same as with HLClassic. However, the specifics will be quite different due to the disparity in the technologies involved on the HL side.

Hope this helps!
Sounds very promising. I didn't expect it to work exactly alike, but as long as the results are comparible, I'm happy. Heck, it will likely be better than what we have now, as the tactical console is powerful but a bit clunky and old. So excited to see what you come up with when starting with a blank sheet again.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
Being in europe, this is definitely of interest for me too.
Merion is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 8th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Latency is an excellent question! And I can't answer it definitively right now. This is one of the contributing reasons that made us choose the Open Beta approach. We'll be profiling everything during the Open Beta period and working to make the necessary adjustments for things like this. The performance here in the States (where we're doing all our development) is very responsive. How everything performs elsewhere is an open question right now.
rob is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 8th, 2017, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojumbunn View Post
Heh.. The online Star Finder game I am going to be playing in will be starting soon. I keep logging in here to see if they are ready to start the beta so I can apply (or to sell it so I can buy it.) Hopefully it will happen soon.
I recommend subscribing to our monthly newsletter and making sure to get notified of updates on our Facebook page. When we officially open up the Beta sign-ups, we'll be announcing it in those places for sure (among others).
rob is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 8th, 2017, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylanfs View Post
I thought I had apologized for my original post on the 20th. But after reviewing that thread I hadn't before you locked it so I will honestly apologize for that post, it was definitely out of line.

And in the case you were referring to the link in my signature I has taken that off as of this post. And clarified how I am a HL user.

My next three posts were strictly as a Hero Lab user.
I do not like not having control of the data that I would make.
I am glad that HLC will not be going away any time soon.
I do not care for subscription types of services where I would lose access to my previous purchases if I stop my sub.
I expressed appreciation for the FAQ, it answered clarified quite a bit of mine and people's questions.

And the post you directly quoted I can understand the anger with if you are taking a quick glance at it because it does resemble my previous post on the 20th. And I am quite sure that you are busy enough right now that you can't take an indepth look at each post. :-). But in this case the link actually goes to here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow), which is a software development tactic where you are saying that there are these features that you will definitely be coming out with, but do not have a concrete time frame you can or do not want to limit yourself to because of eventual bumps in the road.
Apology accepted.

I still haven't kicked the Con Crud I got upon return from GenCon (over two weeks now). And I'm extremely frazzled with everything coming together at the same time for both RW and HL. So I'm very edgy and doing all I can to retain my composure at times. To quote BJ, it's best not to "poke the bear" right now.

The mapping tool I referenced is being developed by another company. As such, it's actually going to be available very soon now - not way in the distant future. We're simply planning to work closely with them so that RW can integrate very smoothly with the mapping tool.
rob is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old September 8th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Quote:
The mapping tool I referenced is being developed by another company. As such, it's actually going to be available very soon now - not way in the distant future. We're simply planning to work closely with them so that RW can integrate very smoothly with the mapping tool.
Sweet! Looking forward to this!

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #60 Reply With Quote