Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

IMoriarty

Old November 25th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Hey all!

Relatively new to HeroLab and trying to make a custom magic item for one of NPCs.

I've added +2 Stealth, and Quick to it, but the Stealth modifier isn't applied anywhere on the sheet. I've worked around it by adding the Stealth modifier on the Temporary Adjustments page, but I wondered if i were just simply doing it wrong.

Thanks!

~Ian
IMoriarty is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old November 25th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Yeah, that is a known problem. That is, that the Magic Items got messed up and are known to be an error. I will see if I can come up with a script to fix these problems until it gets fixed (or, the quick add to the next update, add just my script to it).

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old November 25th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I have not yet been able to figure out how to search through gizmos and make sure that their parent item is equipped. For now, in the least, it does display the skill bonus on the printout.

However, I have fixed the attack roll bonus for magic weapons. I placed the code below into two Eval scripts in a mechanic. I have found that sometimes there are problems when you give a source to a mechanic, so I build it into an "if" statement inside the eval script as it can be turned on and off more easily.

Traits 5000
Code:
~ Fantasy Companion is being used.
if (hero.tagis[source.Fantasy] = 1) then
~ Magic Weapons have the stupid effect that if one is in use, the highest attack bonus is added to the Fighting skill -- for all weapons! This goes into effect for some reason when one or more is in use, and the highest bonus applies to the Fighting skill directly.
var fighting as number
var pickFight as number
fighting = 0
pickFight = 0
~ Find out the highest Fighting value so that it can be taken back off.

foreach pick in hero where "thingid.miMelee"
   if (eachpick.tagis[Equipped.Equipped] <> 0) then
      pickFight = eachpick.field[miAttack].value
      ~ This will find the highest value for the attack bonus.
      if (pickFight > fighting) then
         fighting = pickFight
      endif
   endif
nexteach
~ If the attack bonus is +1 or higher, remove it from Fighting to counter the error.
if (fighting > 0) then
   perform #traitroll[skFighting,-,fighting,"Counter Magic Weapon Error"]
endif

endif
Pre-Traits 5000
Code:
~ Fantasy Companion is being used.
if (hero.tagis[source.Fantasy] = 1) then
~ This script looks through the magical items to determine their effects upon a character while they are active.
var modifier as number
modifier = 0

~ Custom Melee Weapons do not add bonus to hit to a single weapon. Fix it.
   modifier = eachpick.field[miAttack].value
   eachpick.field[wpBonus].value += modifier
nexteach

~ Custom Ranged Weapons add the attack bonus only if they are equipped. Fortunately it is applied directly to the weapon and not applied to the entire Shooting skill. However, this is not helpful when using a character that is printed out. It is better to just display the bonus whether or not it is equipped. This script removes the bonus when the weapon is equipped.
foreach pick in hero where "thingid.miRanged"
   ~ This next part is to avoid doubling the modifier as whether or not the weapon is equipped is irrelevant.
   if (eachpick.tagis[Equipped.Equipped] <> 0) then
      eachpick.field[wpBonus].value -= modifier
   endif
nexteach

nexteach

~ End of the magic item script
endif

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 26th, 2016, 10:50 AM
No, that is not a known problem. (At least, I don't know about it...)
I just created a magic ring that adds +2 to Stealth, and a dagger that adds +1/+2 to Fighting, and they both appear to work fine.
Two things:
1) The item needs to be equipped (this is all weapons need)
2) The modifier must be activated on the In-Play tab (for the other items. e.g. A ring can be equipped but not activated...)

What are you referring to, Seeley?

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd

Last edited by CapedCrusader; November 26th, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
CapedCrusader is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old November 26th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Seeley, have you tried parent.tagis[Equipped.Equipped] or container.parent.tagis[Equipped.Equipped]?
I'm not sure of the context you are trying to use it on...

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old November 26th, 2016, 03:35 PM
The tricky part for non-weapon magic items is the field you look at. It's called "misActive" and it's part of the Skill Modifier object. That tells you whether that checkbox on the In-Play tab is checked or not. It has to be checked (and that field have a value of 1) for the bonus to be active.

_
_

Last edited by CapedCrusader; November 26th, 2016 at 03:42 PM.
CapedCrusader is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old November 26th, 2016, 04:20 PM
I have the latest update. Maybe you have something that you have not shared yet?

When you equip a magic melee weapon it adds to Fighting as described above. Hence my fix. This is most notable on a custom magic melee weapon. Also, there is no reason to make this only show up while equipped. Whether or not it is equipped is irrelevant for whether or not it shows an attack bonus, just like it shows the bonus from Trademark Weapon.

And no, it does not have the bonus go to Stealth or whatever skill when a custom magic item or custom magic armor that grants a skill bonus add to the skill. Yes, we are talking about even when the item is equipped.

SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old November 26th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
[snip]Also, there is no reason to make this only show up while equipped. Whether or not it is equipped is irrelevant for whether or not it shows an attack bonus, just like it shows the bonus from Trademark Weapon.
To be honest I tend to prefer things have checkboxes on the In-Play tab. For many things (including Trademark weapon, and definitely magic items) I actually like being able to have an easy way to turn on or off the bonuses from those things since they can be situational and I like that flexibility, so I'd say there can be reasons for that being relevant. That being said I can't otherwise speak to the main issue at had without doing some other testing myself but I'd have to pull out the laptop (where I have HL installed) to do it and I'm still too stuffed from Thanksgiving to be bothered with that right now.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old November 26th, 2016, 07:22 PM
I am testing using the current release version, not my current development version. It's works as I've described.

It has to be in effect only while it is equipped and activated, otherwise the Tactical Console won't operate right. It needs to know the current active bonus.

I think I see your point about the printed sheet and Fighting, though, as far as the Skill goes. And no, I don't recall that being pointed out. I see it now, though. It's not the problem IMoriarty ran into, but I'll add it to my list. I'm working on the update this week, so the timing is good.

Hmmm... It looks like it (the Stealth bonus) shows up on my end. Take a look at the attached pdf. It shows the +2 on Stealth. It also shows the +1 from the Dagger affecting the Shortsword and the Unarmed Attack (which it shouldn't, really).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magic Item Test.pdf (157.6 KB, 8 views)

_
_

Last edited by CapedCrusader; November 26th, 2016 at 08:05 PM.
CapedCrusader is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old November 27th, 2016, 03:26 PM
That is so weird that the item works for you to add to the skill when equipped and does not work for me, and apparently not for the OP, either. Are you sure that you did not fix it and forget to share the update?

SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote