Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lkj

Old May 14th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Hello,
I'm considering buying hero lab with the 5th edition srd dataset. Currently my group largely plays remotely, using a combination of roll20 and editable google docs character sheets.
Is there any mechanism to import hero lab 5th edition sheets into roll20? Or, barring that, is there an export option that allows an editable character sheet that I could upload to google docs (some sort of text format)?

Thanks for the help.

AD
Lkj is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 16th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I think the most common thing people do is print to pdfs, though there is the ability to create custom character sheets. I'm not aware of whether someone has tried to build one for 5e, or if that would better serve your purposes when gaming remotely, but you might try poking around the boards or trying your own hand at making one.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the reply. I should be clearer about what I want however. When we 'edit' the character sheet in google docs it involves doing things like marking damage during the combat, adding magic items, spending hit dice. That sort of thing. I'm not looking to make a custom character sheet.

It would be nice to be able to create a character in HL, export it, then share it via google drive so that we can edit the text fields (hit points, conditions, status). That sort of thing. Having the character ported into a roll20 character sheet would be even better (being able to use the sheet to roll attacks, damage, saves, etc.).

But I will assume your response means that neither of these things are currently possible. We could track that sort of thing on a separate document, but it's nice to be able to 'write on' the character sheets directly.

Thanks again.

AD
Lkj is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 16th, 2016, 11:34 PM
Have a look at Kami. It allows you to do this.

https://web.kamihq.com/web/viewer.html

You can't edit text that is coded into the PDF though. You need to start with blank fields.
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old May 17th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Have a look at Kami. It allows you to do this.

https://web.kamihq.com/web/viewer.html

You can't edit text that is coded into the PDF though. You need to start with blank fields.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look at it.

AD
Lkj is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old May 18th, 2016, 06:31 AM
@Lkj,

Does anyone in your group have a Mentor account on Roll20?

I had a Mentor account for a couple months, and that allows you to write custom code for your game.

I wrote a Roll20 script that would populate my Castles & Crusades character sheet from Hero Lab custom output.

So yes, it is possible to populate a Roll20 Character sheet from Hero Lab output. The only issue is you need a Roll20 Mentor account, someone that knows the Roll20 API and also knows how to map fields from an XML file.

Boomer

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old May 18th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
@Lkj,

Does anyone in your group have a Mentor account on Roll20?

I had a Mentor account for a couple months, and that allows you to write custom code for your game.

I wrote a Roll20 script that would populate my Castles & Crusades character sheet from Hero Lab custom output.

So yes, it is possible to populate a Roll20 Character sheet from Hero Lab output. The only issue is you need a Roll20 Mentor account, someone that knows the Roll20 API and also knows how to map fields from an XML file.

Boomer
One of us did have a mentor account. I'll have to check back with him. Honestly, I'd be willing to get one. But how complex is the process of of populating the roll20 output from HL? Is it a 'couple hours if you know what your doing' kind of thing?

I'm actually a little surprised someone hasn't already created a converter. I would consider trying my hand at it, but I'm not exactly overflowing with free time at the moment.

AD
Lkj is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I'd say it's more than just a couple hours, even if you know what you're doing, and you know the Roll20 API.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
I'd say it's more than just a couple hours, even if you know what you're doing, and you know the Roll20 API.
Ah. Thank you much. I suppose that's why no one has done it yet. Sounds like the kind of project I would have enjoyed taking up in the days before having a couple of kids and a full time job.

I might poke around a bit. But I'll probably just end up hoping that the benefits of a synergy between these various programs is enough to inspire someone else who is willing to share. (Guessing that Lone Wolf and roll20 probably can't spare the effort given other projects).

AD
Lkj is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old January 5th, 2017, 08:05 AM
And since I'm being all chatty on the messageboard again-- I'll just note that I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to be able to import HL data into a roll20 character sheet. In case anyone has done this since I last asked.

Trying to get my buddy with more experience with this kind of coding to do it, but he's been too busy.

Cheers,
AD
Lkj is offline   #10 Reply With Quote