Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

basselope

Old September 14th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Ok, I haven't yet used Realm Works, but I own a copy as I invested during the Kickstarter campaign. Well, when it rains it pours and I find myself running one game and about to start running another one. This has all been fairly recent and I had almost forgotten about Realm Works. Here's the twist...I will be co-GMing one of the games with someone else, but not the other. I would like to use RW for both campaigns, but the person I am co-GMing with plays in the other game. Therefore, I don't want him to have access to the game he is playing in and not helping me run. Does anyone know if there is a way to set this up? I've read through the FAQ, but I'm still not sure if this is even possible.

Thanks.

Last edited by basselope; September 15th, 2015 at 09:11 AM.
basselope is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 14th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Well that depends on your definition of "co-DMing".
1- if you are running one campaign and the other DM is running the other, sure. Separate login should suffice.
2- if you are both DMing in the same campaign, maybe. IF there is enough separation between groups within the same overall world. BUT would still have basically separate files (DM) with some duplicating elements. IE races, places, religion, etc.
3- IF you hope to both run Campaigns within the same overall "world" via one file, I am afraid there is no way to mask "hidden info " from one DM and have it viewable by the other.
RW basically assumes there is only one "master" for the world (DM database) created.

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:55 PM
If you have each campaign as a separate realm in your database, then your co-GM can have access to only the realm that you want him to have access to.

There isn't a capability yet to share a realm with another GM through the normal sync method, unless you make everything revealed so that the co-GM can see everything in the shared realm. HOwever, only one person (currently) can make changes to the realm, the other person would have read-only access to the realm.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
basselope

Old September 15th, 2015, 09:10 AM
They would each be entirely different realms and even different game systems. One is going to be in Savage Worlds and the other in Hero System. My co-GM and I will be running the Hero System game together and I want him to only have access to that realm. Are there realm level passwords? Would he just need a Player License? Are there different levels of player access? Meaning, could I provide his "Player" full access, but not the rest of the group?
basselope is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old September 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
At this time, when you reveal something it is revealed to everyone that has access to the realm. They are working on granular reveals, but it is dependent on a few other key features being finished first, mostly being the content market from what I understand. You could make your Co-GM the only person to be invited into the realm and able to see it though and just deal with the rest of your gaming group like you've done in the past, at least until Individual Reveal comes out.
Viking2054 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 15th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Presumably once the market is available you will be able to do private transfers of realms so that one creator GM could allow one or more other "game runner" GM's to use it for their own purposes without the need to buy it from him.

Even without sync that would work for what most multiple GM campaigns do. For those rare instances where multiple GM's do create in the same campaign world RW would need a more powerful DB I think, one capable of doing transaction management for multiple users at the same time which is a very different beast than the engine they are using now.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
basselope

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I was reading in the FAQ about how you can use Realm Works on two different computers even if you aren't using the cloud. You have to backup the database and then restore it to the other computer. They can't be done at the same time. Would it be possible to have a second database on my computer for the game that I am running solo while having the other game on the cloud and simply changing my settings to point RW to the proper database?

Sorry for all the probably simple questions. I have lost my activation code and am waiting to receive a new one, so I can't even go in and mess around with the software yet. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row.
basselope is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 15th, 2015, 03:12 PM
All the realms are stored in a single database file, so it isn't possible to "share" only one realm via file-sharing.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote