Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
Critique me! What would YOU do differently? What would YOU add or remove? What was most helpful for you as a GM? What would be most helpful for your players? Would you re-categorize anything? Thanks in advance for the criticism -- both good and...constructive.

If anyone else wants to dive in with a similar post, I'd love to see your work.

I've cut 2/3 of the info as this is a published encounter and I'm seeking feedback on the layout and presentation so the actual text isn't necessary but seeing some of it provided context.

Background: This is part 2 of a 3 part encounter. The players have come across a bandit camp after witnessing some chaos on the road and they will then go on to a final encounter with the leader.

Bandit Camp.jpg
AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:11 AM
For the information items I'd move the check and DC to GM directions. It's not something the players care about and if the GM needs to adjust it for his/her group the skills and numbers may not match up anyway. Also, if a piece of information is discoverable with multiple skills, you only have to have one entry for that piece of information.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:45 PM
I am impressed by the layout and the amount of work that (I assume) went into it.

If I had to GM somebody else's work this would probably work well.

My own layout is not nearly as fancy or organised - but then again, I write for myself ensuring I can reveal what the player (singular, only one of my players have RW) should know.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
My own layout is not nearly as fancy or organised - but then again, I write for myself....
I'm the same way: I'd want to write everything in the order of the expected flow of the encounter, but that doesn't work for published adventures that have an expected encounter layout. In this example, I'd probably want to put the info about the body after the fight, with the expectation that the fight is going to happen before the PCs get to investigate the body.

Last edited by Parody; January 2nd, 2016 at 01:42 PM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:29 PM
Is there anyway to view the attached image in the OP to better see and read it? Do you all just have better eyesight than me?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:41 PM
As-is, on this monitor I can read it well enough to get the idea. You could always open the image in a new tab/window or an image editor and zoom in on it. If it helps, it's pretty standard Pathfinder stuff.

Last edited by Parody; January 2nd, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:02 AM
You appear to be avoiding the RW default layout entirely.

The "Overview" sections seems way too long. I would expect most of this information to be in the "Description" and/or "Story" and/or "Background" section. The RW default layout also suggests "Read Aloud" sections appear in the Setup not the Overview section.

The DC checks should be GM notes, so that the discovered information can be revealed as snippets of information.

The "4 rounds after the fight ends" (and general "After-effects"/Development topics) don't have a general section in the default RW layout; however I would expect to see it somewhere near the bottom of the article, either in the "Rewards" or "Additional Details" section.

You appear to have in-line stat blocks, rather than using the available Stat Block snippet type.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Lots of good observations and suggestions. Very much appreciated!

Adding DC rolls to the player text is an experiment. We roll in the open. The more I game the more I realize that players need appropriate feedback so they can play their PCs accordingly. If they don't know OOC that they made a tough roll IC, they can't roleplay it. It may or may not work out and it's easy to add a few CTRL-D's to change. As for fudging, it's easy to adjust the DC before clicking the reveal.

Maps will likely move to Points of Interest section. That puts them after the Story and closer to the Challenges. That improves flow.

The hint text in RW for the Overview Description, Profile and Story sections are overly broad and exceedingly vague by design. My goal is to create an entry that makes gameplay flow more smoothly than a PDF. Perhaps Intro, Body, Action, Reward, Conclusion would be more useful for my line of thought but the more I stray from RW standard the more difficult it will be to import or export cleanly. Given the default headings, currently my Overview sets up the encounter and my Story resolves it.

Encounter, trap, hazard info is all towards the end because it can take up a lot of space and make parsing the text difficult. It's also the least useful info after combat is complete.

Tactics are a section I add to all encounters now. It's usually muddled up in the module text and this provides me with a quick reference. If it's not there already, I sketch out a few likely items.

In-line stat blocks work well for my game flow and speed play. I can scroll up and down quickly as needed. I can always click on the HeroLab icon for a detailed stat block or I can open it in HeroLab.

I've gone back and forth several times the last two years on how to present NPCs within encounters. For me, the less clicking I do, the smoother the play, so I don't find the Stat Block snippets to be terribly useful. Links to Individual entries or bestiary have the same clicking limitation. For me, the in-line blocks act in a similar manner to the larger thumbnails for images -- they are a visual cue -- and hiding them would make them unlikely to be viewed in the thick of things.

Last edited by AEIOU; January 3rd, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 3rd, 2016, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
You appear to have in-line stat blocks, rather than using the available Stat Block snippet type.
I do inline as well. I'm guessing that the current statblock is designed with supporting third-party software in mind. I don't use Hero Labs, so I don't know if the Hero Labs Portfolio would be something different from a statblock or if you would link to a separate Hero Labs file from the statblock than from the HL Portfolio snippet.

I run D&D 5e and currently do no use VTT or other software, so I want my statblock to be viewable in the topic myself. I'm not sure what else I would be expected to do, have the statblock in a PDF or Word document that I load into RW. Seems like a waste of time, both to create and to load in game.

I just use a generic text snippet under whatever section seems logical for the topic I'm using to put my statblocks. There are easy to navigate to using the Table of Contents section in the content-links pane or just scrolling up or down.

Just wondering if I'm missing some use for the statblock snippet other than for loading data into a VTT or HL.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:37 AM
I like your layout for RW. Tactics, I think, is a very important block if.you are planning of other GMs to run your adventure. I also use inline statblocks, I would prefer if RW could multi-pane its info so.you could see different information at the same time like statblocks and encounter text.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote