Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old December 21st, 2014, 03:36 AM
Early morning, coffee not yet kicked in, thought...

It would be nice to have a section under RealmWorks where users could make requests for content. An example where this works well is the Cartographer's Guild "Mapmaking Requests" section on their forum. I've used that forum to commission maps for my campaign.

While I am interested in seeing what the RW marketplace will offer, it doesn't excite me much because it is rare that an adventure module fits well into my campaign setting. Add to that IP constraints and I find that it is often easier and more satisfying to commission content or to work out content-sharing deals with other DMs.

I suppose one could just post a thread making such a request in the general discussions, but if all such requests were put into on forum it would make it easier for content requesters and content creators to connect.

What is cool about this idea from RW's perspective, I think, is that it could turn RW in a kind of Guru.com/Elancer.com for gaming content. But, rather than having to create a whole new system for monetizing this, RW makes its money by selling licenses and cloud subscriptions rather than attempting to take a cut on every transaction.

Content consumers like myself would like this, because I can easily share my realm with a content creator who will develop content within RW minimizing the effort on my part. Also, I have a much more focused group of freelancers than I would using, say, Guru.com. Content creators should like it because they should make out better buying a RW license and subscription and arranging payment via (e.g.) PayPal than paying a percentage cut to Guru.com.

For content creators that are already using the marketplace to sell canned adventure modules, they could also offer service to customize their modules to other game systems or make other tweaks and customizations, within RW for a negotiated hourly/flat fee.

I think that this is one compelling use of RW that hasn't really been exploited yet by users or advertised by the developers.

Of course, as the coffee kicks in, I am reminded how cheap many of us tabletop RPG folk are. We like us some free content and tend not to appreciate that effort that goes into great adventure modules. Yet, enough people must be buying content to keep sites like DriveThrough RPG running. In the fall last year, I spent more money than was probably financially healthy on craploads of content and even more time gathering free content, hoping to speed up my campaign creation. Very little of it could be used without significant tweaking on my part. If I would have spent the same amount of money working with one good freelancer, I would have been further along, I think.

Just an early morning thought.
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 22nd, 2014, 09:40 PM
Its a good thought.. and can see this as a "migratory" to the market place under "freebies" as another thread had hoped for, especially if there were IP concerns.

Now commission based, will certainly have to be approached differently.

But I like the possibilities of the concept... maybe a lack of coffee is a good thing??? ....... naaaaaa
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 23rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
Lack of coffee is only good insofar as the anticipation of coffee enhances enjoyment of the first sip of said coffee. Speaking of which . . .
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM
I feel I need to point something out.

What you're asking for is pretty much the POINT of the Marketplace. It isn't limited to companies; anyone can self-publish material and distribute it as they wish.. within the bounds of Intellectual Property laws.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM
The difference is that the sites MNBlockHead is talking about let people request things (effectively posting open job reqs for freelancers), which doesn't appear to be a proposed feature of the Content Market.

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 23rd, 2014, 07:56 PM
I understand that.. and I am mostly replying to the part where MNBlockhead says he's not all that excited about the Marketplace because he doesn't expect anything there to be what he needs. It reads like he's dismissing the Marketplace and seeking an alternative.. but that alternative actually needs the Marketplace first.

That's where I see the disconnect.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
storeyl

Old December 23rd, 2014, 11:19 PM
If a forum is good enough a place to make the request (as suggested by the OP with other stuff) then all that is needed technically is the ability to import and export. The creator exports the realm, mails the files to the requester who imports it. You don't actually need some fancy 'RW marketplace'.

I believe the survey had some questions about import/export.

Last edited by storeyl; December 23rd, 2014 at 11:21 PM.
storeyl is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old December 24th, 2014, 12:04 AM
However, from the survey and to me at least, it seems that the Marketplace is a much higher priority for LWD then import/export. I have a feeling there are other things also considered more important then import/export like custom calendars for example.
Viking2054 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 24th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I understand that.. and I am mostly replying to the part where MNBlockhead says he's not all that excited about the Marketplace because he doesn't expect anything there to be what he needs. It reads like he's dismissing the Marketplace and seeking an alternative.. but that alternative actually needs the Marketplace first.
That's where I see the disconnect.
Sorry if it read as if I was dismissing the marketplace. I'm not and am looking forward to what it offers. I've been spending far too much money at sites like Drive Through RPG, so I know I will use it.

What is missing from such sites, though, is that it is just me searching, selecting, and buying a product. I would be interested in a way to buy services. That could include reaching out to a developer who has a great pathfinder adventure and ask how much s/he would charge to convert to D&D 5th ed., commissioning completely original content, or (most likely for me) asking GMs if they have any material like X and if they would be willing to share with me and maybe tweak it a bit for an agreed-upon sum.

I'm not sure that the marketplace will facilitate this. If it will, that would be great. Also, there is nothing, I suppose, preventing someone from posting a request to the RealmWorks discussion forum right now, I just thought it would be nice to have a "Content Request" section to the forums or something like that.
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old December 25th, 2014, 08:06 PM
It's not a bad idea, but in the end, I think it will end up going through the marketplace. If for example I create a world or setting with a complete campaign using the Pathfinder rules and you decide you like it but want stat blocks for a different game system, maybe those stat blocks could be added to it with some kind of relationship link or game system notes. Notes could also be added to change certain monster for another monster based on the game system, just in case the original monster isn't available in the proposed game system
Viking2054 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote