Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Quintain

Old March 29th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Shadow,

Ok, go ahead and put it on the mechanic. I defined it on the abilities themselves and pushed the change. Make the correction as you need.

While you are in there, I'm not sure where you have defined it, but we need to implement Psionic Focus better.

All classes/races that have psionic ability have the ability to gain psionic focus. While gaining psionic focus, you get to choose the favored energy type (one of the 5 standard energy types -- fire, cold, electricity, acid, sonic -- and more to be added later) that you can use when manifesting powers like "Energy Missile", etc. Cryptics also get to choose their target type for their disrupt pattern ability.

You can have up to two psionic foci -- One naturally, the other with psicrystal afinity and Deep focus feats.

The reason this needs to be defined better is that there are a lot of Mythic Psionics abilities that reference favored energy, and base their mechanics from that value. If we could get a single place where having psionic focus or which favored energy is chosen is able to be referenced, it would go a long way towards consolidating code and keeping things consistent on the character portfolio.

Not sure how complicated this would be -- but the psionic focus should be an on/off value, and the favored energy should be enabled/disabled based on the on/off value of the psionic focus. Cryptics should also have a 3rd value of target type for their disrupt pattern.

Last edited by Quintain; March 29th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Quintain is offline   #1121 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 29th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
Shadow,

Ok, go ahead and put it on the mechanic. I defined it on the abilities themselves and pushed the change. Make the correction as you need.
We seem to have a bunch of confusion going on in the files. There is only ONE single "Collective" class ability in use. This is "cPUCollect" which is the only one bootstrapped to classes. All other "Collective" class abilities are marked with a note of "Deprecated" and are not being used.

Meaning the simple solution is to remove the unused class abilities by really making them deprecated. Then we can update the Feats that reference the multiple Collective abilities:
Code:
#hasability[cPUCollect] + #hasability[cPUTacColl] + #hasability[cPUVitColl] + #hasability[cPW5Collec]
and make them only care about the cPUCollect ability.

This solves the issue of needing to make a new tag and apply it to class abilities that are not actually in use.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1122 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 29th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Quote:
All classes/races that have psionic ability have the ability to gain psionic focus.
Yeah and that is how things work currently so confused on this statement.

Quote:
While gaining psionic focus, you get to choose the favored energy type (one of the 5 standard energy types -- fire, cold, electricity, acid, sonic -- and more to be added later) that you can use when manifesting powers like "Energy Missile", etc. Cryptics also get to choose their target type for their disrupt pattern ability.
Where is this about a Favored Energy Type? The only thing I see is a feat named that.

Personally I feel trying jump to other Psionic books is a bad plan. Ultimate Psionics is not even 100% implemented yet. Seems strange to spend time working on adding optional rules when the base rules are un-finished.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1123 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 30th, 2017, 06:41 AM
As far as psionic focus: as near as I can tell, there is no way to add a second psionic focus to a character -- I could modify psicrystal containment and deep focus feats to add a second psionic focus if you could point me in the right direction.

Per Favored energy:

Sorry, wrong term: its active energy type, not favored energy (the feat).

Defined on Page 131 of Ultimate Psionics:

Quote:
Energy Powers: Many psionic powers deal damage of a certain type of energy, with cold, electricity, fire, and sonic being the most common. For powers that have the choice of cold, electricity, fire, and sonic, the manifester must choose after he regains his psionic power points for the day which of these four energy types is his active energy. The manifester may choose to change which energy is his active energy by gaining psionic focus. If he is currently maintaining psionic focus, he may expend it as a free action and then gain psionic focus normally to choose a new energy type. The manifester need not maintain psionic focus to have an active energy type. Wilders may change their active energy type when performing a wild surge. Kineticists are exempt from this restriction and may freely choose the energy type at the time the power is manifest, so long as it is within the choices allowed by the power. He could not, for example, choose fire as his energy type when manifesting concussion blast, as the power does not allow a choice in energy types.
As far as I know this is not defined.

Last edited by Quintain; March 30th, 2017 at 06:48 AM.
Quintain is offline   #1124 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 30th, 2017, 06:47 AM
As far as "jumping to other books", that is not my intent. I do coding in my day job, as I'm sure you do too. I'm big on "future proofing" the design aspects of code to ensure that we can expand on concepts which will prevent having to go back and redesign/recode things once we reach that point.

Being big on Psionics from DSP, I know that there will be additional feats/abilitiies coming down the road in regards to active energy type that will add to the list, so coding for this future expectation is good design, imo.
Quintain is offline   #1125 Reply With Quote
Skarn

Old March 30th, 2017, 10:43 AM
@ShadowChemosh

Feature Request: ShadowChemosh's Adjustments (More Concentration Skills)

I just recently discovered the Caster Level & Concentration "Skills" that you added to the CP. Very helpful; I'll be putting them on any of my casters that they're set up for.

I'd quite appreciate it if you could add the Concentration "Skill" for the psychic casters from Occult Adventures.

This is especially important for Kineticists, as Concentration info doesn't appear on their class tab. (I mentioned this to Lone Wolf back in August, and they still haven't updated the tab.)
Skarn is offline   #1126 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 30th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Quote:
As far as "jumping to other books", that is not my intent. I do coding in my day job, as I'm sure you do too. I'm big on "future proofing" the design aspects of code to ensure that we can expand on concepts which will prevent having to go back and redesign/recode things once we reach that point.
I was tired when I wrote that.... These are good points about trying to build the future.

Quote:
Being big on Psionics from DSP, I know that there will be additional feats/abilities coming down the road in regards to active energy type that will add to the list, so coding for this future expectation is good design, imo.
Good point. I will have to take a look. The big hold back is that LW did a bunch of the Psionic UI components. Meaning I really can't change the Psioincs tab at all. So all I could do would be to put something on the In-Play tab.

I could "try" and see if LW will change the UI but not sure how much more time they are willing to put into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn View Post
@ShadowChemosh

Feature Request: ShadowChemosh's Adjustments (More Concentration Skills)

I just recently discovered the Caster Level & Concentration "Skills" that you added to the CP. Very helpful; I'll be putting them on any of my casters that they're set up for.

I'd quite appreciate it if you could add the Concentration "Skill" for the psychic casters from Occult Adventures.

This is especially important for Kineticists, as Concentration info doesn't appear on their class tab. (I mentioned this to Lone Wolf back in August, and they still haven't updated the tab.)
Oh yeah I meant to do the Occult classes and totally forgot before the last release. Thanks for the reminder. These should make it in the next release.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1127 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 30th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Good point. I will have to take a look. The big hold back is that LW did a bunch of the Psionic UI components. Meaning I really can't change the Psioincs tab at all. So all I could do would be to put something on the In-Play tab.

I could "try" and see if LW will change the UI but not sure how much more time they are willing to put into it.
Yeah, I'm not sure how easy the components themselves are. Since the Cryptic and their chosen type is pretty unique, I've got that taken care of. Active Energy type and the ability to add a second psionic focus through the psicrystal containment feat and Deep focus are pretty intrinsic though -- to every psionic character.

I couldn't even find the code on the psionic focus at all. Maybe they can remove it from the base set and give us their code to include in the community pack so that it won't be so unchangeable.

I do know that there will need to be a change to the PUPsiFocus procedure to enable a check against the 2nd Psionic focus, though.

Then we can go back and have the metapsionic feats and all the feats that depend on psionic focus check properly and disable if there is no focus found.

I opened a bug report with support to see if they would make the changes for us.

Last edited by Quintain; March 30th, 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Quintain is offline   #1128 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 30th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Ok, more concept/coding help needed:

The "Extra Discipline" mythic ability (can be chosen up to 3 times) adds access to a chosen discipline's powers to the character.

We already have an example of this under the Dual disciple archetype. However, that archetype presumes only a single secondary discipline, whereas a Mythic Dual Disciple can have up to 5 depending on the number of times the ability is chosen.

Psuedo-codingly, we'd count the number of times this ability is chosen (With the "count" being modified by 1 if it is a dual disciple), and that number would determine which level of custom ability (secondary, tertiary, quartenary, quintary, etc) is opened up.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of example code to work with. Any assistance would be appreciated.

As a side note: is there any place to find the various "res?" items so #resmax[] can be used for other things?

Last edited by Quintain; March 30th, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Quintain is offline   #1129 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 30th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Per the mulitple discipline abilities between Dual Disciple/Added Discipline/Extra Discipline

I changed dual disciple to not add a secondary discipline, but just increase the custom ability count by 1 so a second primary discipline can be chosen. Seems simpler.

Shadow: Can you remove all the secondary psion disciplines from the custom ability list -- I don't think they are needed anymore. -- actually delete them, don't depricate -- the only thing that used them was the Dual Disciple -- I think I'll need to repurpose them under the mythic psionics user file -- with the secondary discipline re-done with just custom abilities and the a new tertiary one added with just access to the power list for the discipline.

Last edited by Quintain; March 30th, 2017 at 09:11 PM.
Quintain is offline   #1130 Reply With Quote