Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

DMayhew469

Old April 5th, 2014, 04:50 AM
So does anyone know how to create stock characters for the Encounter Builder? Not being able to do this makes the EB useless for the 4e game system.
DMayhew469 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 5th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Same way you build NPCs / Monsters. You build a portfolio of them and then rename the portfolio... Whatever.stock and it changes them to stock encounters. Lone Wolf cannot provide them due to not having a license with WotC.

You will want to enable data file debugging so that you can "Prepare the portfolio for distribution" first before renaming it, but that is the general idea.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; April 5th, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Just to be thorough, you have run the D&DI downloader right?

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:27 AM
In Hero Lab's Tools menu, choose "Explore Folders...Game System Data Folder". Note where that folder is. Once you've created the NPC or Monster you want to add to the encounter builder, save the file to that game system data folder, instead of to the default save location. Then it will be added to the encounter builder. The change in file extensions that RavenX mentioned is no longer needed.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In Hero Lab's Tools menu, choose "Explore Folders...Game System Data Folder". Note where that folder is. Once you've created the NPC or Monster you want to add to the encounter builder, save the file to that game system data folder, instead of to the default save location. Then it will be added to the encounter builder. The change in file extensions that RavenX mentioned is no longer needed.
Hmmm... I'll have to read more about this. I tip my hat to the code team. You've found a simpler way of doing things.

I'm worried though because I remember using the monster data in 4e in hero lab before. Is the downloader still grabbing the data?

RavenX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Griffonbait

Old August 26th, 2017, 04:16 AM
This has been of great help. Thanks!

I finally got HL to be able to create 4e encounters - yay!

I know I can enter in each monster from the 4e books, but I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Does anyone have, or know of, a 4e Monster Manual(s) portfolio (.por) or stock (.stock) file(s) with the monster details already entered? Even if not completed, at least it would be a start.

At this point, I am adding the monsters that my players encounter. It is slow progress, but I am sure others must have made up their 4e monsters, and now either have them stored away, because they have moved on to 5e, or are still using them for encounter building.

I am also using Real Works (RW) and linking in my D&D4e game to HL portfolios. Is there another way (easy/hard) to get data from RW into HL?

Any ideas would be welcome, other than switching to 5e (I play that too).

Cheers
Griffonbait is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
So I no longer have to rename my stock files as .stock anymore?

RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old September 4th, 2017, 09:03 PM
I don't think it ever was as long as you have individual portfolios.
Paragon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote