Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old February 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I haven't a clue how to begin coding that so it would come up properly, how exactly would assign racial spell casting after the race has been chosen. And as for the Custom abilities, I wouldn't want to simply overwrite them..

How would a cleric choose domains, or a wizard select specialized schools, for some classes it isn't an issue. But it is for many, and since we are adding class abilities, we are also limited to how we can use them.

Not to mention the difficulties with class abilities and feats that run off of class abilities. For the base class that's easy, but for the variation we are adding.

Rogue/Sorc variant class: and then they wanted to go. Woodland rogue, since we have to use the Sorcerer as a base class, the variants that affect the rogue would no longer be applicable. whole mess of messiness.

And alot of fun to try and do, which is why I've played around with it.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Making a copy of the Rakshasa race, it looks like you would have to add a SplLookup tag to the race, and set the cMagicLev field on that as well. Probably needs to happen early as possible.
Aaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
strike277

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
SyliMaahn wrote:

Unfortunately, Hero Lab can't create gestalt characters yet. We have
plans to add the functionality for this over the next few months.

Thanks,

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
??, So what's the progress after 5 years?
strike277 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Rage123

Old June 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike277 View Post
This.

My GM told me to make a gestalt, and I was looking for software to make it easier. I want to make a Sylph Ninja/Druid. Can Herolabs do this yet?

Thanks for your time!
Rage123 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
af22man

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike277 View Post
Bump this to the top
af22man is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old June 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I'll see if I can make a Ninja/Druid over the week and post it here, it wont be pretty but I'll probably (mostly) work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage123 View Post
My GM told me to make a gestalt, and I was looking for software to make it easier. I want to make a Sylph Ninja/Druid. Can Herolabs do this yet?
Thanks for your time!
Also, a question for the staff or those knowledgeable, in these matters:

How can one force a caster class to default to the "Racial Spells," lets say I wanted to force a race to have racial levels.

After I have that, I can try and set up gestalts. I know people want them and thats the only problem I have when making them. Cant gestalt two caster classes, which limits their usefulness dramatically.

I'm assuming this is possible otherwise you wouldn't be able to create racial levels. (If you can create them at character creation, it stands to reason you can force it to occur after.)

If you can point me in the right direction, I'll see if I can set up some files that have gestalts until you can get something more stable going.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 1st, 2014, 04:57 AM
While I have never used Gestalt characters, there is clearly a need for them within the community. I will look at what it would take to implement something for the community set.
Sendric is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 1st, 2014, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
While I have never used Gestalt characters, there is clearly a need for them within the community. I will look at what it would take to implement something for the community set.
Well, I was off to a promising start, but there are some things I can't seem to resolve. So it looks like gestalt characters need to be created on a case-by-case basis unless/until support is added from LW's side.

As for giving your race spells, try using the SplLookup.? tag class (ie. SplLookup.cHelpSor) and then giving a value to the field cMagicLev.
Sendric is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old July 1st, 2014, 09:59 AM
Gestalt classes, themselves are not particularly hard to implement, at least ones that do not have more than one caster class.

I've done a few of them myself using variants, the problem is when you get to classes with two caster classes, assigning those to racial levels from a class.

Also, if you have say, a rogue and a wizard both use custom abilities... what do you do?

The final issue I've run into is the class abilities mouse over, it only shows a list of the base classes' abilities and does not include specials from the added class. Which, is minor, but still frustrating.
---

Your suggestion works, except it gives the following error:

Code:
No panel linkage defined for thing 'rEQAlicorn'
Location: 'evalrule' script Component 'Spellcast' (Eval Rule '#3') near line 55
Where 'rEQAlicorn' was the name of the race being tested. I applied the code from a race directly not from a varient class linking it to a race, that might be a bit more complicated. But it shows the basic principle being workable. This helps alot.

Last edited by TobyFox2002; July 1st, 2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Reply posted while original post was being made.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
Gestalt classes, themselves are not particularly hard to implement, at least ones that do not have more than one caster class.
No, but I was going to try to make it easier to add through an adjustment. Something like Gestalt - Sorcerer, which could then be added to any other base class. This could have solved a lot of the issues with keeping track of spells individually. Unfortunately, you can just bootstrap the cHelpXX class level (which provides the desired class tab) because you get a ton of errors. I then tried to create a class with no max count (because you can't bootstrap something with a non-zero max count). This removes the errors, but provides a whole host of other problems, primarily because it adds a level to the character. Many things can be suppressed, and maybe in time I can find a way to work it, but right now its looking like a gigantic pain in the rear. I'll give it some more thought. Maybe I can find another way.

Quote:
Where 'rEQAlicorn' was the name of the race being tested. I applied the code from a race directly not from a varient class linking it to a race, that might be a bit more complicated. But it shows the basic principle being workable. This helps alot.
Glad I can help. I didn't test it out, but those are the two things that the Rakshasa uses to get a racial spells tab.
Sendric is offline   #20 Reply With Quote