Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:09 AM
Ok Community, here is your chance to Role Play.... Your the CEO in the staff meeting for Realm Works. What if you were Rob?... The person that decides "THIS is the next feature we will focus on after the release of RW Players edition."
What would you have the team focus on for the ONE NEXT Feature?

For me,

Custom Calendars
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 23rd, 2014, 07:25 AM
Isn't this what this whole forum is for? What happens if this list gives different results from the +1 counts of forum threads and the impressions given from discussions in other threads?

Not so sure that side-stepping the mechanisms LW has provided to help us give input into the prioritization process to provide yet another list that will have to be reconciled with the existing ones is going to be very productive.
MaxSupernova is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Isn't this what this whole forum is for? What happens if this list gives different results from the +1 counts of forum threads and the impressions given from discussions in other threads?

Not so sure that side-stepping the mechanisms LW has provided to help us give input into the prioritization process to provide yet another list that will have to be reconciled with the existing ones is going to be very productive.
I don't disagree, but, maybe rob is looking for a different angle to assess the detail this section provides?
A most important next perhaps?
This thread being an attempt to comply with a request.
Here>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by rob
The question then becomes which features are in higher demand by users, as that will be a significant component in our prioritization of tasks after Player Edition finally goes out. I'm not sure if there's a thread for this in the Feature Request forum, but there definitely should be, as the votes there will be important to that prioritization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG
I'm sure there are varied +1 listings for features.. and I assume Liz / Colen (I know assume is dangerous) may have better insight as to where those "counts are" or the ability to develop polls (I have that on another forum I write for)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG
So per Rob's Request,
Here is my attempt.
So without the ability to "count the +1's " I will happy hand update, if that proves to be a useful tool.
:-)

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; September 23rd, 2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Added the reason for thread
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:10 AM
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:41 AM
If I were rob I'd do what needed to be done and go ahead with marketplace/sharing. Because that's what's really the next step in the evolution of the product, and bringing on more content providers is a key part of the business plan. Now me as a user would like calendars or some way to get context-sensitive feedback, but as a CEO he has to think about what's going to move the product forward and make money.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
First of all, please do NOT use this as a thread for stating everyone's separate #1 priorities. We have the Feature Requests forum for that purpose right now and will be taking a second step with that in the near future. Apologies to @DarkLordGalen and others for not being clear with my post in the other thread. My intent there was to suggest there should be a Feature Request thread to capture the votes of users interested in seeing individual player reveal - nothing more.

As for what my priorities actually are, a critical goal for me is the financial independence of the product. Right now, Realm Works development costs are being paid for by our other products. The sooner that Realm Works can pay its own bills, the sooner we can both speed up development on Realm Works AND invest some of those funds into accelerated development on all the cool features we want to add to our OTHER products. So that makes the Content Market a key objective for us, exactly as @Ladyofdragons surmised.

That, however, does NOT mean that we will be focusing exclusively on the Content Market once Player Edition is finally out. There are a long list of features that users want badly, and another long list of features that will make the creation and consumption of published/shared content easier and better for everyone. It's a balancing act where we'll be striving to find the right combination of everything.

At the end of the day, the absolute #1 priority for me is to make the product better for the maximum number of users. And that has to be reconciled against the financials of being able to pay everyone. With every choice, one group of users is going to be thrilled and another is going to be disappointed, because we can't do it all at once. It's the unfortunate reality of having limited resources and operating within our means. All I can say to that is our other products started out from relatively humble initial feature sets and continued to evolve over time into de facto industry standards. That's our plan with Realm Works as well. We have a solid foundation in place for Realm Works that will only get better in the months and years to come.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
First of all, please do NOT use this as a thread for stating everyone's separate #1 priorities. We have the Feature Requests forum for that purpose right now and will be taking a second step with that in the near future. Apologies to @DarkLordGalen and others for not being clear with my post in the other thread. My intent there was to suggest there should be a Feature Request thread to capture the votes of users interested in seeing individual player reveal - nothing more.
.............................Thanks!
Rob, Sorry for my confusion,,,, as noted above (like MaxSupernova) on the surface I did find it a bit peculiar, but was happy to support in any small way the feedback process, hence the compliance.

As to the individual reveal, I do recall it being discussed elsewhere.

Not to speak for Lady of Dragons nor Max (pretty sure they would concur) BUT, PLEASE feel Free to kill the entire thread to avoid any confusion for those that fail to read the whole thread.... the intent was certainly not to circumvent the process nor muddy the water.:

Thanks for the clarification and feedback.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old September 23rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
I'm reposting this here because it fits the question, it's not a priority list, and it has potential to help make RW self-supporting.

Rob,

I hope you realize you can also target writers with Realm Works. Short story writers, playwrights, novelists, screen writers. Realm Works has a lot Potential (with a capital P) beyond your original vision.

Imagine someone has a long running series, like Star Trek, or a story arc series like Babylon 5. A product like Realm Works could track every character across every episode and facilitate continuity checking.

With a story arc series, the head writer could share limited content with an episode writer or with certain actors so they know only as much as they need to at the moment.

I'm sure there are other tools out there that are used for these things, but I doubt that they all have all the features of Realm Works, let alone all the planned features.

There may be a whole suite of feature requests that comes along with such a thing, including "we'd like our own, private cloud server", but those requests could also come with "here's my checkbook, tell me your price."

So, just wanted to tell you, I think you're selling your product short.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 24th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I'm reposting this here because it fits the question, it's not a priority list, and it has potential to help make RW self-supporting.

Rob,

I hope you realize you can also target writers with Realm Works. Short story writers, playwrights, novelists, screen writers. Realm Works has a lot Potential (with a capital P) beyond your original vision.

Imagine someone has a long running series, like Star Trek, or a story arc series like Babylon 5. A product like Realm Works could track every character across every episode and facilitate continuity checking.

With a story arc series, the head writer could share limited content with an episode writer or with certain actors so they know only as much as they need to at the moment.

I'm sure there are other tools out there that are used for these things, but I doubt that they all have all the features of Realm Works, let alone all the planned features.

There may be a whole suite of feature requests that comes along with such a thing, including "we'd like our own, private cloud server", but those requests could also come with "here's my checkbook, tell me your price."

So, just wanted to tell you, I think you're selling your product short.
This is definitely something we've realized, and I think many on the team (including Rob) see this Potential. However, Realm Works is first and foremost a tool for Game Masters. We've promised a lot of features and tools for GMs, so we're going to focus on fulfilling those promises. Writers will find many of those features valuable as well, so it will be a win-win. However, writer specific features or a "writer version" of Realm Works (if we decide to do such a thing), would likely be down the road after we finish delivering on GM-specific features that we've promised from the beginning.
liz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

As for what my priorities actually are, a critical goal for me is the financial independence of the product. Right now, Realm Works development costs are being paid for by our other products. The sooner that Realm Works can pay its own bills, the sooner we can both speed up development on Realm Works AND invest some of those funds into accelerated development on all the cool features we want to add to our OTHER products. So that makes the Content Market a key objective for us, exactly as @Ladyofdragons surmised.

That, however, does NOT mean that we will be focusing exclusively on the Content Market once Player Edition is finally out. There are a long list of features that users want badly, and another long list of features that will make the creation and consumption of published/shared content easier and better for everyone. It's a balancing act where we'll be striving to find the right combination of everything.

At the end of the day, the absolute #1 priority for me is to make the product better for the maximum number of users. And that has to be reconciled against the financials of being able to pay everyone. With every choice, one group of users is going to be thrilled and another is going to be disappointed, because we can't do it all at once. It's the unfortunate reality of having limited resources and operating within our means. All I can say to that is our other products started out from relatively humble initial feature sets and continued to evolve over time into de facto industry standards. That's our plan with Realm Works as well. We have a solid foundation in place for Realm Works that will only get better in the months and years to come.

Thanks!
If HeroLab is any indication of the future of Realm Works, well it is a bright future indeed.
Exmortis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote